Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: stroking a 302w
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i'm just after some tips and advice from those who have done it before i look more seriously at it. basically what i want to know is, what is invloved, what gains are there, and how much does it affect economy if at all.

is it just crank and rods or are diff heads req. sort of tossing up between this and just changing heads and intake to later model au type or aftermarket. if the stroker kit requires better heads (my e7's are ported but not sure how much. makes 160rwkw) then i'll prolly just change heads and intake and stay at 302.

will a 347ci with stock heads perform better/worse/same than 302ci with gt40/explorer setup and whats the price comparison on the 2 setups.

thanks for any help guys.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Speak or PM AXR88U, he had a worked 302, then stoked it to 347, so he would be the best to speak to if you ask me
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cheers. one price difference i can see is that changing heads and intake to au type is something i can do myself but don't really have the equipment to be pulling motor out.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

You dont have the equipment to pull the motor out, but you want to build a stroker?

Even well ported E7 heads and ported HO intake will choke a 347. You would be lucky to make power past 4000rpm.

Step up the heads, cam, intake and leave it a 302.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

Different pistons are required with stokers as well. All the stock gear (heads & that) will fit onto a stroker.
But all that said, a 347 with stock heads & manifolds would'nt good for anything much more that pulling out tree stumps.

If you've only got a limited budget, then for the cost of a stroker, I would definately spend that money on a good intake manifold (edelbrock rpm II,. terroristGHIA will back me up that they are great intakes), and a good set of alloys (afr165 or trickflows tw, will fit on a stock bottom end).
To see how well your e7's are ported, I would just start off with an intake manifold. A good intake manifold will make a big difference on it own. Get a larger MAF & TB as well :idea:

As for economy, mate your talking about a v8 here aint you :!:
Gotta use the fuel to make the power. Heads & that, wont affect economy that much until you start to lay the boot into it.
Things like strokers & cams bugger economy up a bit though.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xr8ute- no i was not planning on doing the stroker myself. if you re read my posts you will notice i said that i could do the heads myself if i left it 302. from what you have said the heads are a requirement for the stroker anyways so i guess i'll just settle for that for now as you suggest. i'm assuming the cheapest option will be to chase down an au setup and extractors to match.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

AXR88U wrote:
Different pistons are required with stokers as well. All the stock gear (heads & that) will fit onto a stroker.
But all that said, a 347 with stock heads & manifolds would'nt good for anything much more that pulling out tree stumps.

If you've only got a limited budget, then for the cost of a stroker, I would definately spend that money on a good intake manifold (edelbrock rpm II,. terroristGHIA will back me up that they are great intakes), and a good set of alloys (afr165 or trickflows tw, will fit on a stock bottom end).
To see how well your e7's are ported, I would just start off with an intake manifold. A good intake manifold will make a big difference on it own. Get a larger MAF & TB as well :idea:

As for economy, mate your talking about a v8 here aint you :!:
Gotta use the fuel to make the power. Heads & that, wont affect economy that much until you start to lay the boot into it.
Things like strokers & cams bugger economy up a bit though.

economy at the moment is about 17 - 18l/100km. 3.9's and minispool prolly not helping that side of things. tune is good though. running microtech and mafless and tb is 65mm i think. how do those aftermarket heads compare with gt40's for price. considering with gt40p's i'd need new headers as well. would my current extractors bolt up to aftermarket heads or would i need new ones anyway?

questions questions. this is my first v8 :oops: and already it needs to be faster. have levelled a vysv8 6sp so it goes o.k but power is a drug.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

What intake manifold are you running ?

Good heads are worth $1600-$2000 brand new. As for 2nd hand, you dont see them for sale much. Reason for that is that people who get them are happy them, hence they hang onto them, but you can be lucky sometimes. They bolt straight up to everything (extractors, intake man, ...).

My theory is that if you are going to the trouble of pulling heads off and on, you may as well do it good 1st time & not worry about fiddling with them again. As for price, you were talking about a stroker before were'nt you :!:

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

www.corral.net
www.fordmuscle.com

May have fun doing some reading. :D

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The RPMII is a great manifold, i picked up 20 hp and about the same torque with this and a set of extractors. With all my mods, i went from 110 rwkw to 148 rwkw. Admittedly these were on different dynos and different days, but from a 16.3 to a 14.8 certainly proves the point.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Capri

VIC, Australia

Hi Prydey,
I'm just a new member posting for the first time. I have gone down the path of stroking a 302/347 and a 351/418. If you have deep pockets and don't care about fuel consumption then I thoroughly recommend it. If you are going to invest the time and effort in such a project then my advise is to do it properly. With the 347 you will also need to notch the bottom of the bores to compensate for the extra throw of the crank, because of the increased stroke. I originally set up the 347 with alloy Performer heads, Performer manifold and a reasonably small solid cam, 460 thou lift. Although the car was good for low 12's, it just lacked that full on aggressive power. The second time around I swapped the heads for Victor Jr's, used a FunnelWeb manifold and solid Crane cam, 560 thou lift. End result is much better. The car now runs mid 10's with out No2 and is very streetable. In short the 347's really need a well breathing head and manifold. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Capri

VIC, Australia

Hi Prydey,
I'm just a new member posting for the first time. I have gone down the path of stroking a 302/347 and a 351/418. If you have deep pockets and don't care about fuel consumption then I thoroughly recommend it. If you are going to invest the time and effort in such a project then my advise is to do it properly. With the 347 you will also need to notch the bottom of the bores to compensate for the extra throw of the crank, because of the increased stroke. I originally set up the 347 with alloy Performer heads, Performer manifold and a reasonably small solid cam, 460 thou lift. Although the car was good for low 12's, it just lacked that full on aggressive power. The second time around I swapped the heads for Victor Jr's, used a FunnelWeb manifold and solid Crane cam, 560 thou lift. End result is much better. The car now runs mid 10's with out No2 and is very streetable. In short the 347's really need a well breathing head and manifold. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cheers mate. i think i'll just stick to 302 for now. heads and intake will be the next step. cheapest option i gather is finding a set of gt40p's and explorer intake. i haven't looked into it at all though and am a bit of a novice when it comes to v8's. this is my first one. is there much diff in cost with a good aftermarket setup. already has cam. (crow stg 3 i think)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]