Fordmods Logo

straight through cats 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: falocn

VIC, Australia

im doing it for performance. not for louder exhaust or anything. i want a bit of pipe welded through the middle so there is no turbulance in the cat and you dont get that crappy sound. my engine guy told me to get my exhaust straight through, cause its restricting it way to much. and my tuning guy said the exact same thing when he had his laptop connected up to it

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

The cat's primary function is to remove:

- Carbon monoxide
- Nitrogen oxides
- Unburnt fuel

From the exhaust gasses. Please dont deliberately allow excessive levels of this stuff to be pumped into our atmosphere for the sake of a few rwkw.

If exhaust restriction is a problem then just get bigger/better flowing catalytics. They'll probably perform better anyways...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

the motors runs BETTER with a Cat, It needs some kind of back presure, Don't hollow it out, sounds like your engine dude and your tuning don't know what they are talking about.

If they say a straight though system, They would mean from the cat BACK with a GOOD set of headers and prob a high flow cat

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

and what experience do you have? my engine tuner is one of the top guys in the country, he has been building race cars and engines for over 35 years and have been tuning efi engine since the earley 80's. my my engine builder has been building drag engines for over 20 years. so if you have over 55 years experience then i would listen to you. but i know i would much rateh listen to people who have the experience and the know how behind them. but if you have some other good reasons let me know. thanks

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

evilef wrote:
and what experience do you have? my engine tuner is one of the top guys in the country, he has been building race cars and engines for over 35 years and have been tuning efi engine since the earley 80's. my my engine builder has been building drag engines for over 20 years. so if you have over 55 years experience then i would listen to you. but i know i would much rateh listen to people who have the experience and the know how behind them. but if you have some other good reasons let me know. thanks

Evilef,

If you are questioning the advice provided by the above poster, then i suggest you have a look at the website in his signature and also take note of how many Fordmods members use alted's performance products (as well as being long-standing supporters of the site in general). It is fair to say that their experience with EFI falcons is probably more applicable to this discussion than someone who has been building track-only drag motors for 20 years.

Simply because you are not being told what you want to hear, there is no need to question the advice being given.

A quick summary of the thread shows that you've been told:

- It's illegal
- It's irresponsible
- It's unhealthy
- There is no guarantee of a performance increase.

However, one gets the impression that all the advice offered will be ignored. Do so at your own peril, but please - do not disrespect those providing advice by throwing it back in their face.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes, i agree on the top 3. but i dont agree on the performance aspect. i did look at the web site b4 i wrote that and i did not find one thing about exhausts or v8's. so obviously they dont do custom exhaust's. i have talked to guys who work with exhausts and they have told me that it'll make more power but they are a bit hesitant to actually do the work cause of how it is illegal with the epa. thats why i came to this forum to ask peoples opinions and see if they have had experiences with this. and if they dont want critism back then thats not my fault. this is an open forum and you can write your own opinions. well thats what i thought. and i listen to my engine tuner guy more because i have seen more of his work. most of it is street cars. most vl turbos. and he also tunes and builds 6 litre gm engines, and alot of 5 litres for cobras. and holds several records for the most power out of an 8. (current holder of the superchared 8 record in australia) over 1000 hp at the wheels in a vs clubsport with a 6 litre in it. and he also deigned the autronic computer system, and thats what i have in my car. and i have never heard of this altedperformance b4 now. so yes they might know what they are talking about to. but everyone has there own ideas on whats the best for a engine.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

omg dude, you dont give up ay?
the power gain from going from a high flow cat to a straight through pipe would be f**k all.
you might gain 1/2 kw.

your engine builders and tuners with there 50 year experience sound like tools if there suggesting you run it with no cat on a street car.

from the EPA, its somthing llike a $10,000 fine the second time your caught with no cat.

ever smelt a car with a bad cat?
if your happy for your car to smell that, i dont care, because were not.
its choking, and makes me sick, plus your contributing to the depletion of the ozone layer, so i'll thank you when i get cancer.

spend yourself $150 off ebay and buy a s**t high flow, which is gonna get you the same power, make your car smell all nice, and do yourself some environmental protection at the same time.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

woah dude this threads like 2years old.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:30 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i agree with you there dude but did you realise this thread is nearly 2 years old ???

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Is EvilEF even still here?

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Probably got cancer from sucking his own fumes when parking in his garage!

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

seeing as how this topic has been resurrected and it does raise its ugly head from time to time, i thought i'd tell of my experience the past week.

i put my car on the dyno and did a run with the exhaust on and then dropped it off in front of the cats (extractors only) and did another run. i was quite surprised at the lack of difference. 2 rwkw to be precise. its a v8 running twin cats and a single hi flow muffler and 3" system. not sure if its an indication of every car but it sure surprised me. i expected a lot more than that. forced induction my net bigger results but in my case, there is virtually no loss in the exhaust system.

moral is, bashing cats out is a futile exercise. exhaust losses seem to be fairly minimal.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

elvondel is right on the money here and Prydey's results are a perfect indication of the minimal difference that occurs. In fact if Prydey were to refit the remainder of his exhaust system without cats it would probably be less of a difference than he got with just open headers.
There have been more than a few tests done on this but a good example is a test where a 600hp blown 5.0 made 1 more hp at the peak with high flow cats and the same hp with no cats.
One thing guy's do is to modify your stock cats with a 2 1/2" inlet and outlet....does it make a difference? I'd like to see a back to back test.
Anyone got some data on this?
If not I'll try it with the 5.0 that's going in my van....

Pete.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

kwaussiekid wrote:
Apparently-from someone experienced,you just stick a pipe through the cat and weld it up.It looks as though you have a working system,except that the cat is by-passed. Beware the epa!

EPA! EPA! EEEEPAAAA!!!

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: eb

VIC, Australia

evilef's mechanic has now got 57 years of experience
woooaaahhh thats old. did they even have cars when he started his career. hahaha

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2