Fordmods Logo

types of spark plugs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: types of spark plugs
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i have a el ghia v8 and want some feedback on sparkplugs people are using. i heard the spitfire are good. whats the diff with platnum and iridium

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

JUST use ordinary $2.80 NGK's You'll do atleast 40.000 on them...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
JUST use ordinary $2.80 NGK's

Exactly. Cheap, easy to find and they work. Go Irridiums if you really don't like changing plugs and want to leave them in there for ages, but even with their extended life I would be pulling them every service just to check their condition and gap, so it really doesn't save much work IMO.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:

Exactly. Cheap, easy to find and they work. Go Irridiums if you really don't like changing plugs and want to leave them in there for ages, but even with their extended life I would be pulling them every service just to check their condition and gap, so it really doesn't save much work IMO.

And if you dont take them out to check every service, you will never get them out... this is commonly happeining on a lot of late model cars, ie BA falcons - plugs are left in for 10's of thousands of k's, when you try get them out they are either carboned up, or rusting, inside the combustion chambers so when you go to remove them either they will snap, or take the thread with them.

Go the cheap NGK's even if you change them at 10'000 km's its still cheaper than platinums. Theres no performance in plugs.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:30 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

ngk are a good plug

autolite are another good plug bit more of a performance plug

spitfires are the best for sure there justa bit pricey if you go to the site www.lynxcorp.com you will see dyno proof. also autolite make spitfire its just there higher performance plug

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

Has anyone here tried indexing their plugs I hear this adds power. I would have tried it but I don't have axcess to a dyno to tell if it works

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

10,000_Fists wrote:
spitfires are the best for sure there justa bit pricey if you go to the site www.lynxcorp.com you will see dyno proof. also autolite make spitfire its just there higher performance plug

Lynx corporation, sounds familiar, theyre not in Rhodes by any chance are they?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

Yep,
indexed my iridiums on GT40Ps - went thru 4 boxes before they all worked out. Fortunate knowing the parts bloke as he took back those that not needed - as for difference - didn't notice that much but for a couple hp. Though I think every little bit helps.
Word of advice - dont break a plug at later date as it is a real pain to find correct one.
I know some use index washers but I did not explore this.
Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so wat plugs would be good for gt40p's then? have iridiums in there but i'll just get normal ngk's, any part no's?

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF XR8 5spd

NSW, Australia

I just used BPR6EFS (ngk) they are the non platnium equivelent to the TR55IX...

EF XR8 5spd: 302ci /178rwkw

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Just watched the Lynx Corp vid (link is actually www.lynxcorp.com.au)Does anyone else think a 30hp gain at the rears with spark plugs, air filter and leads is a little on the optimistic side? The commodore shown picked up 12kW at the rear with the splitfires alone...sounds like a nice little number rigged just for Splitfire if you ask me...maybe I'm just too skeptical. Either that or that car had been seriously neglected with lots of kays on the clock... Someone let me know if this is for real cause I'll buy some tomorrow !!! Hmmmm :?

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Windza wrote:
Just watched the Lynx Corp vid (link is actually www.lynxcorp.com.au)Does anyone else think a 30hp gain at the rears with spark plugs, air filter and leads is a little on the optimistic side? The commodore shown picked up 12kW at the rear with the splitfires alone...sounds like a nice little number rigged just for Splitfire if you ask me...maybe I'm just too skeptical. Either that or that car had been seriously neglected with lots of kays on the clock... Someone let me know if this is for real cause I'll buy some tomorrow !!! Hmmmm :?

it's posible if the old plugs were stuffed.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]