Fordmods Logo

stroke or blow? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: stroke or blow?
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Want to go down the route of a 347ci motor or a 302 blown motor but am unsure which way to go. getting some prices together, come racing has a 347ci kit for $1750.
What is the better option considering I want lots of torque. Im assuming I'd need to rebuild the engine if I was to supercharge it properly.
What are the pros/cons of both?

Cheers

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Ever thought of going both? Its not that much more expensive if your'e going to rebuild the motor anyway.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'd rather do one or the other preferably. I think the scat stroker kit from come racing is pretty cheap and if they can blueprint the engine etc, port the gt40p's, that would be the cheapest option. the superchargers on the capa site i've looked at but i suppose id be getting more power and torque from a blower. if i did go blower id leave it a 302.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

stroke then blow!

Banned

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you intend building a stroked 302 Windsor engine, now is the time. We have a number of our nodular cast iron 347ci stroker cranks and rod sets on special till sold out.

347ci nodular crank fully finished...$395.00

Our forged 4340 steel "I" beam con rod sets...$395.00

We still offer our 347ci Stroker kits fully balanced including Keith Black or Hypertec hyperuetectic cast pistons, moly rings, rod and main bearings all fully balanced for a never to be repeated price of $1750.00 This offer is valid till the end of March 2006.

What u guys reakon of this, as im seriously thinking about this? If I got this which pistons would I get?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

ITs past the end of march now isnt it?

I reckon go a stroker though - more reliability than from a supercharger

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Actually I would bet a properly tuned blown 5L would be more reliable than a 347ci stroker, mainly because the large sideloading forces that the stroker has.

Either option will give good results, but if you have the budget go blown IMO. Far more power potential and better drivability for equivalent power figures. Also the cost of a blower and stroker package are pretty comparable (for a decent stroker engine anyway), you can get away with a cheap stroker, but once you start chasing 240+rwkw, blown is the best option IMO.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

But i would still need to strengthen the bottom end yes? id be looking at a few grand for that plus a vortech blower.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEAR-NEW-EATON-M ... dZViewItem
would this fit?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Depends on how much boost you want to run and what condition the bottom end is in. Generally a stock bottom end in decent condition is fine with 10-12psi, although a basic rebuild would be a good idea. If you want to run more boost, or rev the engine a lot then some ARP rod/main bolts and a good balance would also be a wise investment.

You could fit the eaton, but you would have to do a lot of custom fabrication.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Custom fab is more money that i dont have so gota give capa a call. i see they have some imported vortech/paxton kits from mustangs on the website. they mite be a bit cheaper?
http://www.capa.com.au/kits_vortech_ford.htm

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

vortech V1 S-trim kit from mustang - $3026.
V2 S-trim - $4244
V1 T-trim - $5880
Just gota find out whats in the kit and if they come with appropriate brackets etc.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The imported 5L kits would be difficult to fit because their accessories are in different locations. The Australian kits are designed for our engines and include far more (absolutly everything needed to do the install), hence their higher cost. CAPA will however put together a custom kit with only the parts you want, this saves quite a bit of money. I would probably just order the bare basics (blower, bracket and pulley system) from CAPA, then make my own intake piping, get a decent fuel system (walbro intank pump, 30-42lb injectors) and something to tune the it (unichip, chiptorque or aftermarket EEC). CAPA also sometimes have some reconditioned Vortech V1/V2's available saving a further $800, and IMO reconditioned is as good if not better than new.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just wanted to get the basics - so blower, pulley system and brackets is all I need from em?
Then i can save by buying fuel system elsewhere like corral/ebay.
you have a wealth of knowledge EDXR8!

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
I just wanted to get the basics - so blower, pulley system and brackets is all I need from em?

Thats it, the brackets and pullies are the custom bits designed for our engines, and will make the install easy, the rest of their kit you can just piece together from here or the US. I initially got pretty much the whole kit, but now only have the brackets, pullies and blower left, the rest has all been customised.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
But i would still need to strengthen the bottom end yes? id be looking at a few grand for that plus a vortech blower.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEAR-NEW-EATON-M ... dZViewItem
would this fit?

that is similar to my plans with "the b**ch" I have previously owned a few HIGH power street cars, but yet to play with forced induction
from what I have researched ,I feel you will be better off stroking it with a good quality forged STEEL bottom end, which won't give you much change from $2500, but the beauty of the inj windsor is that you can run either type of blower (centre mount or offset) at a reasonable price
I have opted for an eaton M90 and stroking it out to 355cui, simply due to the availability the parts required.
the main reason I would stroke it is, the low down torque achived with a smoother more user friendly cam, making it more of a daily driver with good fuel economy when treated right!
another option is to have 2 different sets of pulley ratios one for cruising & one for buisness.
The sky is the limmit, but the paycheque is reality, don't just jump in get some proffesional advise before buying another "dust collector" , kenny

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next