problem with snapped water pump bolts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: problem with snapped water pump bolts
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef XR8 / xe fairmont ghia 393.

SA, Australia

hey all i have a little problem... whilst a mate of mine was replacing my water pump he sum how managed to snap a stud deep inside of its little hole. any way we tried easy outs and no luck... so i was wondering if those stud holes actually go all the way through to the block or if they only go to the timing cover thingi.... i dnt know much bout my donk... but im hoping u guys can help with my trouble shooting...
cheers guys.
jagga

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Jagga,

You might want to sit down for this... or stand up... as i've been here/done this.

Are they the bolts at either the far left or the far right of the pump?

Please advise which bolts are causing the problem - post a pic if need be.

There are quite a few bolts for the water pump which travel through the timing cover (not threaded) and then thread into the block. You'll find that they will unthread easily from the block - the problem is where they pass through the timing cover.

Alloy timing cover + cast block + steel bolts + coolant/water = one of the strongest substances known to man.

Ezyout probably wont get them....

Have you actually got the water pump off? If so, you may be able to get a stud removal socket onto the stub of the bolt...

In the meantime, do not damage the timing cover, they cost approx $800 to replace.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xd fairmont

NSW, Australia

i gather by the alloy cover your not talking cleveland ,
i rebuilt a motor once and after all the time and money found a snapped water pump bolt , on closer inspection it had a drill snapped of in there also ( not on center)
after 45 minuters and about 40 drill sharpens i drilled out the drill bit
( yes i did) , to get on center i burred it out and used a thread repair scooma to give me back the 5/16 unc thread , what a mission , but after about 3 hours id done it , the bloke that owned the block looked on in amazement the whole time, i just wish he could sharpen drill bits

Post subject: water pump bolts...
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef XR8 / xe fairmont ghia 393.

SA, Australia

cheers guys for ur help... mission success..
we ended up pulling the timing cover and everything off and put a new seal kit through it all... just for the hell of it.hey 4.9 ill post a pic of the top part of the stud... dam its corroded... hey ill catch u at the lofty cruise... c u all soon...

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]