Fordmods Logo

powerdyne charger 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: powerdyne charger
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what are peoples thoughts on a powerdyne supercharger kit from capa, for the e series 5ltrs? looking into it, but as i dont need to change internals, would it be a good idea to get a bigger MAF, throttle body and possibly inlet manifold?
thanks

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

A Powerdyne is a base model supercharger, they don't have huge power or boost potential and are fairly weak units. However I still think they are a decent option for relativly stock engines, and will generally give around 180-200rwkw on a stock 5L. As for the other mods needed, the CAPA kits do come with a larger 73mm MAF. Nothing else is really needed although a better intake won't hurt.

If you can afford it, look at the Vortech kits. They have far more potential and are a lot stronger units. They can be run on stock or highly modified engines, and will go to 16+psi of boost (compared with a max of 6-9psi for the powerdyne), but are generally set on around 10-12psi for stock engines giving 220-240rwkw. They are slightly more difficult to install needing an oil return line to the sump but otherwise everything else is pretty much the same. But if the vortech is out of your price range then the powerdyne is still an decent option. I am sure Martin will jump on here shortly and give you his opinions on the powerdyne unit and what to expect from them on a stockish engine.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i heard that you dont really need to change the intake and maf you canjust bolt on the powerdyne but a fair few mods are needed for the the vortech

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

XRate wrote:
i heard that you dont really need to change the intake and maf you canjust bolt on the powerdyne but a fair few mods are needed for the the vortech

Major mods requird are tapping of oil lines as the gear mesh in the vortech unit requires oil to be sprayed over it. No such requirement with a powerdyne. You'd also be looking at more radical changes to the fuel system with the vortech, as their main benefit is the ability to run lots of boost... as evidenced by EDXR8's vehicle.

Gunit, the powerdyne kits from CAPA are good... i put one on my car. Whilst any sort of supercharger on the 5.0L is going to be good fun (very good fun!) - if you can spare the extra $2k and dont mind doing a bit of extra work - the vortech is on a completely different level to the powerdyne and i'd recommend it.

Both kits come with a new MAF included in the price. It's not a big job, the kits are designed with these MAFs in mind and the CAPA chip (if they still provide these??) is tuned with this MAF in mind. You'd be crazy to try and leave the stock one.

See my gallery for pics of the setup.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

good news. thanks for that!

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

good news. thanks for that!

Sort by