Fordmods Logo

Upgrades for Boss 290??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Upgrades for Boss 290???
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XT Fairmont, 03 BA Pursuit ute

QLD, Australia

Hey guys recently purchased a BA FPV Pursuit Ute and am looking at adding some more power to it just not sure whats out there and whats the best stuff to do for it. Iv done the usual google searches but end up with endless crap that has nothing to do with what im looking for. If anyone has any ideas or has upgraded their BOSS 290 id like to hear from u. Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Upgrades for Boss 290???
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

what budget and what power do you want?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

well the budget isnt too much of an issue as i want to get as many parts as i can stockpiled then when i get some time away from working get them installed and or worked on. Im after some serious power just dont know if i want to go forced induction yet. I wantr to build up the motor first then probably later add a s/c

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

around 300rwkw is the best that can be acheived without a built, High compression, cammed motor.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeah im looking to get more than that so i want to work the motor to eventually handle a s/c. If it was an older v8 id be putting a stroker kit through it but im not sure if there are anything like that for this motor. Basically i want to pull her apart and go back in with stronger performance parts to handle and provide more hp.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane

VIC, Australia

I am no expert here but I thought that the Boss engines took very well to forced induction and can make upwards of 300RWKW without being opened up. Wouldnt that be a good starting point then look at what needs to be done internals wise to up the boost.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeah iv heard the same thing, basically can bolt on a s/c with only a few mods and custom tune but i didnt want to just throw on a s/c i wand an extremely strong starting point before i s/c her. If i can get 300rwkw+ before charging her id be in a better place power wise.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:08 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

The Boss can handle massive power. An old friend of mine has a BA II GT-P pushing 460 rwkw on a stock bottom end with a Vortech supercharger and 4.11 diff ratios.

Attachments:
Boss Kw.jpg
Boss Kw.jpg [ 75.92 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Bloody hell!!! Thats the sort of numbers id be chasing but where im located i do alot of highway driving so i dont know if the 4.11's will be practical but i do like the sounds of it. Do you know what other mods they have done to the GT-P?

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

Unfortunately i only see him on the odd family occasions. He dosent bother to keep in touch since he got married and had a kid. The last mods i know of are having a strenghtened 6 speed manual with short shift and drive train, Flash tune, Intercooler fitted, had cams at one stage but i think he went back to stock ones, 19 inch wheels, lowered. Maybe more done since ive last seen him. The car was featured in Ford magazine a while back.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

ahh ok fair enuf, iv been told that going a different cam isnt really worth it the standard one are pretty good.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:43 pm 

NSW, Australia

If i remember correctly the cams were causing the car to run worse and it didnt want to idle very well.
Its been a while :lol: I know he spent a s**t load of money on it thats for sure.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeah my missus has a GT-P with cams and it doesnt always like to idle properly either. I know these things can get very expensive but if done properly well worth it

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

If moneys no option then I would
1) di filippo twin 3 inch system with cats and extractors
2) Bluepower CAI
3) Kenne belle or yella terra supercharger
4) Billet underdrives and Billet oil pump gear
5) 4.11 diff gears
6) Flashtune

all that should give you enough power to kill yourslef a couple of times haha. obviously you may need to upgrade transmission, brakes, etc to acommodate the huge increase in power. I wouldn't bother wuith cams, remember you have a quad cam motor which means big money for small gain in relation to a supercharger etc. The bottom end on these motors shouldn't give you too many problems, however someone on here with more experience then me may be able to give you more of an insight.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

cheers mate thats sort of the way im thinking, it already has the big brembo brakes on her so stopping isnt an issue but will definatly have to look at the box and driveline.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next