Fordmods Logo

RELEARNING THE ECU 5.0L EB 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: RELEARNING THE ECU 5.0L EB
Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 5.0l

NSW, Australia

Hi everybody I'm new to fordmods and hope somebody can help me.
I need to reset the ECU in my EB V8 and was wondering what the CORRECT procedure was. Some people say disconnect the battery for half an hour then it should be fine, others say after doing this, that there is a procedure to follow with starting the car for 2 minutes , turning the car off for 2 minutes etc etc...I have set my idle after disconnecting the ISC and then set my TPS to 0.95v.
Also when I give my car a rev in nuetral the revs drop back to about 1200 then after a few seconds they come down slowly to the idle. Is this normal??
Also, How do I put my car in diagnostic mode to do my timing, and what do I line the timing mark against? Photos would be handy.
These must be age old questions that have been asked time and time again, so even if you can direct me to anther thread that answers my question this would be great.
THANKS IN ADVANCE...

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Clean the throttle body, clean the ISC valve. While doing this, have the battery disconnected.
When this is done, ( if it is an auto ), handbrake on, wheels chocked, no accesseries on, doors shut, start in neutral, and once started, immediately put into drive and let idle for 5 mins, then neutral, 5 mins, then turn on A/C and let idle for 5 mins, then in drive with A/C on for 5 mins.
If it is a manual, start engine with clutch depressed, in neutral, and do as same above, except for putting into gear.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
Clean the throttle body, clean the ISC valve. While doing this, have the battery disconnected.
When this is done, ( if it is an auto ), handbrake on, wheels chocked, no accesseries on, doors shut, start in neutral, and once started, immediately put into drive and let idle for 5 mins, then neutral, 5 mins, then turn on A/C and let idle for 5 mins, then in drive with A/C on for 5 mins.
If it is a manual, start engine with clutch depressed, in neutral, and do as same above, except for putting into gear.

is that a f**k joke

u cant be serious thats a way to do it :shock: :?

:idea:
i think i just blew a fuse oops

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thats pretty much correct..
except im sure its only 3 mins not 5 mins.?????

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Just have the Battery off for 4 hours or more, my EB has a dead battery so every time I start her I pull the battery from the NC & the EB needs a good drive just to get it re -Learned.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I havent ever needed to relearn the ecu when i reset it and my 5.0 runs fine. must be lucky

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its not really neccessary to re learn the ecu as will learn while you drive anyway..

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

vrblou02 wrote:
cjh wrote:

is that a f**k joke

u cant be serious thats a way to do it :shock: :?

:idea:
i think i just blew a fuse oops

This was how it was done at the Ford dealership that i worked at back then.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

As i mentioned on the other forum.Disconnect the battery for more than 30seconds or leave it disconnected over night.Start the engine let it warm up for atleast 5 mins.
Then with foot on brake put it into Reverse let id idle in reverse for 1 minute with foot on brake.Then put it in Neutral let it idle for 1 minute with for on brake.Then put it in Drive let it idle for 1 minute in Drive with foot on brake.
Then put it back into park let it idle then go for a 10km drive or more if you wish (just make sure in this procedure you do not turn the engine off)when you go for your 10km drive you can drive it any way you like.When you get back from the drive disconnect the ISC motor then readjust the idle.Then reconnect the ISC motor (the motor adds roughly 200rpm so when disconnected adjust idle to 500rpm or just under).
As for a manual one let it warm up for atleast 5 mins,then engage the clutch a couple of times then go for a drive and do as above.This is how we reset the computers on most cars but this procedure is a ford one.But we have a proper ford tool that will help with clearing the codes too.
As for the rev back to idle that is normal thats just the stepper motor working.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

Yep thats the way to do it. Ive worked for Ford since then, and still do

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah i have done a small stint at a ford dealership in my time.But i didnt learn it there i learnt it where i am working now for the past 4yrs.My boss is an ex ford mechanic.Very good ford mechanic.He has been in the trade for 24yrs.

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

kruptd, thats a clean looking EB/D. I owned a EB2 GLi and loved it. Sold it just to upgrade to AU2 XR8. I mate of mine bought it and its still going great. I don't think he will ever sell it :roll:

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate i really love the boxcar shape,i got some big plans for her in the very near future lol.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]