Fordmods Logo

trans change 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: trans change
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

the 72 ford i have, has a 400 cleveland in it. the tranny is a bit tired and sometime in the future should be repaired/swapped out. i was thinking of fitting a ford AOD item, to get a 4 speed box, but as it has a big block bolt pattern they wont fit without an adapter. i have tracked one down for approx $800, but if i'm paying for an adapter is there a better box to fit? the adapter supplier suggested a TH700 (possible sacrilege) but these are a bit dearer than a AOD. any suggestions?

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

Whats wrong with a good old C4 ? :)

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

Stevo wrote:
Whats wrong with a good old C4 ? :)

its a 3spd?

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

it already has a C6 in it, so if i have to stay with a 3spd i have no problems with doing it up/exchanging it. it was just an idea to get a bit more economy out of it and get a more leisurely rev range at highway speeds.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Lentech in Canada does excellent tough AOD's with bellhousings to fit any engine.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

:D Shortened tailshaft, a mighty big sledge hammer and you could bolt in an E40D or equivilent, cheap rebuild with a few upgraded parts and good for big torque. The good part is they came out behind the big block.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

the budget will be a bit tight for a while, so how much are the lentech items? also those EOAD trannys, I assume the E stands for electronic, so how hard is it to match up to an old car, and get it to shift properly?

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:20 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

It would be better to go with the AODE/4R70W and use for example a Baumann Engineering standalone controller.
The E4OD/4R100 does come in bigblock pattern but it is so physically huge you'd have to do large mods to your trans tunnel.
Plus the AOD is more efficient anyway.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Go an AOD as XR9UTE mentions, for a 400M you need a BBF bellhousing.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

it's been a while, i've been otherwise occupied. is there a dealer in oz that would sell a AODE/4R7OW, 2nd hand, and how much should they be?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:18 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Most of the 2nd hand U.S. parts importers have these.
AOD's should be available for around $100 because that's all they're worth. Make sure you get a later than '88 model box because the '79-'87ish ones have a rear shaft lube problem.
AODE/4R70's would be a little more but shouldn't cost more than about $300-$500 but these are a much better choice even so.
You'll probably want to get one from Lentech straight up because you can buy it properly built(this is a major consideration as most locals don't know how to build em right) and he machines the bellhousing off and supplies the correct 385 series housing you require. Unless you have an FMX block? which means any smallblock gearbox will bolt straight up.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks. i shouldn't need to get the bell housing done as the 351m-400 has a big block ? or are they different? i didn't want to get too expensive at least not for a while, and was hoping a good 2nd hand unit would be okay, but i still need a controller i do this, and bauman haven't responded to my email. are there any suppliers in aus?

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

crsmith wrote:
thanks. i shouldn't need to get the bell housing done as the 351m-400 has a big block ? or are they different? i didn't want to get too expensive at least not for a while, and was hoping a good 2nd hand unit would be okay, but i still need a controller i do this, and bauman haven't responded to my email. are there any suppliers in aus?

AOD didn't come behind any big blocks, so you would need a different bell housing except if you had the rarer small block bolt pattern as per why Pete was asking if it was FMX block as some early 400M were fitted with that over weight waste of cast iron and space FMX.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yes you're right. i did have a cost for an adapter kit to suit a AOD somewhere and it was around $800. someone further back in the topic suggested a AODE/4R70W if I use a Bauman controller but nothing seems cheap or easy. bloody 400. I'm almost thinking about getting a 351 in the future and fitting that up. i'd have a better range of gearboxes, etc, but what i'm reading about the 400m looks interesting to say the least.

Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

seeing as this thread appears to be finished i thought i may hijack it.

Has anyone actually put an AODE in their e series falcon? Also is the only difference between the 4R70W and its next predecessor the gear ratios?

Physically how big is this box?

Is there going to be a big screw around with electronics for it running in an e series 8?

Reasoning: sure its easier to get a diff change, but I also do a fair bit of highway km's so want to maintain lower revs in 4th. These also seem fairly cheap and from what I have read are fairly strong.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next