Fordmods Logo

*URGENT!* EF 5.0 MAF help (Adelaide) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: *URGENT!* EF 5.0 MAF help (Adelaide)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

Haven't posted for a while, the old site used to crash my browser!?

My Ghia 5.0 suddnely lost a lot of power on Thursday, losing top end power, backfiring through the airbox and generally running very roughly. After checking all connections, timing etc. I took it to Adrien Brien Ford on Sat. and they have diagnosed a suspect MAF.

Does anyone have a spare EEC5 MAF or be willing to plug theirs in to my car for 5 minutes so that I can see that it is definitely the problem? I'm hoping to isolate the problem so that I don't go spending money on other components which may not be the cause of the poor performance. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can help out :) I'm in the Edwardstown area.

Ph. 8357 5220
W. 8281 6367
M. 0402 418 458

Many thanks in advance, Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Disconnect it for short time? If it runs the same ??? It's R.S...
Have tried cleaning maf ?? Wash out with petrol or some spirit when off car...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Post subject: Re: *URGENT!* EF 5.0 MAF help (Adelaide)
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
My Ghia 5.0 suddnely lost a lot of power on Thursday, losing top end power, backfiring through the airbox and generally running very roughly. After checking all connections, timing etc. I took it to Adrien Brien Ford on Sat. and they have diagnosed a suspect MAF.

As EBXR8380 siad, try cleaning it out with some carby cleaner, if you can remove the electronics to clean them it is much better. Unfortunately its a common problem for the MAF to fai, if it is faulty don't bother replaceing it with the ford item. Get a Pro-M bullet which is far cheaper and will alos give you a decent power increase.

I have a spare MAF sitting here but unfortunately it is calibrated for 24lb injectors and would probably run too lean on yours but if you are desperate I am sure we can work something out to make it work ok for at least a test.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

If you can ring me today (Sunday) and bring your car up the hill to Morphett Vale I can try mine on it for you. I also have a Pro-M 70mm calibrated for the standard E- series computer and 19lb/hr injectors siting at the workshop.

Shane
mobile 0408866006

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well.......my new hero Shane called up today and we had a good look at the car. We tried a couple of his trick new MAFs on my car to no avail. New dizzy cap and rotor (crap aftermarket Echlin one has too much gap between pins and rotor- don't buy one!) reduced the backfiring through the throttle body, but still massive power loss.

After a lot of head scratching we decided it is low fuel pressure. After limping home at 80-90km/h on the freeway and slowing down whenever putting the foot down, I tend to believe the theory.

I'll keep everyone posted in case you have the same problem at some time. I also had a look at Shane's beautiful MAFs, billet throttle bodies and underdrive pulleys. NICE to say the least. Everybody buy 'em, now!

Mike

BTW, had a drive of the freak 550,000 Fairlane too. Be wary when pulling up at the lights against this. Talk about a Wednesday motor..... :twisted:

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How did you go with your heads today?
Shane

Weapons of choice
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hi Shane,

Haven't been able to get around to it yet, but should be Ok by the end of this week. I spoke to my mechanic today and he is pretty sure it is a fuel-pressure related problem. Hopefully I'll pick yours up this week :)

Still interested in that wheel BTW (hint, hint!).

Thanks again for your help mate! Catch up soon.

Mike

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Well......my fuel pressure problem turned out to be nothing more than a blocked fuel filter for cryin' out loud! I took it out and I couldn't even blow any air through it. Less than 2 years since I changed it too. I have the feeling that I may have picked up a bad batch of fuel, even though it only ever gets BP Ultimate.

Shane,(my hero) I picked up the manifold from Barry and threw it on last Wed. night. It was a long process compounded by my car refusing to start again and a flood of water through the workshop during the massive thunderstorm we had that night.

It's running OK now, but Ijust can't get the base timing set. The faulty ChipTorque ECU (without idle control) isn't letting me get into diagnostic mode to set the timing. GRRRRR! I also managed to ship the lip off one of my injectors near the needle. Could this be causing the intermittent rough idle?

Mike

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
It's running OK now, but Ijust can't get the base timing set. The faulty ChipTorque ECU (without idle control) isn't letting me get into diagnostic mode to set the timing. GRRRRR! I also managed to ship the lip off one of my injectors near the needle. Could this be causing the intermittent rough idle?

IMO take the chiptorque out and let the EEC relearn on its own. I really think the chiptorque chips cause more problems then they are worth sometimes. Good to hear you are getting it sorted slowly, its great to see everyone helping out.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Good to hear the Ghia is back up and running again. Sometimes the little things we overlook come back and bite us. I can't wait to see how it goes running properly. Maybe we can line it up with the old Fairlane for "evaluation" purposes :twisted:
Shane

Weapons of choice
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hi Grant!

Bad news, Mr. Riddel at ChipTorque decided to send me another ECU (3 years ago) custom modded for my car. There is no extension chip to remove... :( I do recall seeing a 7kW increase on the dyno way back then and a snappier throttle response, but I'd trade that for just being able to turn the key in the cold mornings and start the car without throttle!

When can I get a ride in the XR? :twisted:

Shane, yeah, a classic case of not keeping good quality coolant in the engine. STAY AWAY FROM TECTALOY!!! My water galleries were nearly corroded out to the top of the head. I am now running an incredible quality coolant and trans fluid supplied by Fluidmasters. They supply aviation quality fluids for all vehicles and actually run the vehicle while changing them. A cool machine in the truck sucks out old fluids and pumps in the new. You can see it through the sight glasses, particularly good for the auto trans where you need 100% fluid change. Apparently, after a couple of changes, their engine oil stays completely clear for extended periods.

I'll post up the info when I have more time. BTW, you have a PM Shane. I think your Wednesday Fairlane would 'evaluate' me off the road!

Cheers, Mike

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
Hi Grant!

Bad news, Mr. Riddel at ChipTorque decided to send me another ECU (3 years ago) custom modded for my car. There is no extension chip to remove... :( I do recall seeing a 7kW increase on the dyno way back then and a snappier throttle response, but I'd trade that for just being able to turn the key in the cold mornings and start the car without throttle!

When can I get a ride in the XR? :twisted:

Ahhhh I see now, would be interesting to try a factory EEC then and see if it is any better (I would imagine it would be seeing all your problems).

As for my car, should have the final bits and pieces done and tuned within the next 2 weeks fingers crossed. Then yeah come for a ride :D

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Grant, yeah, I'd love to go for a ride man! Go easy though, I've never been a good passenger. Ask Shane, I was politely asking how good his brakes were at one point the other day. Damn that Wednesday Fairlane!

The Ghia is improving. I can only tune the thing by ear though and it doesn't want to idle properly. It runs smoothly although still down on power a little, but is hard to start cold. It seems to have two idle modes: high (I turned it up to stop it stalling at lights) and also low and very lumpy with some throttle hesitation when hot. Could my one slightly damage injector lip cause a bad idle? I thought it would only affect the spray pattern and not the idle quality this badly.

I'm still suspecting some fuel pressure issues though. I'll change the filter again when I can and have a look at one of those new fuel pump and regulator MrLandau is getting soon. Too hot today to go fiddling with the car although a wash wouldn't hurt.

Mike

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hmm maybe drain tank and replace fuel pump..If that much crud is getting into filter ???

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I took the NL down to do a dyno run to test the air/fuel ratio on my car after doing a few little mods (including a 70mm Pro-M airflow meter) and on the last pull it started pinging and dropping power. The technician asked me if I had been adjusting the timing as he thought I had too much advance. Left the place wondering why it would have advanced now and not any other time when the car started refusing to go over 3000 rpm.
A trip out to Paralowie to help Phil with his AU 5.0 - E series conversion and the car stared running hot - which it never does and power started dropping away significantly. Sound familiar????
Popping and carrying on up the hill on South road.
I guess I am changing
1. Main fuel filter
2. Fuel pump
on monday...
Shane

Weapons of choice
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Sort by