Fordmods Logo

rocker ard torque specs 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: rocker ard torque specs
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xlsv8ute

SA, Australia

After fitting new 2031 cam and springs to suit, i have a couple of noisey lifters. took rocker covers off and reset all rockers(zero lash then half to full turn). still have noisy valve train. Does anyone know the torque spec for the rockers on a 2002 5lrt. does anyone have any thoughts?
regards
chris

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

The std rockers are pedastal mount, they dont "adjust" lifter preload like the stud mount ones.

Do you have some aftermarket rockers? If not, you'll need some longer pushrods on those that are noisy to get the correct lifter preload (.020" to 060")

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Just do the f**k up tight!!!! :lol:
Sorry chris but I am a bit p****d!! :twisted:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

xr8ute, there the normal set up with non-adjustable yella-terra 1.72 r.r. I realise there is no adj, but just wondering if over tightening can cause lifters to collapse and start ticking its a*** off. Do you think i should try new lifters before changing pushrod lenght?
regards
chris

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

25-35nm

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

If you have non adjustables then bring each cyl to TDC and tighten them down till you get contact, if you find that you're bolting them down and the slack isn't taken up (Which i doubt with a new billet) then you have a problem somewhere.
How long did you run the engine for?
The lifters could have bled down so take it for a drive and get them pumped up.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

veeate, there all around 30nm mark
walker, i took it for a 20km spin and they did quiet down alot but there is still 1 or 2 that are a bit rattly, so this morning got some wynns engine flush stuff ( never really one for additives)and chucked it in and ran motor for 30mins, dopped oil and changed filter. I use sae20w-50 gt titan oil(fuchs product). did seem to quiet it done initailly but after a good run they started to rattle a bit again. Next step i think is to check oil pressure with gauge and if thats ok then i will have to try new friggen lifters(another 300bucks)? Help :!: am i heading in the right direction? :?
chris

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

To be honest i think 20w-50 is too thick for it, they recommend 10w-30 for std models and 15w-40 for XR8 and LPG.
I put 20/50 in my EF once and it started ticking, just too thick for it... i went back to a 15/40 and had no probs after that.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Walker, yeah i see were your coming from, ive only changed to that oil since cam change because of a local dealer recomendation. I used to run mobil one oil in past with no probs ,only changed due to needed to use non synthetic oil for cam run in as stated by cranecams recommendations for run in. I should have chosen a lighter weight oil by sounds-bugger :evil: Goin to shoot into town to see if any place is open and get 15w-40 oil and give it a go. this will be the cleanest friggen engine around - two oil changes in 60kms :twisted:
chris

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hehe it certainly will, and it's definately worth a try, it's a cheap alternative to changing lifters that's for sure.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

It's likely you might need longer push rods. Both my brother and I needed them when fitting a 2031 and the same RRs as you. I have heard of a few people getting away with stock rods but not many. Lifters don't bugger up just because you change your cam. I'd be removing my manifold, pulling apart the lifters and giving them a good clean and then checking your rod length.

20W50 is fine depending on your engine - there isn't a one oil fits all. You might need something different but don't just discount this one because it isn't written in some wanky book. Manufacturers specs... pfftt. Everyone knows the best thing for your engine isn't necessarily at the top of Fords agenda (or any manufacturer for that matter). Experiment with quality oils over the next few months - in the long run oil is cheap so take try a few to ensure you've got the right oil for YOUR engine.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

cheers for info free347. I was hoping someone would have had same situation with this 2031 cam(seem to be popular cam), makes bloody good sense. Can you buy them in 10 thou increments or something? what was the extra measurement for your engine? are they pricey?
I bought some 5w-40 shell fully synthetic oil, not much choice on a saturday in bordertown. dunno know now if should try it or not! :?
Chris

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

To be honest I can remember it was too long ago. You can buy an adjustable rod to effectively measure the length rod you need (or have someone do this for you). A decent set of one piece (hardened too, though not essential) will set you back a few hundred dollars. I know this is 'approaching' the price of new lifters however you don't want to find yourself buying new lifters and STILL needing longer rods. Always best to have them checked.

What rockers are you using? How is your geometry... did you check it?

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

yeah i see ya point, rather check and get the right lenght rod first and claen up original lifters before new lifters.
running YELLA TERRA 1.72 roller rokers and no i didnt check geometry as read so much pos feed back about 2031, thought it would be ok. woops :lol:

go the CROWS

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

2031 is a great choice... geometrey is a seperate issue.

Not the most scientific but good enough for us street hacks... colour the top of the valve stem with a black Niko, refit your rocker, turn the engine over by hand a few time and check to see where the wear mark is. One sign of a short rod will be the wear mark biased toward the outer side of the valve tip.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next