replacing stock 5L manifold with xr8 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: replacing stock 5L manifold with xr8
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

So is the inner piece used to ballance the harmonic ballancer? How bad can it be out of being on true spin before it causes problems? The NRMA guy ( thanks for the battery charge boys) said there is a rubber seal between them and its the rubber that goes, but what is the inner pieces purpose? :?

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The rubber is the bonding agent to the outer ring. The outer ring is the counter weight and when it lets go and moves you sure know about.
A real violent vibration will go through the entire car. I mean REAL bad.
DOnt worry about the water pump seal it will be fine. You other experiences have just been bad luck pure and simple.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys, the nrma bloke rekons it was not too bad but I want to get a dyno on her when the move is done as I dont trust mechanics in Griffith so I want to replace the harmonic and hopefully the headers then ( about 3 months) and now I dont have to put aside more dosh for the pump that will make things easier. Want it dynoed because being dual fuel I have found going the dyno is the only way to go for the best tune for both fuels. Going to see Brad and Harry at Blue Mountains Fuel Injection in Katoomba. Anyone been there before? Brads nuts! I remember working at a local Petrol station and him and his mate Richard fanging down to put fuel in what ever FORD beast they were toying with. He knows his fords, and thats not a plug guys.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

79raven wrote:
How did you get the harmonic on correctly 351el with the limited space between radiator and harmonic? Yeh there is still some room on the nc 5ltr but last ballancer I replaced ( on a holden)took some serious bashing to really get it to sit properly.

I will see if I can get you some pics tomorrow. (I think the ballancer and thermos are still on the EL)
Most people use a longer bolt and just pull it on.
I will explain it tomorrow when I get you some pics but don't shoot me if I am a little slow getting them up(work sucks) :)

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So are you moving up the mountains? Im from Penrith and have family up the hill so we will most likely see each other floating around.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
So are you moving up the mountains? Im from Penrith and have family up the hill so we will most likely see each other floating around.

Thats funny man I went to Jamo high and also Werrington County Primary for a while, Yeh moving back to the mountains. Hopefully Blackheath or around there. Penrith is too expensive for rents at the moment. You might be the man to see when I get up there for local meets for as I love the missus and the kids, a bit of ball sctratching around the cars is always good for the chest hairs :D

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bleakheath hey.
Hope you remember to put your second head on for when you go into town shopping.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey i currently live in griffith........... two heads are manditory here. Whats the go guys with au on wheels not fitting pre au? is it the pcd? I read on facebook they will fit with spacers so prob not....Would love to put Ba xr8 wheels on her, I think they are 17's so not too big and expensive like 20's. will au and on abs calipers and disc's go on the nc without too much hastle? thinking apart from the donk, exhaust and stereo upgrades it would be fun to stick with genuine ford upgrades from earlier model falcon/fairlanes, kind of refresh and modernise the car while staying genuine at the same time. Would also be cheaper too as I can keep an eye on ebay for parts and grab them when they are cheap. Already removed the original sound system changer and deck and put an ebay bought sony mp3 player in, pioneer front speakers, a cheap supercheap auto speakers for the rear ( as the tank sits right underneath and there was no room to drill new holes for aftermarket covers and these cheapys were 3 holes covers), but thats what i wanted as the factory rear amp only runs low pass filter on the amps 1 and 2 channel so the not so great bass handling speakers are in there prime. Am thinking about manufacturing a piece of ply carpeted to cover the lpg tank from the rest of the boot and running 2x50w rms 6"subs and porting the original sub hole in the parcel. Would love to go leather interior but with the kids would be a waste so the original is in nice cindition and the seats are super comfortable so prob leave that. Go super plush carpet inside as there is one or 2 smoke burns under the drivers seat, put an Ef tbar ( thanksford mods techdocs) and run blue t10's for the instrament cluster and dash lights. Go super white front light high and low, leave the height the way it is as every car I have had low have worked out to be a pain in the a** as an everyday driver and just upgrade the brakes, maybe leave the box, extractors, try these underdrives, hopefully replace the bw diff with 9"go cat back high flowmandrel bent, tint the windows darkest legal tint, xr8 wheels and be happy.......for a little while. Do any xr8 body kits go on these? I do not think so as its REALLY long but it would definately look different. Would love to go the xr8 bonnet bulge, um thats it. Has anyone out there done something of the sort with the Na to Nd's?

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The problem with AU onwards wheels on an E series is the offset.
They will physically fit on the back with narrow tyres but will be tucked right in and they wont fit on the front as they will hit the suspension.
The adaptors or spacers are to space the wheels further out. They are illegal and in my personal opinion dodgy but others have had no issues with them.
AU onwards brakes wont fit unfortunately , otherwise everyone would be doing the upgrades. We are just stuck with the crappy E series brakes.
Forget the 9" diff. They suck power like no end , cost a bomb to set up for an e series and to be brutally honest the 5.0 V8 unless a LOT of money has been spent on them dont make enough power to warrant one.
I have a standard BTR diff with a 3.45 centre and a lockright. Well worth the money and hassle and I do give it heaps and havent had an issue yet.
Numerous members here are punching 200+ RWKW through a BTR diff with no issues.
As far as XR8 kits goes well anything can be donw with enough work.
When you move up catch up and come to Liverpool on a Friday night. There are many knowledgable people around who will point you in the right direction or totally lead you astray!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thks man, might be worth a look at maybe DBA's for the front. The Nc is very weighty and I want her to stop on a dime when needed. Did not know about the 9"sucking power, thought for fords they were the way to go. The diff at the moment has a slight whine and clunks from time to time so it might be case of rebuild it. The box was done by the previous owner 6 months ago with reciepts so its definately the diff. The uni's are nice and have no give but when I bought it the diff was a little low on fluid and as allot of guys never check em it might have caused to whine and clunking. Dont believ in spacers either so mabe not. Would love 15"12 slotter but I dont think they made 15's, or did they? Might even go the xr6's from ef I think but they are everywhere. Did they make Indy Dragways in 16 or 17"s? I know the suspension was done a year ago( he got rid of the old setup for heavy duty shockers and springs) but being a luxury car it still has alot of body roll aswell. The bushes are alright but do the ea to ed xr8's have a better sway bar for the front that would stop some body roll? Really dont want to go lower because you always have to worry about bottoming out all the time on everything.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nope no Dragway Indys in 16 or 17 inch.
I went looking for a set when I had my ute late year.
Keep an eye on Ebay for swaybars etc.
You can get good increases in handling with only dropping the car a bit. You dont need to go stupid lower. An inch or two will make a big difference especially in the lane and it is still very driveable and doesnt bottom out eveywhere.
I have slotted front rotors and decent pads in my NF and the missus's EL XR8 and they pull up pretty well when required.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Got to pull the tyres off and inspect the discs, calipers and pads because she pulls up alright but she does not have that put you head through the windscreen feel. Thought it was because she's quite heavy but will have to inspect them this weekend. Also want to do something about the relays in the engine bay. The fuses had a bit of rust on them when i bought her and the low beams wouldnt work because of it. Want to get a block that has a cover that i can put all relays through as I rekon as it is its just going to decrease the life of the relays and at $20+ a pop I can think of other places to spend that.... Is there other fords that have a boxed relay setup that I can retro fit?

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

You right mate????Need two heads in Griffith.I didnt grow up here i moved here over 7yrs ago.And i dont mind the place,some people are weird and some fine.Obviously your one of the weird ones.

And for you to say there arent any good mechanics in town.You obviously didnt look hard enough.

All i gotta say is that you are a wannabe weekend warrior.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

This will be fun!

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

This bloke can talk crap about people but got nothing to say.F**cken tool.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next