Fordmods Logo

Pro Cool alloy radiators 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I'd be requesting pics of the actual EF/EL one you want to replace.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Post subject: pro cool
Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

iv got one in my67 xr with a 351 had it for about 6 months and works very well doesnt get hot at all and is fairly well made :D

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

If its only to hold more coolant, maybe just go for a larger header tank.

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Not sure if anyone cares, you sound like you know what you're doing far more than I - but there is no transmission oil cooling heat transfer bits on those radiators.

Like I say - you guys seem to know what you're doing, and no doubt this has been taken into consideration.

WHY AM I EVEN PUSHING THE "SUBMIT" BUTTON ON THIS?!

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:20 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

I got a large 3 core 40-50mm thick one from Aussie dessert cooler. It wasnt cheap but they made it for the EL and the factory fans retro fitted easily. Works a treat but having said that I find that air flow is a major issue with EL's and they tend to hold a lot of heat under the bonnet when not actually driving along. The std bonnet vents seem to be too small and a little too low on the bonnet.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

careful with aluminium core radiators, the lifespan can be limited. Had mine go in the AU (01 model so it lasted 7 years) which has always had correct inhibitors, and the radiator guy said its quite common to see aluminium radiators wear out relatively quickly compared to brass core. its just not a good metal to be dealing with water. something to keep in mind.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I've noticed that that is an issue as well. I'm in the process of trying to produce a form of cold air induction but am now thinking that some type of vent will be needed at the rear of the bonnet to improve flow. I currently have no vents, it is a plain XH bonnet.

Not an XH/EL, but in my ED on a trip up to canberra with an underperforming rad, I removed the rubber seal from the rear of the bonnet.
Helped with airflow.
You can also space the rear of the bonnet up on the hinges to increase it even more, the drift guys are pretty keen on that.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

If you get a thicker core than stock, make sure you have the airflow to cool it.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
I've noticed that that is an issue as well. I'm in the process of trying to produce a form of cold air induction but am now thinking that some type of vent will be needed at the rear of the bonnet to improve flow. I currently have no vents, it is a plain XH bonnet.

Dude - I am STILL looking into this myself. I have found that the area where I'd like to chop bonnet (higher, towards windscreen) will actually have air PUSHED INTO IT at anything around 80km/h or above. This may not be such a big issue, but will have to do a decent pressure check around the front of the block and in front of extractors to see if there is still enough air pressure differential for the radiators to work.

I think it will be fine - Especially is a put the belly pan back in so that the engine bay is vented along entire width for about two foot in front of fire wall on bottom of engine bay.

When idling around town the heat should escape out holes further up the bonnet fine... Although, to increase airflow through the radiators and actually allow the waste hot air out you need basically a big slit through the bonnet about a foot to 16 inches behind the radiator --- like a late model Mitsi Evo .

Started mucking around taking pressure readings at different speeds the other weekend. My testing system needs some work, but first results seem to confirm that pressure from the windscreen does actually create enough of a "bow wave" to push air INTO the engine bay if you "vent" the engine bay within a foot of the windscreen....

Will attempt to find a slightly less error prone system for checking it and do a grid over bonnet and try all sorts of positions and the corresponding positions under the bonnet.

If anyone has done this with an EF Fairmont I6, you could save me a couple of days effort by replying here.

Cheerio.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next