V8 conversion!! help 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: V8 conversion!! help
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

hi i've asked this a few times but i really need a real answer how hard would it be to put a V8 in to an ea2 fairmont and which 8 would be best? i dont really care if its not that much more power just i love the rumble it reacon it would suit my car with the gt kit i have please help someone!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

structurally, you just need the eb v8 k frame..

you'l also need bigger booster with matching master cylinder.. and of course the v8 front springs/exhaust.. rad is same size between 6 and 8, but id go thermos while you're at it.

a windsor 5.0 from an e series would be the go, then you can take the whole dash/loom/ecu along with it.. or get an aftermarket ECU.. (i dont know if you could just plug in an eb1 engine bay loom and eb1 computer - small chance thats possible)

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:59 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, like jmartion said, get the whole engine/loom/trans/dash out of EB-ED 5 litre. Bit's and piece's you can kinda slap together, e.g. just get V8 tacho for dash and put that in... But personally, unless you really specifically want a 5litre EA, I'd keep an eye out for an EB 5 litre Fairmont or XR8

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

why dont you check out the other posts and put a 351 windsor in? seems straight forward enough and costs arnt that high when you compare it to a 5.0 windsor, plus a 5.0 windsor will have you bored pretty quick. god knows i am!! lol

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

would i have to change my dash seeming mines electronic and ive got sport gas shocks does that make any diff or do i still need to change all that? reason is i like to be diff don't see any ea's with gt body kits and a v8 in nz wut would the cost be? even 2nd hand

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:57 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

V8 Tacho is different. That's really the only thing, so a whole new dash isn't necessary. As long as you have the Sports Instruments (oilpressure, voltmeter,tacho)it's all pretty much a straight hook up. Figure on a V8 with loom to be(and this is a reeaaal rough guess) anywhere between 2-5 grand. Depending on condition.
351 is gonna cost a s**t load more then the 302, cause you'll have to do an EFI conversion on it.
Rough guess all up for a 5litre into it, with everything is..hmmm... guess 6-8g's? Could be more,could be less...

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
351 is gonna cost a s**t load more then the 302, cause you'll have to do an EFI conversion on it.

Umm - why would you have to fuel inject a 94-97 351 FUEL INJECTED Windsor????? Would be just as easy to find a EFI 351 and a EB wreck with the motor removed and buy the loom and gear from that - most wreckers will just scrap a car with no driveline in it as the majority of the saleable parts have allready gone
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Maybe purchase a 351 inlet??? All other 5.0 fits or can easily be made to...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

i think i'd stick to the 302 can always stroke it out later 351 sounds like a big job so all i need really is an e series motor and eb gear?

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:55 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

easy thiung to do is find a total loss eb/ed falcon and put all the running gear , wiring interia into your EA shell !
would be just like getting a newer car then !
Cause i have recently done this conversion to another FM memebrs car already ! we just got another car for all the parts we needed .

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:43 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

My bad, I'm thinking Clevo :? Didn't even see the "windsor" on black ed xr8's post... :oops: Somebody slap me...

Troy wrote:
i think i'd stick to the 302 can always stroke it out later 351 sounds like a big job so all i need really is an e series motor and eb gear?

Yep, sounds like a plan.. Good luck.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

MRE-40L take long cost much? they happy with it? was it worth it i think it would be i really dont like stuffing around selling it when i got a good car already just the wrong motor would it make much diff if it was an eb or ed

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey Troy,

It was my car which got the treatment.

the labour could be done in one long weekend, assuming you have all the right parts ready to go, and someone who knows what theyre doing on the tools :D

The V8 donor car was purchased for $1500, and we used almost everything from it except some wiring looms, due to there being a difference between EBII Pre92 and EBII Post 92, this put the project back a month just waiting for looms!

You would be up against much bigger problems in an EA regarding wiring, you'd have to find all the gear from an EBI to do a near plug and play conversion, even then I couldnt give 100% assurance that everything will work flawlessly.

Normally I wouldn't have considered doing the conversion, however with the car totally stripped down after an underbonnet fire, and a dead 4L sitting under there it was the perfect opportunity to make the most of a situation as it could've possibly cost the same kinda $$ to get a 4L back up and running in there.

There is a thread in 'Off Topic' called Firey Fairmont, check it out for some pics!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

think i'd stick to the 302 can always stroke it out later 351 sounds like a big job so all i need really is an e series motor and eb gear?

OH you like doing stuff the expensive way,seriously check xr9's 351 to xe post, got me thinking big time

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

What would you surgest Waggin? you glad u did it? the wiring the only prob? the way sum were talking it was structal...anyhow i was starting to read ur thread but its f**k long i'll have to sit down and have a good look at it

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next