Fordmods Logo

Towing with a BA XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Towing with a BA XR8
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

A while back my young bloke posted a few questions about AU's for me,some of you sugested that maybe the BA was the smarter choice and after checking out some prices I tended to agree.I found a couple that presented well on paper and was ready to make the trip of a couple hundred k's to look more closely at them when I found out that they are only rated to 1200kg tow capacity (I have to have a manual),I'm gutted,I realy want an XR8 but I have to be able to tow 1400kg.I can't find anything on the ford site to sugest I can get the manual over 1200kg.Is there an aftermarket fix for this or is it that the manual box just wont cop it ? Any help you blokes can give would be appreciated.

PS Idon't want a commodore and I don't want to sell my boat.

Go the mighty blue oval!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I'm not sure but I suspect its the clutch that will give up. Plenty of high horsepower/high torque XR6T's are running aftermarket clutches from places like Mal Wood that are holding up fine so that could be a solution. I'd also be looking at a Mark 2 onwards, as they came with the T56 6-speed manual which is a far stronger box then the T5.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

The limiting factor is the clutch. The T5 can handle it. Autos are far better for towing due to the torque convertor multiplying engine torque.

However my mate with a VP 5sp commodore tows a drift car on a trailer regularly. He only have a v6 too. You just have to be prepared to replace the clutch more often than normal.

Note:
Make sure you get a towpack that is rated to above 2000kgs tho.

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

im not sure mate ....but i thought it was more in the construction of the towbar mounting points and towbar itself and i thought you could get a heavy duty uprated option for some models .......have you checked with Ford ....parts should know if one was available

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

i have the six speed manual xr8 ute and i do tow a ski boat (frequently) and a large transporter with it (occasionally), the boat not a drama but at nearly 40000 on it the clutch has just about given up.... wish i had of bought the auto

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

The clutch is definitely the reason. This is why the manual has been discontinued in the 3V ute. My response to the ford dealer that told me this was "That's your fault for not putting a tough clutch in there!" followed by... "now you are not going to sell me a ute!"
You'd think they'd at least fit a decent clutch to a GT or XR8?....underdrives was the last straw for our GT clutch. Got a Mal Wood job to go in now.

Pete.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

totally agree with you pete

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]