Fordmods Logo

SETTING CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS ON 4V CLEVELAND??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: SETTING CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS ON 4V CLEVELAND???
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: any modeL fORD fALCON 6 or 8

New Zealand

Yeah gidday all... Can anyone teLL me correct procedure for adjustment of crane roller rockers on a cleveland? Not sure of cam (315rwhp) spec as have Lost contact with previous owner/builder, found most of the vaLve stem seaLs are spLit. Yip the harder it revs the harder it smokes but still running sweet:) I'm going to try refitting all new seaLs in place by bringing piston up on compression stroke with nylon chord down sparkplug hole to stop valves from dropping, has anyone tried this or is it a braindead idea which wouLd lead to disaster??? Any advise much appreciated, Cheers...

Have you driven a REAL Ford...lately?

Post subject: Re: SETTING CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS ON 4V CLEVELAND???
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Assuming they are stud mounted rockers, the cam is a hydraulic and the lifters are standard hydraulic (not anti pump-up, Rhodes tye etc).

With the lobe under adjustment on base circle, set lash to zero, then 3/4 of a turn on the pozilock as pre-load. Then tighten the locking grub screw.

If your valve seals are cracked and split then it's also time for a valve job. Take the heads off and do both at the same time.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:27 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I have to ask; Why are they split?...is there insufficient clearance from the springs/retainers?

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

With heat and age they get brittle and break. Most higher milage clevelands I've pulled apart have very few valve guide seals left intact. They are usually found in the oil pan in smaller pieces.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Hey thanks for the info xafalcon, you probably know of this cleveland which was built by mark hudson and run in the A-Z PROBLEM SOLVERS XE FALCON race car from Hamilton.. I brought it 2 years ago drove it to Auckland and ran for a week, decided to parked up and convert the manualized FMX with a 4500 stall dominator to a close ratio toploader setup which is still in progress but almost completed.. the clevo was supposedly recently fresh but used occasionally, XR9UTE thats a good question mate which i 'm still asking myself, I havent pulled springs off yet as just bought a power built sping compressor today and still trying to figure out the best way to attack this task, I'm going to replace seals with items supplied in a FEL PRO gasket set and hoping the reason the last lot failed was due to inferior product being used previously. I'm really not keen to pull the closed chamber 4V heads off yet, was planing compression test it when seals are replaced to get a better idea of whats going on...

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:30 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

They don't f**k up that quick unless they used the old umbrella type which don't work with double valve springs. To do it right you need to machine the top of the guide for positive spring type seals or teflon seals.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

XR9UTE you're onto it there mate, Yip double valve springs and umbrella type seals.. Darn guess its heads off?

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah, I know Mark. Check the engine over carefully.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

All 16 valve stems seals were split or broken and 2 bent pushrods... Valve springs are single with damper coil, on replacing rockers found the rocker geometery right off with roller sitting only just inboard of valve stem.. Pushrods were 351 windsor, after trying 4 different length pushrods found 351C Boss pushrods to be ideal however these required 6mm taller studs to mount rockers correctl... Havent restarted the mighty clevo yet, hopefully within the next couple of days... Hopefully problem solved, fingers crossed and a happy and safe xmas to all you ford freaks:)

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

If the springs were single plus damper there should be no interference with the umbrella style stem seal. Either they split due to heat & age (although your later comment about recent engine work would tend to proclude this) or there was another reason. Check retainer to stem seal clearance at full lift. Clevelands don't usually have a problem here but worth checking. What does it rev to? Single plus damper springs are limited to around 6200 or 6400 max when brand new.

Check the whole engine carefully. What you have found so far is in line with other comments I have received about this engine builders work. Sometimes good, often not so good.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Started n run the mighty cleveland with a bit of success, smoke has cleared but yeah its a high lift cam so dont know how long these seals will endure. XE used to run 4500 dominator with a manualized FMX and 3.45 rear running mid-low 12s by last owner so would imagine was driven hard n fast as you do, now has close ratio toploader setup with master cylinder modification needed from 5/8 to 7/8 bore to become mobile again (Tilton hydrauLic throwout bearing 600 series).. Will remove heads at a later stage to machine for positive type valve seals, still getting around to compression test, Cheers...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]