Fordmods Logo

Search for MAF 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Search for MAF
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

On the subject of aftermarket MAF units , i am chasing an option (largest possible) that I could use on my 5.0 lt with various mods and 19 lbs injectors that I could later use with (hopefully some day soon) 51 bottom end, super charged and able to be recallibrated in Aus to take larger injectors.

Have you purchased a MAF with this in mind? recommend

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

The C&L MAF sensors are quite good as you can change the sampling tube in them to calibrate for different injectors. The purists will tell you that this is not an exact way to go about it, but the mustang guys have no problems running this method.

19# inj are standard on most ford EFI 5.0L engines. C&L mafs can be calibrated for 19#, 24#, 36# and 42# IIRC....

I use one of these in a blown application...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Yes but as EDXR8 pointed out, we need a MAF with a flange that fits to our airboxes.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Was leaning towards the c&l, but like to see what others are using. Curious though what size T/B & MAF are you running.

Although I like to keep original in appearance when it comes to getting Air in, Im not overly concered whether it fits the Airbox, Im desperate to remove the restriction and if Mods need to be made than so be it.

thanks guys

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The only realy option is the C&L MAF's, they are the only ones that can be easily recalibrated. But once you get a supercharger you may run into a couple of problesm, firstly recalibrated MAFs aren't the best idea because they throw out the load scales, you really need to edit the EEC to give it the correct MAF curve. With a blown motor you will more than likely look at either an edit (if your EEC is supported) or an aftermarket computer where a MAF isn't required. Secondly depending on what type of blower setup you will be running, a 73mm C&L is pretty much limited to a blow through or low boost draw through setup.

I run a 90mm Ford LMAF in a draw through setup, they provide excellent resolution down low for drivability and flow enough for 500rwhp (although the actual MAF body will flow 800hp+ without restriction). These MAFs will bolt up to the airbox or can run inline with an adaptor, but do require an edit to run.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Well the CL73 with the 24# sampling tube seems an appropriate MAF but because you pointed out that the flange isn't there to connect to our airboxes, I am looking around to see what else there is.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Fairmont Ghia 5.0

QLD, Australia

Are Mass Air (used to be PRO- M ) still around? I though Mr Landau could get these to fit our boxes?

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
Well the CL73 with the 24# sampling tube seems an appropriate MAF but because you pointed out that the flange isn't there to connect to our airboxes, I am looking around to see what else there is.

Just means you'll have to think outside the square vic... or outside of the airbox...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You can order mafs to fit our airbox from states..Just make sure you order the flanged style..
Buy though these guys anyway..
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=323
A flange can be made to fit airfilter and fit maf inline like Mustangs.. If you want...Here you can buy whole set up..Maf and injectors...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

I have the injectors, just need a flanged MAF.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:50 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
These MAFs will bolt up to the airbox or can run inline with an adaptor, but do require an edit to run.

What do you mean by an edit? could it be done with a chip or is it something a little more technical. EEC are new to me.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

An edit is really anything that directly alters the EEC programing, so a chip is an edit. The true way of calibrating a MAF is via the EEC programing itself, that way you can run any combination of MAF and injector size without any issues at all. Only aftermarket MAF brands such as Pro-M, PMAS and C&L calibrate MAFs for specific injector size, and while this is a cheap and easy way of doing it, it is not technically the ideal solution.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:56 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
I run a 90mm Ford LMAF in a draw through setup, they provide excellent resolution down low for drivability and flow enough for 500rwhp (although the actual MAF body will flow 800hp+ without restriction). These MAFs will bolt up to the airbox or can run inline with an adaptor, but do require an edit to run.

This setup sounds alright. Did you have any dramas wiring it up to existing harness? Do you run the original computer?

Apparently I wont need to callibrate the unit when changing injector sizes. If thats correct its has to be more appealing. The one thing Im not real clear on is whether the engine will run at all without having the edit done. Reason is, can I do the install and drive to the programmers or do I get the programmers to install

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I changed the MAF plug on the wiring harness over to the late model style for the LMAF. And no you don't need to recalibrate the MAF when changine injectors (you can't recalibrate it anyway), but you do have to edit the EEC again to tell it what size injectors you have.

Looking at the MAF curves, chances are the engine will start ok with the LMAF but will quickly go lean an any acceleration, so I would not attempt it. It may be easier just to get the C&L and then when you go supercharged if it is a restriction then change it again. The additional cost of another MAF will not really be felt when you are talking about a $10k+ setup, and even then you may choose to for an aftermarket ecu so you won't need a MAF at all.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:19 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Certainly worth doing the homework on these units. The 51 is quite some time away yet and the idea of being able to try different injector sizes for instance without calibration sounds ok to me. thanks mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next