Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Swapping ED I6 to ED/EF/EL V8
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Can it be done? (with both engines) How much would it cost? Does anyone think its worth it?

See, i love my ED, and i love it even more because its manual, and since ive just replaced most of the rear suspension, and the clutch recently, id like to keep it, but ive become, rather p****d off, at the I6 thats sitting in there now. Every time i even look at it sideways, something new breaks. HEad gasket, top coolant pipe from rad to thermo, coolant pipe from block, coolant leak, stuffed lifters, lots of oil leaking from half moon seal, s**t sump etc...

Im about to start a job in costruction, which apparently pays fairly well, so i want a new car or a new engine, since the ED is my first car, i dont want to give it away.

And judging from what ive seen around surfers paradise, ill be 1 of 10 ford V8 owners in the city. This place is full of jap crap ricers, or old bastards in s**t cars that do 20 under the limit.

So yes, V8 from ED or EL/F into an ED. Possible? Worth it? Reasonably cheap. (under 6-7k)

Car Killer.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Its too much work IMO, I know you want to hold onto the car but by the time you change all the wiring, K-frame, gearbox (I6 and V8 ones are different) and engien you would have spent a lot more than just going out and buying a ED V8. If you want to keep your ED, consider a good quality rebuild and then a turbo setup, probably similar cost (depending on how much power you want) and a far better end result.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

If you're heaps keen, check out Waggin's thread called Firey Fairmont....

Big job... good if you can do it yourself, or better yet - have mates to do some of the tough parts.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmm, didnt know the gearboxes were different, or the K frames. I thought about going to JMM but i just moved to surfers (from melbourne) as i said so hes a bitfar away, and i know all of 6 people in the whole state, and theyre family and all but 1 are female.

Turbo kits are about $5000 arent they? I was looking from real power, from the engine, not forced induction, anyone can make a car go fast with a turbo or 2. Plus id rather spend money on doing the cam, pistons etc, than turbo BOV, wastgates, intercoolers, then cam pistons ECU etc...

Plus the sound so much better. I dont really want an EL/F ive decided i dont like them. But from what ive seen ED V8's are hard to come by and arent they powerfull (am i correct?)

Car Killer.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Yeah the ED V8's aren't that powerful in stock form but IMO still far nicer to drive compared with the I6 (more usable torque). There is plenty of aftermarket stuff now availalbe for the 5L windsors but they are fairly expensive to mod.

I know a lot of people want to get power naturally aspirated but I think its the only way to go with the 6cyl. Even a fully worked NA I6 will be slow compared with even the most basic turbo kit. A basic turbo could be done for a couple of grand, but it all depends on how much power you want and how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Im not against turbos, its just every wanker on the coast has a turboed something, i wanted to be different.

I might see what i can do when i get some cash up, I want something thatll do 0-100 in 6-7, i suppose thatd be achievable.

Car Killer.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

5ltr & 5 speed with a 3.45 diff is still a quick car
complete motor & box with k frame wiring ect can be had for about $3500 and a diff for about $750
a couple of weekends work with some of the QLD FMers and you have a V8 :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmm, to be honest, i dont think i much care about what it is, turbo or V8, as long as it goes quick and sounds good.

We'll see what happens, i got $8000 to pay the bank and family first.

:(

Car Killer.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

How bout a 351W out of an F-truck? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EB Ghia Leather interior & more - CLICK HERE

Lightning Strike '06 BF Fairmont - powered by ICOM JTG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]