Fordmods Logo

S*** downlow power, possible causes? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: S*** downlow power, possible causes?
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

always had this problem, used to swear there was something wrong with it but didnt take notice. Until the other day mechanic suggested if i had a highstall?.....cause he said its s**t downlow and thought it was cause of the highstall (theres no highstall).

car has gt40p's, mild crow cam, explorer intake etc. But power below 2700-2800rpm is like the symptoms of having a big cam or something which isnt the case. The thing has good mid and toprange. Its funny, if i was to plant it downlow in the wet it grips untill it hits about 3000rpm (where power kicks you in the guts) and it automatically losses traction and revs to the limiter quickly. In the dry, you plant it from standing start it will ever so slightly loose traction and bog down.....doesnt feel like much then it kindovs kicks back once passed the bog down stage.

The thing has better low down power in reverse for god sake!!! Again driving around town i have to apply way more throttle to get the thing moving to say part throttle in the mid rpm range so im using a bit of fuel around town.

what usually effects downlow power? everything seems to be running right, it overfuels on idle on cold start but clears itself up once warm. Can O2 sensors do this?

Post subject: Re: S*** downlow power, possible causes?
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

even thoght its not a high stall, the torque converter could still be on its way.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

prydey wrote:
even thoght its not a high stall, the torque converter could still be on its way.

is there any method of confirming its the torque converter besides pulling trans apart?

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Have you only noticed since the cam etc has gone in? Or has the cam etc been in for a while and was previously good down low?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yep pretty much. I know what your getting at and ive been thinking it to. Its possible that the camshaft could not of been set straight and be retarded 1-2 degrees. I dont mind if it is beacuse il have better piston to valve clearance a better peak power, but the current state of downlow power is to bad to be that entirely (already discusses this with a few people). Only way i can tell is if i get it up on the dyno. Which i cant at this stage.

So, im going to try something. Car is tuned for 91 ron and is adavanced as far as it can before it pings (whihc is only like half a cm from the timing mark on the balancer). So im running some 98ron atm, and will try to see if i can advance further. may pick up some downlow power.....

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:57 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Have you done a self test?
Was the cam degreed when it was fitted? It could be ground off by much more than 1 or 2 degrees which would never be noticed unless it was properly degreed in.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Why do you regularly run it on 91?
For ten cents a litre extra i like a little insurance when i lean on my motor :wink:

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed

NSW, Australia

do you have a oiled air filter? it mite be worth cleaning the air flow meter, they gunk up with a bit of crap from time to time, wont log any code and just feel a bit gutless, a quick clean may help.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Advanced the timing a bit, picked up a bit of power. hardly noticeable, probably will show a result on a dyno run though. Still fairly average downlow.

no oil air filter, recently cleaned out MAF. But did get codes pulled out, and it came back with faulty MAF sensor?? err.....if i remove the maf sensor while running, the car stalls. Plug it back in and it runs fines. Any suggestions?

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed

NSW, Australia

if you have a mate with another 5L it may be worth trying there maf sensor as there pretty common to fail, im a mechanic at a ford dealer and they go all the time, i wouldnt get a new genuine ford as the price may give you heart failure, if it ends up being that i think capa makes a larger maf for less than $400

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]