Fordmods Logo

V8 and 5spd into a Gli 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: V8 and 5spd into a Gli
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi peoples.

I'm in the market for a new car. I've thought about the XR8 and decided against that. Then I considered the Fairmont V8 and a 5 spd conversion. I've decided against that now aswell.

I'm thinking now about getting the cheapest clapped out EF/EL gli. The only requirements I have is a decent interior and decent paint.

I don't care about engine condition, cause I want to dump a V8 in it. I don't care about the auto trans cause it's getting replaced with a T5. I don't care about the suspension cause it's getting progressive rate springs and Koni shocks.... new bushes are a minor cost compared to springs and shocks.

My question(s) is/are:

1. how much is a V8... probably looking at an AUIII vintage
2. how much is a cam and what cam do I get?
3. How much is a T5?
4. How much is an LSD?
5. How hard is it to put a V8 into the car? I'll use a forklift to lift the engine. That's no problem.... but is it a bolt in conversion or do I need a different cross member?

Edit: Depending on the cost of the conversion, I'll also be looking @ a Megasquirt II with wideband oxy and a decnet zorst. Hoping for around the 240kW mark (flywheel). That should relate to 190-200RWKW

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've done a fair amount of research into this as I'll eventually be doing this conversion to my EFII Fairmont so I might be able to help you on this.
1) I'm pretty sure you can use the AUIII V8 but the engine wiring harness and ECU will have to be from an EF in order to work with the BCM. Either way, to change the I6 harness to the V8s requires the dash to be pulled out and stripped of the majority of its wiring. This is the part that has me worried. Seeing that your beginning with a GLI, I suppose you might as well install climate control while your in there.
2) Decent cams are usually around the $400-500 mark. Read a few posts and see what cams people on the forums use.
3) Taking a stab in the dark here but i'd put this somewhere in the $1,500 mark (to build up a decent box with heavy duty clutch etc). I'm staying with an auto for mine.
4) Rebuilding a diff with new bearings and a 3.45:1 centre should be somewhere around the $1,000 mark i'd imagine.
5) Overall the mechanical side of things should be relatively straight forward but the electrical is a prick (as I mentioned before dash needs to come out etc etc). You can use the I6 crossmember but you'll obviously need the 5 Litre engine mounts. As far as I know you don't even need to modify it in any way.

If I was in your shoes I would stick to buying a car with a V8 in it and converting the thing to manual instead. A lot easier and hastle free.

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I would have to agree with Chich. Why buy a car that you are going to have to completely gut from the front seats forward to make you happy with it.

Buy an EF/EL fairmont or ghia (already with the V8) and do a manual conversion. I reckon the cheapest decent EF/EL will set you back $3500-4000. Then you have to drop the motor and box and completely convert to a V8 Manual. Lots of time and probably another $4000 at least by the time you have ginned around finishing it! By the time you have spent that much you are getting into V8 Fairmont territory anyway.

Trust me, you will have far fewer hassles using the KISS principle!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Why bother when you can buy this 1997 El Falcon Gli with a V8 already ( rare as Hens teeth I reckon as well) for $9950 and it's in Victoria as well
see link here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales ... istance=25

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah. Over priced. And it's white.

Plus, my friend and I are looking foreward to doing the swap. But I just need prices.

Apart from the wiring, I can't see it taking any more time than a weekend with the proper equipment.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

You could bargain a bit with dealer I reckon you could get it done to $8000. But yeah shame it is in white. Would look like a real sleeper in a Dark Blue or Green

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Nah. Over priced. And it's white.

Plus, my friend and I are looking foreward to doing the swap. But I just need prices.

Apart from the wiring, I can't see it taking any more time than a weekend with the proper equipment.

My cousin will be doing my conversion and he thinks it'll take about 4 to 5 days. Now he's a mechanic and has all the right tools at his disposal so if you're planning to do it yourself in the garage I would add a few more days..

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've got up to 4 other people that are willing to help me.

All of us, while not mechanics by trade, do know one end of a torque wrench from the other.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Chich wrote:
I've done a fair amount of research into this as I'll eventually be doing this conversion to my EFII Fairmont so I might be able to help you on this.
1) I'm pretty sure you can use the AUIII V8 but the engine wiring harness and ECU will have to be from an EF in order to work with the BCM. Either way, to change the I6 harness to the V8s requires the dash to be pulled out and stripped of the majority of its wiring. This is the part that has me worried. Seeing that your beginning with a GLI, I suppose you might as well install climate control while your in there.
2) Decent cams are usually around the $400-500 mark. Read a few posts and see what cams people on the forums use.
3) Taking a stab in the dark here but i'd put this somewhere in the $1,500 mark (to build up a decent box with heavy duty clutch etc). I'm staying with an auto for mine.
4) Rebuilding a diff with new bearings and a 3.45:1 centre should be somewhere around the $1,000 mark i'd imagine.
5) Overall the mechanical side of things should be relatively straight forward but the electrical is a prick (as I mentioned before dash needs to come out etc etc). You can use the I6 crossmember but you'll obviously need the 5 Litre engine mounts. As far as I know you don't even need to modify it in any way.

If I was in your shoes I would stick to buying a car with a V8 in it and converting the thing to manual instead. A lot easier and hastle free.

Are you sure you have to swap the dash wiring over, I have done a v8 conversion in an EB and only changed the engine wiring over.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Black Betty wrote:
Chich wrote:

Are you sure you have to swap the dash wiring over, I have done a v8 conversion in an EB and only changed the engine wiring over.

I think there is a harness in the dash that links up the BCM with the ECU and the auto transmission computer.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The V8's have a dedicated auto box computer, so the I6 comp and loom need to go. as for a manual conversion for a 5.0 using a t5, its closer to 2500 fitted, i know cause i have priced it, for the money spent, spend 8k and get a t56 form mal wood, much better box and indestructable, but damn pricey
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Jesus. $2500 for the 5.0L and T5 fitted (I assume that what you meant and not just the V8) is damn good.

I'll probably wait till there's a Gli for around the $2000 mark, possibly something with a buggered donk since it's being replaced.

That puts me $4500 for a 5.0L V8 manual. Leaves me plenty of money for progressive rate suspension and a Megasquirt.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Jesus. $2500 for the 5.0L and T5 fitted (I assume that what you meant and not just the V8) is damn good.

I'll probably wait till there's a Gli for around the $2000 mark, possibly something with a buggered donk since it's being replaced.

That puts me $4500 for a 5.0L V8 manual. Leaves me plenty of money for progressive rate suspension and a Megasquirt.

I think he meant the box alone.

To purchase a 2nd hand T5 plus the rest of the odds and ends required for the conversion, you're up for around $1500-2000 + fitting.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

2500 is supply and fit a new T5 to the 5.0 only, and if you punish it it will break, you have been warned
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pft. $2500. You gotta be kidding.

I've done some investigating and I can get V8, car, 5spd box (and put heavier duty bearings in it before it goes in), progressive rate suspension and maybe even a Megasquirt with Wideband oxy all for around the $8000 mark.

How can you say $2500 for a 5spd box when they've been advertised on this very forum for $500?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next