Fordmods Logo

To up grade or not 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: To up grade or not
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Wagon V8

NSW, Australia

I have a question about what to do with my 5.0ltr. My EBII 5.0ltr Wagon is basically a family car, so fuel economy is important. But I want to make it breathe better and while keeping economy. Maybe get a few more HP out of it. I think one of the first things to do is to upgrade the standard headers (sorry for saying headers) to a better flow system. Whether it is a branded style or a Ford XR8 style. Now with the intake and heads, would it be better to just port match the standard HO gear. Or would it be better to upgrade to GT40 or GT40p heads and Explorer style intake. But by changing the heads and intake would I use more fuel by doing that, so therefore would it be better just to play the HO stuff. Keeping in mind fuel economy, I would probably keep the standard TB and injectors. At the moment the car is going great, but I think I can free up the flow of the system. I just need to pointed in the right direction. Do you have any ideas and help would be great.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

I'd look at a decent set of headers and a free flowing exhaust for starters, Pacemaker or Hurricane make good off the shelf headers for the 5.0L. Also go through everything and make sure its in top condition, servicing injectors, checking O2 sensors, coolant temp sensors etc will all help maintain good fuel economy.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

If you intend to keep the wagon, this you may given that there are few alternatives, then it would be worthwhile to at the very least put a set of headers on. This will give you a boost in performance as well as better fuel economy. If you have some money left over, get your cats and exhaust replaced too.

I don't know how you feel about LPG but believe me, LPG and windsors are a great pairing. I have LPG on my V8 wagon and I've lost a bit of torque, especially up a hill in 5th gear with a trailer, but get economy and power. I've since made up this defecit with the recent work done on the motor namely heads, induction, cam and exhaust.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Wagon V8

NSW, Australia

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at the headers you have mentioned. I have replaced a lot of the sensors in the engine bay. I have found a company in the US that makes all the sensors, EGR valves and solenoids, idle control etc. And have replaced a few of these parts. And there is no problems when I check the engine codes. I should have mentioned, the car is on LPG (last 24 months) and it goes great. As advised from the installer, I give the car a new set of plugs every year, new air filter, make sure the leads are good and a tune.

I was just curious whether I should play around the standard HO stuff or replace it with better gear. I have been reading info from the Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Book (Al Kirschenbaum), George Reid books - Ford V8s on a budget and Ford Engine Parts Interchange. And they give give good backgroung knowledge and hints to what parts to use. But as this site is a great information base, where people have actually have done the stuff. I am just curious what people have done and what they have found. Not to make a speed demon, just to the best out what I have. And for that reason and reading the books, if any one has any GT40 heads for sale. please lets me know. I know GT40P's are better; but for what I want, they will do. Still un-sure on the intake.

Cheers,
jase

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i upgraded my heads and intake not long ago to the gt40p's and explorer and noticed no loss in economy but gained power.

i also run hurricane headers which are very good.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]