Fordmods Logo

V8 economy 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: V8 economy
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

My EBII V8 monty wagon uses 25-30 litres of gas per 100kms and I don't even drive it hard. The car was only converted to straight gas three weeks ago and I have only driven about 500kms. The gas fitters told me it may take about 1000kms before the ECU sorts itself out for running on gas. Is this the case or am I being spoon fed horse s**t. The car has new
plugs, HT leads, rotor, cap & a pod filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: V8 economy
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

benzine wrote:
My EBII V8 monty wagon uses 25-30 litres of gas per 100kms and I don't even drive it hard. The car was only converted to straight gas three weeks ago and I have only driven about 500kms. The gas fitters told me it may take about 1000kms before the ECU sorts itself out for running on gas. Is this the case or am I being spoon fed horse s**t. The car has new
plugs, HT leads, rotor, cap & a pod filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
what type of gas system fitted? i get 4-5 ks\ltr around town,7 on highway,and dont granny foot it.lpg is different from 1 brand to next,the best i found is bp----get a discount card,mobil and then what ever. is the pod oil soaked,check timing and has the mont a auto box--has it been serviced? before mine died, 2nd- it chewed gas,after rebuild its good.are you city driving?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

It is an OMVL with a R90e. Just city driving so far. The pod is not oil soaked. The car is running straight gas. Does the timing need to be advanced or is it best left as it was for petrol? The auto has not been serviced.

I have driven over 1000kms now and the economy is still bad.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

benzine wrote:
It is an OMVL with a R90e. Just city driving so far. The pod is not oil soaked. The car is running straight gas. Does the timing need to be advanced or is it best left as it was for petrol? The auto has not been serviced.

I have driven over 1000kms now and the economy is still bad.
service the box,decide what will be the main fuel used and set timing to suit.to much variation in timing,with distributer,if it had twin computers-no problem

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

The car is dedicated lpg - no petrol tank.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:40 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

is the lpg setup computer controlled ? might be time for a new oxygen sensor.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

briney wrote:
is the lpg setup computer controlled ? might be time for a new oxygen sensor.
find out more about your setup,i think they slapped a lpg ring in front of the throttle body and played with the timing.the computer is set for petrol---spark maps and advance,timing.see the installer and find out. in my vn comm. i have 2 computers,v8 ef 1 computer and distributer,same as yours and set timing to gas.what i am after is a chip to run lpg spark maps when i run lpg and switch back to petrol,and a stepper motor to change timing on the distributor,when changing fuels. i am in the process of changing the top,heads -intake,cam.cam will be lpg origin and run 10.5\1 compression.my other 3 run the same specs,but have different lay outs.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

I had thought about the oxygen sensor-the car used a lot of fuel on petrol as well. Is it possible for the car to still start, idle & run great (except for the poor economy) with a crook oxy sensor? Also, no error codes come up with a diagnostic. The gas fitters told me that the ecu still control the electronics. They also said that I should leave the timing as for petrol. I used different spark plugs with a narrower gap.

The trouble I had with the limp mode was fixed by jiggling the ecu for the transmission which is located under the dash behind the diagnostic port. A local mob - AutoCo in Phillip, Canberra stuffed around with the car for about 5 hours - put the diagnostic machine on, tested this that & the other, scratched their heads for a bit and then jiggled the ecu. After all that they still only charged me their minimum amount - $95!!! I was most impressed and will be returning to them again if I can't work out the fuel problem on my own - with the forums help of course!

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

If the car was using lots of petrol before hand it sounds like a base engine problem. Check your base timing...should be 30deg. Does the car go well otherwise or is it doughy? Even with a crook O2 sensor a car can still run well and it's likely it would have shown up on the self test anyway.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

benzine wrote:
I had thought about the oxygen sensor-the car used a lot of fuel on petrol as well. Is it possible for the car to still start, idle & run great (except for the poor economy) with a crook oxy sensor? Also, no error codes come up with a diagnostic. The gas fitters told me that the ecu still control the electronics. They also said that I should leave the timing as for petrol. I used different spark plugs with a narrower gap.

The trouble I had with the limp mode was fixed by jiggling the ecu for the transmission which is located under the dash behind the diagnostic port. A local mob - AutoCo in Phillip, Canberra stuffed around with the car for about 5 hours - put the diagnostic machine on, tested this that & the other, scratched their heads for a bit and then jiggled the ecu. After all that they still only charged me their minimum amount - $95!!! I was most impressed and will be returning to them again if I can't work out the fuel problem on my own - with the forums help of course!
i do the same with plugs,but play with timing--petrol cam,lpg uses less adv.and base timing is higher.186 holden 6cyl went from 6deg to 14 deg. so you can find a sweet spot,change the oxy sensors---2 i think on v8s-not sure.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:25 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

the car will run fine, just a bit rich with a rooted oxy sensor. also, it rarely shows up in the fault codes. it needs to be gotten hot, and tested.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Thanks for all the help. My brother has an hsv VL & he reckons my car is a bit doughy. Since I have been driving a 6 cyl ZL fairlane on gas for so long the V8 does not seem doughy to me at all!!!!

What is recommended for dedicated gas on the V8 for timing & plug gap?

What does the O2 sensor do when running on gas? (& petrol for that matter)

Thanks again

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

i would expect it to use at least 20L/100 in the city...u will never get better than this

your approximated 25-30L/100 cant really be used as an accurate indicator as youve only done 500km and i have no idea how you measured it...the only accurate way would be to go by the guage on the tank

if still not happy after accurately checking it then get the car tested on chassis dyno - idle and part throttle mixtures

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:18 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

if you have a feedback gas setup, ( likely,given the age of the car. ) the gas computer watches the oxygen sensor and leans/richens the mixture accordingly. when the sensor dies,it tells the setup the engine is running lean. the computer keeps richening the mixture.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
i would expect it to use at least 20L/100 in the city...u will never get better than this

your approximated 25-30L/100 cant really be used as an accurate indicator as youve only done 500km and i have no idea how you measured it...the only accurate way would be to go by the guage on the tank

if still not happy after accurately checking it then get the car tested on chassis dyno - idle and part throttle mixtures

EF Ghia 5.0- stock apart from exhaust- 68 l's LPG 430km's, and thats with a couple a flattenings!! mostly highway tho..

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next