Fordmods Logo

Radiator temps in my EF xr8 i think is abit high 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Radiator temps in my EF xr8 i think is abit high
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey guys,

Ive noticed with my xr8 it reaches high temps which im abit concernd about, apprently its normal as its a high performance 347 stroker and that standard cooling system is fine but i just want other ppl opinions on there xr8 temps.

The temp reaches on the standard guage to end of the letter R and sits there even in hot weather & comparing with my daily EL falcon 6 which reaches end of A.

As you can see there is a large difference in temp and im thinking of upgrading to a PWR alloy radiator and possibly bigger & better flowing cfm thermo fans but the standard EF xr8 radiator are alloy with plastic tanks so would there be a benefit of upgrading to a PWR.

Any ppls thoughts and pplz expereince with all this & PWR products

Thanks in advance to all :D

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

I wouldn't stress mate. Being a stroker motor etc is generally gunna run a bit warmer. As a guide my EB and XH have exactly the same cooling systems and were both flushed etc at the same time. EB runs at about the O, the XH runs between the R and the M. As long as it's in that normal range its....well...normal :lol:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Post subject: radiator
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh its just a werid thing that the temps are like that and im just paraniod too as i dont wona cook my motor & im the type of person who spends money just 2 be on the safe side of things & it will looks awsome to with a PWR hanging there.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

It's summer, it's normal. There is an R in normal..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hahaha yeh thanx dude, i was just curious about it and seeing if it was worth spending $800.00 for a pwr radiator

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Any other thoughts ppls

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My 4 core altrad rad died after only 2 years of use and I was overseas most of that time. I was looking into the PWR but it's not going to be much better. They cool better and look cool but not really worth the money unless you're loaded and like wasting money..

Plus, for a 5.0L, it's more than $800..

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh thats what i was thinking as the xr8 radiator is alloy but with plastic tanks. Apparently the core of the PWR is great and cools better than most factory units out there, but then again the falcon radiators have been proven to be a good & reliable unit. PWR say it cools up to 25% better than most other units out there and even if i drop the temp my 10deg and have big twin thermo that flow double cfm then it will be great just for peace of mind

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just got of the phone with PWR and they mentioned that the Ef-EL radiator is 55mm think and the factory is 25mm and its up to 30% better cooling and flowing, so a little more research and im gona take it from there and let you guys know :D

Post subject: mood
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey all,

I spoke to Darren the owner of Mood Motorsports who does customer fabrication work and he offered me either the 55mm twin core or 80mm tripple core. Im tossing up between the both and thinking hey i might as well go the biggest and get the temps down & if its too low i can always play with the thermostate and get optimum temp operation. The only thing that sucks is there is a 4 week waiting period for the radiator.

www.moodmotorsports.com

Post subject: thermo
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey ppl,

im about to order a radiator & thinking of going aftermarket thero fans but there is one problem. The standard twin thermofans currently have two settings low speed which is running all the time & high speed when the temps get over the letter R, now the thing is can i use aftermarket thermos and connect them via the same blugs which the standard one's use & still retain the twin setting thermo speeds?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What is wrong with the stock ones?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I wouldnt bother with changing the thermos, they should be fine! Ive gone with a three core radiator for my EB6, and now struggle to get it up to operating temp! Certianly does a better job of cooling, but a three core isnt generally 80mm thick?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: thermos
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The PWR is a 55mm core & with tanks its 70mm, i was thinking that the standard units will be fine but i was thinking while im there i might as well upgrade the thermos too. I'll talk to a fue sparkies & try and find someone that knows about the ford thermos and go from there.

But i still think the standard thermos on the PWR radiator will work fine :?

Hey Andrew J, the PWR 3 core is 75mm core and 100mm with tanks. What car is the 3 core out of?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]