Fordmods Logo

Procomp heads and stroker kits 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Procomp heads and stroker kits
Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi I've been noticing some procomp stuff on ebay, Ally heads (Windsor and Cleveland) look similar to edelbrock heads. Also some stroker kits.
It all looks ok from what I can see and the prices are pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has bought and used any of it?????
If so does it get the thumbs up or down?????? :?: :?:

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xlsv8ute

SA, Australia

Yeah ive been looking at the same stuff, procomp say the heads are a copy of edlebrock performer heads, i think. also say they are pressure injected castings. they seem too good for price. :lol:
The stroker kits vary a bit in price but still cheep as well, id reckon u need to machine and balance the whole kit.
Im keen on stroking the marlin, so also interested in peoples experience or comments on these products. :D

go the CROWS

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb 's' and '67 xr fairmont

VIC, Australia

have spoken to an engine builder about the stuff, especially the ingnition kit, his response was" you get what you pay for" so alough i havent used the stuff im not sure if i would be all to keen to try

but on the other hand street machine magazine just built up a 355 stroker using all procomp stuff and made reasonable power too, but for how long is my question

05 BA futura wagon, dumped, 19s, limo tint ( now the wifes car!

BA XLS ute 3V V8 manual, paceys, CAI and underdrives, good work car!

67 XR fairmont factory V8currently in pieces undergoing full resto one day will make a sweet cruiser!

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Pro Comp are Pro Crap.

I wouldnt buy any of the billet dissy's, ignition or even their heads. They are all copies of other products. They do Parker funnel web knock offs as well.

The carbies do work however but for a few bucks more a Holley, Barry Grant or even a decent Carter will do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-PROCOMP-CDI- ... dZViewItem

Ignition knock off of a msd/6AL , they wouldnt put the name in brackets if they werent knock offs.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-FORD-351C-PA ... dZViewItem

Look at the third main pic from the top and see how dodgy the casting is.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... p+manifold

This thread was done on fordforums to illustrate that no matter what you did to pro comp heads and manifold, that it would be a waste of time, money and youd be better off working the stock heads.
Same for the roller rockers, rings as it is all cheap nasty copies.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah i have read somewhere that these are not good at all. The castings need alot of work and the as for the bolt up and run i dont think this is the case. Needs alot of work to match the manifold to the heads.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if it's got pro comp in the name, leave it alone and let some els buy it.

i refuse to work on a car if it's fitted with any pro comp ignition parts. worn out points and f**k out cheap bosch coil work better.

as for any engine parts, better off save a bit more cash and buying better gear.

Post subject: Re: Procomp heads and stroker kits
Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fitter wrote:
Hi I've been noticing some procomp stuff on ebay, Ally heads (Windsor and Cleveland) look similar to edelbrock heads. Also some stroker kits.
It all looks ok from what I can see and the prices are pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has bought and used any of it?????
If so does it get the thumbs up or down?????? :?: :?:

Do some research, you can purchase brand name heads via US and import them for about the same price or better (since our dollar is currently worth about $0.95US), it might not look like that at first but keep searching like I did.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

agree 100% with macca i was just in touch with a bloke in the states bout set of AFR's and would be bout 1700 to my door..... in far away WA, so u could prob get bit better price on postage.

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:04 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

macca,
I reckon you should ban all posts where procomp rubbish is mentioned.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info.
I guessed that they were probably a bit average for that price thanks for confirming my suspicions!!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:
agree 100% with macca i was just in touch with a bloke in the states bout set of AFR's and would be bout 1700 to my door..... in far away WA, so u could prob get bit better price on postage.

bit off topic :)

if you dont mind me asking, who was that price through?
im looking to import a set of afr's in the next few months

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

3x-puursui7 wrote:

That is a very very good price mate. Who are you going through to get them for that money i would take a pair also. I was quoted $2500 from a shop here im Melb. These were AFR 165's pedisal mount rockers.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

ALS008 wrote:
3x-puursui7 wrote:

That is a very very good price mate. Who are you going through to get them for that money i would take a pair also. I was quoted $2500 from a shop here im Melb. These were AFR 165's pedisal mount rockers.

almost every place that sells them in the states are arround $1400 plus freight. i was more interested in who you were geting them through for the freight cost not the cost of the parts.

i was thinking about going through JEGS.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Finding the right freight price in the killer, some companies are set in their ways and will only use some freight companies, usually the ones that are cheap and reliable in the US but very expensive for international wise.

Anyone that finds some cheap and "reliable" freight methods please post it up, especially in this section.

Cheapest I could find was freighting it to a California port and via shipping container which could take up to 3 months depending on the time it arrived port as they had something like 6 weeks between sending containers.

Another thing to watch out for is import tax, I think you have to pay tax for anything over $1000AUD and I have no idea if that includes freight cost, see if the company could split the heads into two different parcels.

Quote:
Pro Topline (Now RHS) / L"secret"s CNC "180" 64cc Ford Small Block Cylinder Heads

Full CNC Program - Ports and Chambers
Fully Assembled
210 Runner w/ 64cc Chamber
High Flow / High Velocity Port Design for Substantial Horsepower and Torque Gains 303cfm Intake @ .550 Lift 227cfm Exhaust @ .550 Lift Manley Stainless 2.020 Intake Valve Manley Stainless 1.600 Exhaust Valve 10 Degree Comp Locks and Retainers

Arp Studs/Comp Cams Guide Plates Available Separately

Sale Price $999.99 / Pr. + Freight

Secret due to I want them and can't afford them and they only have 5 left.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next