problem removing left head 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: problem removing left head
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

some genius engineer decided it was clever to place a bolt that hold the power steering/aircon bracket in behind the power steering pully, how the bloody hell do I get the bolt out, there's not enough room for a ring spanner and the open ender decides it want's to slip off, I can't budge the pulley bolt on the power steering pump, so I'm sitting here with one head left to remove and no bloody way to get the bracket off, and a missus that starting to piss me off with little niggly comments

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

What about a combination ring and flat spanner? They dont have the kink in them, so there may be enough room? Or is the bolt head too close to the shaft?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
What about a combination ring and flat spenner? They dont have the kink in them, so there may be enough room? Or is the bolt head too close to the shaft?

I've tried everthing in my box, ring/open, open/open & ring/ring, can only get an open ender on there cos the pulley is to close to the bolt head, it's got me stuffed and I've gone to far to turn back :cry:

may have to take the grinder to a ring spanner

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Oh, if there isnt enough clearance that way, get a nice cheap ring spanner, and attack it with a grinder. Grind down the spanner so that its narrow enough to get over the bolt by a bit, and then try that. Dont grind too fast, and keep it cold so that you dont weaken the spanner.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: Re: problem removing left head
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
some genius engineer decided it was clever to place a bolt that hold the power steering/aircon bracket in behind the power steering pully, how the bloody hell do I get the bolt out, there's not enough room for a ring spanner and the open ender decides it want's to slip off, I can't budge the pulley bolt on the power steering pump, so I'm sitting here with one head left to remove and no bloody way to get the bracket off, and a missus that starting to piss me off with little niggly comments
Check to see if there is a hole in the pulley so a socket can access the bolt?
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
Cheers
TW.

Now theres a smart idea.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
twason wrote:
Cheers
TW.

Now theres a smart idea.

you'd think they would be that smart wouldn't you, but no the pulley only covers half the bolt :roll: , I just snapped the first ring I ground down, was just enough to slide in, extenision bar over the end, apply force and snap, and because it's saturday after 4 the shops are shut and guess what tommorrow is, and then the next day, looks like tuesday before I get a go at it, grrr :x

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well its worth a try! You wouldnt have a welder with which to weld some flat bar around the ground down spanner? Must be prety tight? Dont have access to an 8 right now, but where does the bolt go? Does it tap into the sump, or does it have a nut on the back?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Trust me you cannot do it with the PS pump/pulley there, even if you get it loose (and its normally in really tightly in not partially siezed), you wont have enough room to rotate it.

2 solutions, first is to remove the PS pulley but that requires a special tool which is about $200. The other option is to drill a hole through the pulley giving you access to the 3 PS mounting bolts, then undo them and remove the pump itself. I would recommend that you drill 2 holes opposite each other just to try and keep the pulley relatively balanced.

Andrew J wrote:
Dont have access to an 8 right now, but where does the bolt go? Does it tap into the sump, or does it have a nut on the back?

The bolt goes through the mounting bracket and into the head.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Trust me you cannot do it with the PS pump/pulley there, even if you get it loose (and its normally in really tightly in not partially siezed), you wont have enough room to rotate it.

2 solutions, first is to remove the PS pulley but that requires a special tool which is about $200. The other option is to drill a hole through the pulley giving you access to the 3 PS mounting bolts, then undo them and remove the pump itself. I would recommend that you drill 2 holes opposite each other just to try and keep the pulley relatively balanced.

Andrew J wrote:
Dont have access to an 8 right now, but where does the bolt go? Does it tap into the sump, or does it have a nut on the back?

The bolt goes through the mounting bracket and into the head.

well I got it, used one of my good ring/ring spanner from my deisely days and ground it to a tap in fit :cry: , once the bolt was cracked, got the ring out and just used an open and worked it out, the bracket and the lot came as the bolt did, just hope I can do the reverse now.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
well I got it, used one of my good ring/ring spanner from my deisely days and ground it to a tap in fit :cry: , once the bolt was cracked, got the ring out and just used an open and worked it out, the bracket and the lot came as the bolt did, just hope I can do the reverse now.

Excellent work, I tired for days on mine and it wouldn't budge. Even when I removed the pump and used a socket it was still damn tough. I would imagine it would go back in fairly easily, just put some WD40 on the bolt.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Just looked at my car-ef not sure what u have but if it was me I would take the head off the bolt with a cold chissel then usu a pipe wrench to get the bolt after every thing is clear.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

revhead wrote:
Just looked at my car-ef not sure what u have but if it was me I would take the head off the bolt with a cold chissel then usu a pipe wrench to get the bolt after every thing is clear.

that's a bit extreme, something I would hav edone back in my deisel days, but I think aircraft tech training may have refined me a little and taught me patients and how to think things through, although the drill option was looking handy.

now it's a leasurely new years eve and trundle along putting it all back together, thanks for the support guys, I nearly done my block.

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nearly did your pump too by the sounds :D Sounds good that you got it though.

Put some kopr cote or something similar on it. Some nice antisieze stuff

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey u got it out thats all that counts now sit back and get plastered worry bout the rest tomorow and have ur self a good new year cheers.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next