Fordmods Logo

stroke or blow? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info, been reading all the other posts via the search. i suppose the con of stroking the motor is the side load on the block. ive already got a unichip, so either way it can be tuned properly. blower im leaning towards because it will give me greater power potentially. and its easy and relatively cheap to source fuel system from corral forums.

would i need to run a cooler if i got a vortech V1/2 running anywhere from 6-10psi for the stock engine if i didnt get it rebuilt just yet?
and would my crane 2020 cam being ok for a blown application?

cheers

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Lots of people say blown and stroked but unless you plan on running a Dart or FMS block then there really isn't any point IMO, either of them on their own will produce enough power to split the block (or come close). For the same reason, if you do end up with a stroker IMO don't bother with forged internals.

With a Vortech setup, you do not need to run a FMIC until you are over 14psi or so, at 12psi the intake charge on mine is still OK. I have gone for a decent water injection setup on mine mainly for the ease of installation, but it also produces similar and in some cases better results than a FMIC. CAPA do include a basic water injection setup in their kits which does a reasonable job but thee are a number of brands in the US which offer much better results.

The 2020 cam will be a very nice cam for a blown motor, it has a decent exhaust bias which is good for blowers. You could get more power with a more radical cam, but the 2020 should produce excellent results with stock drivability.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i spent about 9k on the motor in my xw and the amount of money of spent on other motors i woulb be very reluctant to do it again as you generally dont get any extra when you sell the car.had a super charger on the xr8 ute .when i sold the ute i then put it on my xr8 sedan $260 to retune.bit hard to do that with internals of engine .once the money is put into the motor it is virtuality blown out the exhaust.at least with a s/charger kit you can get most of your money back if you want to sell try doing that with a s/hand motor that has never been thrashed(yeah right)

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i'd go a 331cui stroker kit. with that you dont get the piston thrust problems or the rod length and piston pin hieght problems.

331 cubes with some quality cast pistons and some I beam rods would be heaps, keeping in mind how much power the stock block can handle.
ford the tophalf of the engine, take you pick of whats out there

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Put a blower on it with GOOD tune you won't have reliability issues!!! The weakest part in Windsors IS the block.As long as engine is bassically good nick a blower WON'T make it go bad overnight..
Again you need good tune with CORRECT spark advance and enough fuel to supply the extra air being forced in there...May as well use 42Lb injectors with correct calibrated maf or eec type tuner to change values...Maybe bigger sump for extra cooling etc...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

I went both but.... It I was going to go for only one, I would pick stroked.

Less hassle from EPA and police.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i am leaning towards supercharging at this stage. ive never been pulled over by cops as my car is stock on the outside - 15'' wheels and only lowered. the search is on for parts now!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so u reakon these FMS lime top 42lbs injectors will do the job?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bosch-42LB-Injec ... dZViewItem
may aswell start the ball rolling for parts!

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah the FMS 42's are a good option, they will generally provide enough fuel to support block splitting power levels, and can normally be found fairly cheaply.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

or should i go bigger? and theres a few 80mm MAF's floating around corral, that should be big enough - i have a 75mm throttle body atm.
cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No need for bigger 42's will suppot around 500kw, and the bigger the injetor the harder they are to tune. The 80mm LMAF is a decent unit, or look around for the 90mm version, especially if you go blown and want to run it in a draw through setup.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so i could get away with 36lbs injectors too. and im a bit rittled by the set ups for supercharging - draw through?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

You could get away with 36's but I would go 42's because that gives you headroom and they are generally easier to find and cheaper.

In a blower setup you can either have the MAF before the blower (drawthrough) or between the blower and TB (blow through). Draw through is gernarally regarded as better but the problem is you need a large MAF to avoid restriction, but the 80/90 mm LMAFs are good in this application.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i get ya now. the corral guys are suggesting the ford lightning 90mm MAF as they are work very effectively for tuning, or 80mm as minimum.
gota try n sell my MAF/24's!
anything else i need apart from bigger fuel pump, for the fuel system?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
anything else i need apart from bigger fuel pump, for the fuel system?

No not really, a walbro intank 255l/hr pump (or similar) along with the 42lb injectors should be able to provide you more than enough fuel.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next