Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Researching put a V8 in my EA
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XC Falcon 500 Sedan: White, 4.1,

QLD, Australia

:?:
G'day to all. I am commencing researching the pros and cons of fitting a V8 (most likely a 302 windsor from EB to EL) into my EA II wagon. The idea is to keep the beast looking standard (except for wheels) both inside and out but giving it a bit more grunt. Does anyone have knowledge of such a conversion? For instance:
Can I use the same gear box (four speed auto)?
What has to be changed electronically?
Are there any major mods required to fit the engine in such as cutting and modifying the fire wall etc?
Are brake and suspension mods required?

Any advice would be appreciated.

MAW

MAW

Remember "It dosn't matter how fast it goes, if it's under 3 litres it's a chicks car".

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Its not easy to do and technically requires engineering approval too. IMO it would be easier and probably cheaper to find yourself a V8 EB or ED. If you still want to go ahead with the conversion, the easiest way would be to get a complete written off car as you will the engine, trans, wiring, k-frame, front suspension etc.

Also might be worth considering a small turbo setup to waken up the I6. A basic T3 turbo setup running low boost won't cost much and would easily give you more power than a stock V8.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:54 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Thanks EDXR8.

Points noted. I did assume that it would be cheaper to buy an EB or ED V8 but this old 89 EA II of mine was my father's last car before he passed on and as such has sentimental value. Besides being plan white with non trendy brown interier (colum change at that) I thought it would be novel to make some of the young blokes have to work thier flash cars harder than expected to beat the old girl. I don't need to drag them of as I have a bike to do that.

Anyway, I'm not a turbo fan but would consider a supercharger to do the job. Unfortunatley the old girl is just about to rack up 300,000 km so whilst still going ok would need a freshen up be for trying to extract more power. My EB II, which I have had for some years, has a 20,000 km old rebuilt GEM engine in it but I have never been happy with the way it has run. In fact the throttle body 3.9 in the EA feels more lively than the MPI 4.0 in the EB. Also the GEM in the EB has always felt harsh when anything but low revs are used (unlike the original engine which died at 320,000 km.

Thanks again and any more input would be appreciated.

MAW

Remember "It dosn't matter how fast it goes, if it's under 3 litres it's a chicks car".

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Hey MAW,

Sounds like you're the victim of a shoddy rebuild if your 4.0L is worse than a CFI engine! My 4.0L EB has done over 500k and it still rips off 15.7's with only extractors and XR6 exhaust!
Anyway to the subject at hand....it is probably easier for the novice to grab a donor V8 car.
Some things that are different are; the harness,K-member and mounts ,transmission ,fuel pump(although MPI 6 and SEFI V8 are the same),Trans controller. Brakes are the same, diff is similar although most V8's used the 3.27 ratio.
If you pick up the thread about the V8 XG you'll get a bit of an idea of what's required and yes, I suggest a 351 for you too. The only problem with E-series cars and a 351 is bonnet clearance...but it's not a huge problem.
Amazingly XR-Y type headers bolt straight in and a BTR 5.0L trans will also bolt straight up although you'll have to use a 28oz imbalance flexplate(Late 5.0L are 50oz imbalance).

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

XR9Ute

Thanks for the good info. The plot thickends. Maybe it would be easier to replace the Rover V8 in my Discovery with a Ford V8 than put one in my EA. Then again it may be easier to just do some light mods to the 3.9 and leave it at that. It wouldn't have that magical V8 sound though.

MAW

MAW

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:30 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I've got a better idea,

Stick a 351 in your Discovery and your EA!.
Both vehicles are heavy enough to require the extra torque of the 351....light mods to the six just won't cut it.
BTW Ive done a Thunderbird 3.8SC engine into a range rover....went very well!

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]