some issues with the xr8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: some issues with the xr8
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef XR8 / xe fairmont ghia 393.

SA, Australia

hi guys . just had a few issues. well its no secret that im building a xr8. problems. keep on coming to mind.

ok so i have what might not seem much of a problem. 75mm throttlebody and egr. however. i will loose a bit down low because of too much air flow. so rather than change my bodies over for the 4th time. due to idiots sending me the wrong product. ive ran out of patients and said to me self stuff it ill just upgrade the cam and make it use the 75mm. of air.

ok so questions...
Q1. what sort of cam will i need. i already have gt40p heads so im hoping i wnt have to play with them...

Q2. will i need to have my upper intake ported on the lip that attatches to the TB as im preety sure the opening is 70mm. correct me if im wrong.(explorer)

Q3. i have little cash so is anyone interested in a install day. :D as i was quoted 3900 for the job to be done.
ill supply beer and other neccesities .

any info and or assistance would be awsome. cheers guys.
. im in s.a

only other solution that i can be bothered doing would be to swap my 75mm TBandEGR plate for some ones 70 mm ones these parts are brand new.

cheers . jagga

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

with cam choise you need to decide where you want to make power, low to mid range or top end and depending on what cam you choose you might need new valve springs to match. thats bout all i can offer as im still learning myself.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Post subject: cheers millard.
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

cheers millard. i figured id prolly have to change some things like that. was hoping not but i think i might have to. im looking at making power from low to mid rev range.

xr9ute nows a good time for u to point me in the right direction.... AGAIN
ha ha just joking.

also is there any way that the au220 cam will be ok for this application or not. i dnt want to spend too much more on this car as its probably time to start saving for a house.

any 1 want to trade a 94 ed classic for a cam to suit plus instal... ha ha longshot

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

i think the stock cam in the auxr8 was the bit that let everything else down, go aftermarket for sure.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Tickmont Turbo

SA, Australia

ill have some free time on my hands soon
ill be more than happy to do a 2.5 hour drive to drink your beer
hahahah

thats about the extent of my helpfulness :)

i would have hoped to seen this thing on the road by now....

Current Ride - Phantom BA XR6 Turbo
EF II Fairmont Tickford Optioned, J3 Chip, Converted To 5 Speed
R.I.P. Nelly .... My NL V8 Fairlane..... Totaled by a kombivan

Post subject: yeah same
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

yeah same mate. but ive had way too much on with work girlfriend etc.
just finished stuffing round with vintage. so now im gonna get onto it.

come along any way. i wanna meet some people on the mods forums havnt met n e one in person as yet.

speaking to the workshop manager at wade cams tonite. hopefully we can work somthing out.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Is it a daily driver? Are you after a streetable car or building an engine more for drag strip running?
If your heads are going to remain stock then your choice of low - mid range cams will be a few but not overly many.
Crane 2020, 2030, 2031
TFS1
You can also look at some Crow & Comp cams ( Crow supplied the Tickford cams to Ford for the AU's and you can do better than their XR cams as Ford only wanted nice easy grinds to deal with emmissions etc )

Or you can go custom if you want to supply your head specs to a camshaft grinder.

Personally I would go for the TFS1 - fantastic bang for buck and you then just need to select the right valvetrain for the heads ~ including some roller rockers.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Post subject: it will be a streeter
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

hi vic it will be a streeter however i want that nice lump.

how much could i expect to pay for say a tfs1 and say good matching rocker gear

Post subject: help.
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

just curious. my engine is the au220kw motor so i believe it has yella terra 1.72 roller rockers. comeone correct me if im wrong. so question. will there suit the likes of a TFS1 cam. also is it a big job. huge job. or sim hoping its not a huge job. ha ha

will it be easier to take the motor out for this

Post subject: Re: it will be a streeter
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

jagga wrote:
hi vic it will be a streeter however i want that nice lump.

how much could i expect to pay for say a tfs1 and say good matching rocker gear

Oh it will have lump and so will your trousers when you hear it. From memory they were under $360 from High Performance World last year which I think included delivery too.
Ask for Jim.
As for valvetrain, get the nose and seat spring pressures from Jim and then you can approach an outfit like Crow for example and give them your spring specs and head specs. They will tell you what springs, collets & retainers you need for the cam specs you supply.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

The TFS1 was designed to work with 1.6:1 rockers. They will work with 1.72:1 rockers, but the valve events wont be exactly as intended.

If I remember correctly, Sylox was recommended against running this cam with 1.72:1 rockers.

The Crane 2031 is designed for 1.7:1 rockers.

I believe the Crow cams are designed for 1.7:1 rockers as well...a few guys have had pretty decent results with the Crow #621371 cam.

Post subject: xr8.
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

ok sweet cheers guys. so is it a big job. or will i. cough cough with help get it done in a day

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its not a real tricky job, but give yourself at least a couple of days to do it.

i couldn't find a way to swing the aircon thing out the way so I just removed it.

good idea to disassemble and clean out all the lifters while you are there...that will take a while.

you will need to check pushrod length for rocker geometry and lifter preload. you may need longer/shorter pushrods...you wont know what length you need until you fit the cam, and check the length with a pushrod checker...you could order pushrods overnight (maybe?)

or get adjustable rockers.

its more than worth the effort in my opinion :)

Post subject: sweet.
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

do u think it will be ok to do this job whilst its in the xr8. when u say the aircon thing. do u mean the bracket that holds the compressor and the power steering pump or the radiator type thingi...

cheers.

does anyone have any ideas i would expect to pay for this cam that xr8ute has reccomended... cheers

jagga

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Tickmont Turbo

SA, Australia

i am pretty sure they mean the condenser in front of the radiator

i might be driving up your way this weekend, depending if i get off the 12's
would like to see her in the flesh

Tezza

Current Ride - Phantom BA XR6 Turbo
EF II Fairmont Tickford Optioned, J3 Chip, Converted To 5 Speed
R.I.P. Nelly .... My NL V8 Fairlane..... Totaled by a kombivan