Sequential Scoop fitament 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Sequential Scoop fitament
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL II XR8

Power: 146 rwkw

SA, Australia

Yesterday I recieved my sequential scoop lid to suit my scoop. I followed instructions, and bought a necessary POD filter for the job,

Anyway I hooked it all up, and it seemed sluggish. standard MAF.the pod sucked really hard, but seemed as tho it was producing much power. and wouldnt boogey down low. till around the 70-80km/h mark.

I then thoguht maybe it needs more flow. so I :

My second attempt was to use my 73mm Maxflow MAF. As its been colleting dust, The story with my larger MAF went as follows, bought it, and it was so sucky and sluggish in with my stock setup i put it on the shelf asap. and it sat ther till now. However it too seemed to be sluggish. Is it me or the POD a pain the a**!!

The doozy of all 3 was when I used the 73mm maf again, this time with my orginal box, as a test to see if maybe it would work for me this time, except I forgot to replace the filter. Away I went and the car ran like a dream, no sign of the sluggish down low lack of torque I had before with just my maf. Alhto I was confused when I returned to see my filter laying on the ground, Now the filter is a jarvis ryco filter, nothing special. It does sound as tho all I need is a good filter and my MAF will work ok ? any ideas ?

Would a setup such as a k&n Ford panel filter in the bottom and a second k&n panel filter from a smaller vehicle fixed to roof of the airbox over the hole work ?? Or would this probably create to much filtration ?

s there anything anybody can help me with? Other than slagging PODS.. this was an experiment not a permanent choice. Plz share your thoughts and wealths of knowledge with me ...

cheers tim.

EL II XR8 - project powerdyne.
www.modfordclub.proboards101.com
www.mumbo.com.au

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

why would you want the 2nd filter?

Banned

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
why would you want the 2nd filter?

I assume because you have 2 air feeds, one fromt he standard snorkle in the bottom of the box and one for the sequential scoup in the top. If you just run a panel filter the air coming through the top will not be filtered.

Pods are fine, nothing wrong with them generally, the only reason people bag them is because there is no reason to go to one on a stock to mild engine. However with your sequential scoop setup, I would definitly run a pod in the airbox, far easier than 2 panel style filters. Unless the pod you were running was very small, there is no real reason it should make the car slugish. However some pod filters create quite a bit of turbulence which makes the MAF readings inaccurate, the way to solve this is either trying to rotate the MAF and see if there is a better location, or to make sure there is as much straight distance from the MAF to the pod. If there is room inside the box, maybe some 3" (or whatever the size of the pod is) straight tubing between the MAF and pod, this should reduce turbulence. It can be difficult though as there isn't that much room, if the C&L MAF isn't a flanged unit maybe move that back slightly from the airbox in the rubber tubing.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL II XR8

Power: 146 rwkw

SA, Australia

the c&l maf is flanged, and it seems as tho its all workign well today. id like to get a g-tech or somethign cheap to just do some testing of my own as a dyno experiment would cost some dollars. For now i will run the pod. Theres little distance between the maf sensor and pod, theres the lenght of the POD, and about 2" of bent tube to fit the pod in, and then the adpator plate so all up maybe 3" total. I bought a funny styled POD tho, its a K&n but its shaped like a reverse pod, sprouts out likea flower not the traditional cone, it has a face that also acts as part of the filter so essentially no head on the filter, im still working on the connecting of the top of the box to the seq. scoop. so its fed into the hole as opposed to just in around the scoop.. i will post a few piccys when my missus gives me my camera back.. oh well see how it goes i guess..

EL II XR8 - project powerdyne.
www.modfordclub.proboards101.com
www.mumbo.com.au

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Sounds liek you have set it up the best possible way, if you are still having issues you may still want to try and rotate the MAF 90 or 180 deg, can't recall if that is actually possible withthe airbox and a flanged MAF though. BTW if you want to borrow a Gtech for some testing and are in the northern suburbs I have one sitting here which is free most of the time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]