Fordmods Logo

supercharger 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ea falcon

VIC, Australia

Ay guys startin 2 get over my worked i6

considering you bastards pull similar power stock!!!

anyway whats it cost you guys to run a V8 and what did it cost to supercharge one???

cheers

EB XR6 project almost complete!

Soon on road with pics!

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If i was you i'd go straight for the blower cause the key words you used is 'i haven't got an endless supply of cash'

It will cost you around 8K for a NA setup to pull around 180rwkw, then another 8K to supercharge it, so unless you've got a mere $16K you'll end up with an NA setup and realise you wont be able to afford the blower.....don't forget that your budget will be blown cause something always crops up, not to mention if you go both transmission wont cope so that'll set you back an arm and a leg too.

I went the NA setup to get it flowing properly and will go forced down the track, but if you want better bang for buck, the blower is a better buy.

Other thing though is legalities. Blower un-engineered is illegal whereas NA your a lot safer, so that is something to think about too.....we would all like both but reality is both will cost roughly $20K for a reliable setup....nasty!!!!

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

There are some very good points there champ, i will ponder over them over the next few days. I would really like to get the charger and all the other NA setup bits, but yeah money has to stop somewhere, and i didnt get as much of a tax return as i wanted. Bastard tax man, who ever thought ofthe idea of paying tax!!! a**hole

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah tax returns can be nasty.....i've taken care of that though by paying second job tax on my only job, gets me a nice chunk once a year, good way to save but it's usually spent by the time i get it.

Unfortunately there's no cheap option, and the heads, manifold and cam being the big restrictions, I guess you could stick to manifold, throttle body and maf to flow a little better, then do heads and cam down the track, although more cost effective if everything is done at once.....tough decisions

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

After reading through replies, ben i reckon your best bet is get the charger, then further down the line do the rest of the mods.
Your car really needs that power, and you know you want it now your cars lowered and you stole my idea of having BA rims.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Yeah i want the power now, car is sitting low, with mags and tint, so engine mods are now on the way.

Getting headers in the next few weeks, then see how the cash flow is like after that.

But i have been thinking today, i might get the manifold and heads first, maybe only gt40's and explorer, then i will whack the charger on there. But that willbe in the next 12 months or so. money is very tight atm... the missus is getting a new car... bugger her..

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: falocn

VIC, Australia

i would change the heads and intake. get everything flowing better. get even more air and fuel in there. i have trickflow heads and intake on my ef. i got 175rwkw out of it. so add a supercharger runnig around 7-9 psi. and i would be wanting to get around 250rwkw.

i have been told as a rule of thumb, with every 6 psi of boost it doubles your horse power. but thats with no presure lost anywhere. which you cant help anyways.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

evilef wrote:
i have been told as a rule of thumb, with every 6 psi of boost it doubles your horse power. but thats with no presure lost anywhere. which you cant help anyways.

I am pumping about 11 pounds through to get double my stock power. The intake is pretty damn restrictive on the EF, so fixing that & throwing a cooler on might help.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Its a little hard to think that for every 6 PSI will double your power. Maybe from stock, it may happen, but thats still fairly optimistic.
I have seen mine, with stock s**t heads and manifold go from:
126rwkw stock, (exhaust, extractors)
183rwkw, on 3.5 PSI
212rwkw on 5.1 PSI

So on average i have noticed for every 1 PSI i have got 20rwkw out of it.
But i doubt that will still stay true, as it will soon be running 8-10 PSI. But i am not expecting another 100rwkw if i ran 10 PSI. Personally i wouldn't really want it, cause i would kiss goodbye to my gearbox, and i don't have the funding to be replacing that atm, if i don't have to.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

interesting on the power gains that have been dyno proven.

Still cant choose between stroker and charger . :shock:

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

You can go along way with N/A and it also gives you a good solid performance backing if you decide to go forced.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Well a Stroker, is always a godd idea, its a lot more legal. Plus you are rebuilding your motor as new almost. SO you should have a reliable motor.
Whereas myself included i am putting a little extra stress and strain on my stock motor, which seems to be holding up fine, although i have only been able to run 5 PSI, but it has still copped a flogging, and has put up with it so far with no complaints.

If you go to someone who can build you a good stroker, it will cost as much if not more than a blower, but where i get my car tuned, he has been getting high 200rwkw's out of 347 strokers. So there are still good power gains to be had from the strokers.

I guess it really comes down to what you feel like. I just love the blower whine i've got and its a little different, but getting more common these days.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:27 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

just a random q..

can u and is it worth supercharging a 5ltr au on gas and on 450000 clicks?

its been rebuilt recently

or should i go for turbs?

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

dj`emz wrote:
just a random q..

can u and is it worth supercharging a 5ltr au on gas and on 450000 clicks?

its been rebuilt recently

or should i go for turbs?

You can.

Weather it is worth it or not... depends on what sort of condition your engine is in and what sort of $$$ you can afford/be bothered spending to maintain it.

I would think it is well on its way to its used by date to produce mass amounts of power.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:36 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

i just dont know if its worth it, in acouple of months im getting my old mans 02 ltd (white leathers, satnav, sun roof) but thats also on something like 350,000 (we got a limo business)

i was thinkin about getting a gsr/evo III where like seriously, xorst, cooler, boosted, semi-slicks = 220kws = <12sec car...

to get the lane to them times would cost and continue to cost an arm n leg!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next