Fordmods Logo

Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please 

 

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

Hi Guys and Girls

Got my new engine fired up yesterday, just need a wheel alignment tomorrow due to front end up grade and she will be cruising the roads.

Quick question - Engine needs a tune, spoke to John here at Erina who is promoting Heltech Interceptor plus Dyno tune for $1500.

Has anyone had good results with Heltech and is $1500 the going rate ???

Engine rebuild is,
Trickflow 170 cc cylinder heads, TF Street Burner intake manifold, TF Stage 1 cam, TF 24 lb injectors, Holley 70mm TB, Pro-M MAF 76mm calibrated to 24/30 lb injectors. MSD Coil packs, Tuffy Extractors with 3 inch pipe. Custom 'Box Type' CAI with RAM filter. Copper Radiator.... Reconditions 302 Eagle short engine.

LPG disabled!!!

 

 

Attachments:
Dyno Chip Advice .jpg
Dyno Chip Advice .jpg [ 486.74 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

My XR8 runs E11V2 Haltech..
If your "happy" with tuner ??
GO with what he says...
He doesn't want to wast his and your time...

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 am 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I wouldn't use a piggy back device of any type.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:36 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I wouldn't use a piggy back device of any type.


Which way would you go???

I understand piggy backs have there limitations and that's why iam publishing these post. People talk about standalone but when I google not much comes up. But I get the impression that a standalone is a fresh ECU - is this than easy to program ???

Cheers

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 am 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Ok, I personally would use a moates 1/4 horse but if that's not available to you the Sniper or SCT stuff could be used. Stand alone is simply not necessary and there's a host of problems associated with going that way especially with later vehicles like yours...the AU EECV(I believe you have an AU?) is extremely powerful.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Ok, I personally would use a moates 1/4 horse but if that's not available to you the Sniper or SCT stuff could be used. Stand alone is simply not necessary and there's a host of problems associated with going that way especially with later vehicles like yours...the AU EECV(I believe you have an AU?) is extremely powerful.


Cheers - personally I like Moates quaterhorse and that's what I've been looking at. I like the option of self tune on the fly for my second car is a subura and it has 3 factory tunes to choose from.

Only problem Quaterhorse is it seems to be a Windows software program, and computer stuff is Mac. I've sent an email to BPRacing quizzing them on this.

What I'm coming to understand is - when it comes to performance, nothing is simple.

Finally re Quater horse - is that something I than dyno tune??? I mentioned it to the dyno guy here and he said I've never heard of it - which I felt was s**t with him just wanting to push Haltech

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:02 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

You'd likely use Clint Garritys' Binary Editor/EEC analyser software which is windows based yes, but then practically everything is. Mac is just nowhere I'm afraid...honestly I'd just buy a cheap windows based laptop and be done with it. 1/4 horse and BE is just so cheap you can afford to do it that way too.
A lot of dyno shops won't have heard of it because they don't want to learn about something else which, is understandable but of course it limits their ability and if they're pushing a piggyback well, you know what I think of them.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
You'd likely use Clint Garritys' Binary Editor/EEC analyser software which is windows based yes, but then practically everything is. Mac is just nowhere I'm afraid...honestly I'd just buy a cheap windows based laptop and be done with it. 1/4 horse and BE is just so cheap you can afford to do it that way too.
A lot of dyno shops won't have heard of it because they don't want to learn about something else which, is understandable but of course it limits their ability and if they're pushing a piggyback well, you know what I think of them.



Thanks for all that - you feedback and new information is of great support.
Also did some more reading today on current topic, and whilst there will be learning curve I believe in the long run both my pocket and car will be far better off... Specially considering the fact that I want to keep modifying engine.

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Your welcome bluestripes,
My thinking when it comes to engine management is that I prefer to have a device that I myself can use that retains the factory EEC.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 699

Joined: 1st Jan 2006

Ride: Lots, all Fords

Location: Hamilton
New Zealand

First check you actually have QH support for your ecu box code. Some Aussie ecus are covered, others are not. If your ecu is supported, QH is by far the best option. Perfect the tune on the QH then once the engine combination reaches it's final state simply burn it to a piggyback chip, and the QH can be sold or moved to the next project vehicle.

 

_________________

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
First check you actually have QH support for your ecu box code. Some Aussie ecus are covered, others are not. If your ecu is supported, QH is by far the best option. Perfect the tune on the QH then once the engine combination reaches it's final state simply burn it to a piggyback chip, and the QH can be sold or moved to the next project vehicle.


Thats interesting regarding support. How do I check???

I have an ECU V and website says QH works on AU 5lt fords... so at face value, i felt QH was a GO!!!

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

bluestripes wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
First check you actually have QH support for your ecu box code. Some Aussie ecus are covered, others are not. If your ecu is supported, QH is by far the best option. Perfect the tune on the QH then once the engine combination reaches it's final state simply burn it to a piggyback chip, and the QH can be sold or moved to the next project vehicle.


Thats interesting regarding support. How do I check???

I have an ECU V and website says QH works on AU 5lt fords... so at face value, i felt QH was a GO!!!


Get the catch code off your EEC. It's a 4 character code on the EEC connector and sometimes on the blanking plug that covers the J3 port on the back of the EEC.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3

Joined: 29th Mar 2008

Ride: AU3 XR8 220 auto

Location: S.E. Melb.
VIC, Australia

I can vouch for the QH.

 

_________________

2002 AU3 XR8 auto, Crow 1371cam, modified GT40p heads, HPC coated Tri-y Pacemakers, Difilippo twin 2.5" stainless exhaust. Live tuning performed by me with Moates Quarterhorse & Binary Editor software. 205rwkw. NGVB5_22CA strategy supplied by 5.0 ED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1886

Joined: 26th Nov 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

From what I can gather, Matt @ BPR has quite a few strategies available for the AUs. With any luck, you will be covered. If not, not all is lost. If you can get a read of your tune and send it off to a bloke in the US, Adam Marrer @ Pops Racing, he will be able to create a strategy for you... at a cost. I've had a guy in the UK create a few strategies for me which cost me about 10% of what Adam charges, but I don't think he'll be doing any more for Aussie cars as the demand isn't there to justify the amount of time he spends on them.

I was running the same top end kit in my EL XR8 and was really happy with it. I think you will too, once you get her tuned. I made 275rwhp on a DD Dyno on 38 degree day after heaps of power runs. I just tuned an EL Fairmont with the same kit on the weekend on a Mainline dyno that made 278rwhp through the auto. Both cars running on the Quarterhorse.

 

_________________

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Trickflow top end kit - heltech Interceptor advice please
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 61

Joined: 14th Jun 2011

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

Location: Central Coast
NSW, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
From what I can gather, Matt @ BPR has quite a few strategies available for the AUs. With any luck, you will be covered. If not, not all is lost. If you can get a read of your tune and send it off to a bloke in the US, Adam Marrer @ Pops Racing, he will be able to create a strategy for you... at a cost. I've had a guy in the UK create a few strategies for me which cost me about 10% of what Adam charges, but I don't think he'll be doing any more for Aussie cars as the demand isn't there to justify the amount of time he spends on them.

I was running the same top end kit in my EL XR8 and was really happy with it. I think you will too, once you get her tuned. I made 275rwhp on a DD Dyno on 38 degree day after heaps of power runs. I just tuned an EL Fairmont with the same kit on the weekend on a Mainline dyno that made 278rwhp through the auto. Both cars running on the Quarterhorse.



Thanks for feedback - just wrote a lengthy reply and the bloody webpage crashed.

In essence - still having problems with my engine, its up and running though only in limp mode. I am waiting for a cam sensor alignment tool from the states prior to sending it off to the dyno.

was very interested in the QH - but i started to distrust my ability to tune. Most people on the central coast go to John at erina who uses the haltech interceptor... but his talking $1500 to $2000 to fit and tune. :roll:

Anyways thanks for your numbers and hopefully i can pull the same. Thus far I ve spent over $12k rebuilding her... that tyres suspension and front end up grade, now just wanting to spin the wheel and have some fun.

Different note - have you ever had fuel rail problems??? My outer FR have surface rust and last night engine started surging at medium revs. I think it may be the fuel flow.

 

_________________

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names