Fordmods Logo

Stroker Kits 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Stroker Kits
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Just looking at the www.comeracing.com website and on the home page they have 347 stroker kits on sale to the end of March for $1750.

I don't really know much about stroker kits so I was wondering if this is a good price and whether it is a complete kit. For example could I just buy this for $1750 and take it to a mechanic and come home with a 347 stroker or is there a lot more parts needed.

Also is it pointless stroking a engine if it is stock or would I really need to go down the heads / manifold / cam path first.

And finally can the stock ecu handle running a stroker or do you need unichip etc. Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in looking in to this as there is an el Xr8 the same as mine up here which is a 347 n/a pushing 240 odd rwkw and that sounds bloody good to me.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

stroker kit is usually new crank shaft, rods, pistons and rings. not sure if any gaskets or bearings are included. bearings prolly are...
it's pretty much a rebuilt bottom end or is once it's been fitted...

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

yea id be keen to know about that too. my heads and everything will be off soon so it something to think about.......

mmmmmm.........stroker.....:)

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

I don't know if thats a gr8 price, depends if bearings and rings come with it but here's one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-FORD-347-WINDSOR-STROKER-KIT_W0QQitemZ4618238001QQcategoryZ50139QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
not bad for $1100. :D

I'm going down that road at the moment but doing the full re-build, and IMO if your doing a bit by bit rebuild then the stroker would be the last thing on the list. Heads, inlet, cam, exhaust would be the first items to go in.

The stock ECU can learn its way around a few mods but if you get to stroking then you'll need an aftermarket ECU to run the show properly. :D

Above all else before you go handing out the cash, do a bit of research on building a SBF. There's heaps around on the subject and the last thing you want are a bunch of miss-matched components leading to a poor performing motor. (Although it's pretty hard to get any more poor performing than it is stock. :lol: :lol: )

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

So heads / manifold / cam is the way to go to start off with then. As I live a fair way from a city there aren't any real mechanics / shops around that I can talk to about stuff like this.

Anyone know a good place in Adelaide that does stuff like trickflow heads etc and that would actually know what they are talking about?

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

phatal wrote:
So heads / manifold / cam is the way to go to start off with then.

most definately.. the heads and manifold are wot make the standard v8 the 165kw motor that it is. and i dont mean in a good way..

post up a thread here and on ff.au etc askin wot heads/cam/intake people are runnin on their strokers.. and wot power etc they gettin.. that'l give you an idea.. also check out www.corral.net in the 5.0 86-93 mustang area.. u'l find alot of 300rwhp(225rwkw) combos on there at least.. and thats with a torquey setup. but a bigger port/runners/cam combo would give you more top end power(ie 240rwkw +)..

FYI, im planning a 347 stroker based around a comp XE270HR cam, edelbrock heads with 2.02" intake valves, and a gt40 intake manifold. tho i may upgrade the manifold for an edelbrock rpm2. not looking at great power, just great tractability and torque..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Instead of 347 try a 331. The reason is the lower rings have a full seat around the pistion and there is no cut out at the piston pin like a 347 thus the ring will last longer and will not trend to blow smoke. In he laest Mustangs and Ford Feb 06 there is a good acticle on the 331
making 400hp with iron heads. Just be careful what kit you get as there is some junk out there, ie dont know the brand dont buy it.
Steve

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

theres a lot more to stroking the motor than just buying the stroker kit snd taking it to Ultra Tune and getting it fitted....i was able to get a full SCAT kit with H-beam rods, king bearings thru my old work for $2200 (rrp over $6000). after everything was added up like the mains girdle, new balancer, machining, and a cheap fitting etc it was gonna cost $5000 just for the bottom end !!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]