Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Yep....lol

I picked up the cam because it was only $250. Then i spent;

$245 Crane valvespring kit p/n 44308-1
$ 29 Comp Cams 1.480 spring shim kit p/n CC4755
$109 Rollmaster timing chain set p/n CS3040
$562 Yella Terra ‘Stealth’ 1.6:1 Roller Rockers (adjustable) p/n ST-2047

Plus maybe $50 in gaskets, so just over $1200 to do it yourself w/roller rockers...

Still, its the best mod i've done yet by far :)

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ray - nearly all parts are ready to go, just finalising the small stuff now like gaskets, rollmaster timing chain set , oil, head bolts and cam choice. With any luck it will be all up and going by christmas!!!

After reading many replies and trying to do much research, I am still not 100% convinced that the following setup will max out my 19lb injectors. The combo is as followed:

Slightly ported GT40P heads to TE50 spec, with 20,000kms of use
Double valve springs
YT 1.7 roller rockers
TFS1 cam, with rollmaster timing chain set
AU explorer upper and lower manifolds, no porting for the time being
19lb stock injectors
65mm TB
75mm MAF calibrated to 19lb injectors

The way I see it, as i'm not convinced (might be completely wrong though), I think I should install all parts as you see above, possibly hit a bit of dyno time and see if injectors are at full duty cycle, thats if you can on the dyno. If they aren't, then i've saved myself the hassel of finding a new maf, and dont have to upgrade injectors, p;lus save $$$, or, if I do max out injectors, then obviously I will have to upgrade maf and injectors, but is easy to do.

The only other thing is checking the piston to valve clearance, which makes me think i should go for a different cam, just to make sure it wont have any issues, cause once the motor is out or all parts are off to change it, i dont want to find out that it wont work.

What do you guys think, and am I overestimating or underestimating anything?

Cheers

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ray - nearly all parts are ready to go, just finalising the small stuff now like gaskets, rollmaster timing chain set , oil, head bolts and cam choice. With any luck it will be all up and going by christmas!!!

After reading many replies and trying to do much research, I am still not 100% convinced that the following setup will max out my 19lb injectors. The combo is as followed:

Slightly ported GT40P heads to TE50 spec, with 20,000kms of use
Double valve springs
YT 1.7 roller rockers
TFS1 cam, with rollmaster timing chain set
AU explorer upper and lower manifolds, no porting for the time being
19lb stock injectors
65mm TB
75mm MAF calibrated to 19lb injectors

The way I see it, as i'm not convinced (might be completely wrong though), I think I should install all parts as you see above, possibly hit a bit of dyno time and see if injectors are at full duty cycle, thats if you can on the dyno. If they aren't, then i've saved myself the hassel of finding a new maf, and dont have to upgrade injectors, p;lus save $$$, or, if I do max out injectors, then obviously I will have to upgrade maf and injectors, but is easy to do.

The only other thing is checking the piston to valve clearance, which makes me think i should go for a different cam, just to make sure it wont have any issues, cause once the motor is out or all parts are off to change it, i dont want to find out that it wont work.

What do you guys think, and am I overestimating or underestimating anything?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
After reading many replies and trying to do much research, I am still not 100% convinced that the following setup will max out my 19lb injectors.

It will max out the 19lbers without a doubt, you may still get half decent AF ratios but you will be running 100% (or at least above the 80%DC safe limit) duty cycle well before max power which isn't a good thing. There is a reason why anything with more than 185kw from the factory came with 24lb injectors rather than the 19's.

As for the PV clearance, any half decent aftermarket cam (2031/2030/TFS1 ....) is going to give you the same concerns. I found that even with a small 480th lift cam my PV clearance was on the limits with my GT40P heads (T3/220kw spec too).

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Looks like i'm sold on the 24lb injectors then....will put that on the shopping list.

What would you do in my situation for a cam? Would I be a bit safer looking at the 2031 which is designed for the 1.7rr's?

By saying that a cam with 480th lift is near limits of the same heads, wouldn't 550th lift definately pose a problem? What is the other determining factor in PV clearance?

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I would probably steer towards the 2031 with the 1.7's, the TFS1 cam is a great cam and some are getting good results with 1.7 rockers (usually with higher compression motors though) but unless you are running an aftermarket EEC, edit or custom tune you may end up with idle issues.

While lift and duration are sometimes indicators for PV clearance, its the events around overlap that really count because thats where the psiton is at the top of the bore. I know many people who run the 2031/2030/TSF1 cam with stock pistons but on mine for some reason it was way too close. The larger valves fitted to the tickford modded GT40P were the main problem, I had clearance issues around the outer edges of the valve reliefs. It may also be due to the different psitons used in the ED V8's, the later model pistons may have slightly larger valve reliefs.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Alright, cheers, that sounds like sound advice - very helpful.

Any idea how much i can pick one of these cams up for, or know of anyone selling one? Should I go regrind or new?

What do you reckon estimated rwkw will come to? I've tried not to be too ambitious but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks a lot

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
Alright, cheers, that sounds like sound advice - very helpful.

Any idea how much i can pick one of these cams up for, or know of anyone selling one? Should I go regrind or new?

What do you reckon estimated rwkw will come to? I've tried not to be too ambitious but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks a lot

Expect to pay around $400 for the cam, and you will need to go new billet cam (there aren't many regrind windsor cams available and if they are then they are only very mild cams). As for power I would expect somewhere around the 180rwkw mark, but the main thing is this type of combo should develop great low end and midrange power.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Also whats your opinion on these injectors? Suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/hsv-vs-215i-24lb ... dZViewItem

Cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The 775 injectors are only 21lb at stock fuel pressures, you need to run an adjustable regulator with fp of 48psi to make them flow 24lb, then they will be ok. BTW, these are the same injectors that are in the 4cyl Magna's which you can often find at your local wreckers.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've found stock injectors from a VT which are also 24lb for $100, but does the same rule apply as the 775's?

Would I be better off looking out for injectors from an AU XR?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
I've found stock injectors from a VT which are also 24lb for $100, but does the same rule apply as the 775's?

Would I be better off looking out for injectors from an AU XR?

Cheers

Not sure about the VT injectors, if you have the part number I may be able to find out their exact flow specs.

Au XR8 injectors are 24lb but they run different electrical EV6 plugs but you can get the connectors for around $100 a set if you want to run them. The cheapest option would probably be to run the 775 injectors with an adjustable reg set at 48psi.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Can't seem to find a model number on the VT injectors yet....

Am I right in saying that standard fuel pressure in the EL's were 36psi, might be wrong, therefore ill need 12 psi extra from the regulator?

You'll be sick of Vic and I soon!!

EDIT: Apparently the VT injectors are 22lb and VY injectors are 26lb. Looks like the Magna 4cyl injectors with a fuel pressure regulator might be the go

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah stock fp is 36psi from memory.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

250 to 300 kp depending what model? T sereies run higher f/p...
Should get injectors flow checked anyway...
Can purchase up to 36's on Corral for $100 U.S pluss $50 shipping....24's are almost a give away...
Go back a few pages, they start getting desperate..You'll possibly need to buy 8 though...
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=323

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next