V8 project 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: V8 project
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Hey,just wondering if anyone knows who makes up engine mount plates and maybe a gearbox crossmember.I have a 1985 2wd ford courier i want to put a 5L windsor in it or maybe a clevo but im leaning towards a windsor cause they are lighter and quicker reving.Also will be puting a auto behind it probably just a C4 or C10.My main reason for doing this project is that i wanted to build something alittle different (not a minitruck) i want to build a burnout/drag racing machine but build it up propperly and maybe oneday i might engineer it and get it registered for street use.So if anyone knows who has a mazda or courier with a V8 in it or someone who makes up the conversion plates please let me know.cheers

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Ozrunner has put a windsor in his Forerunner (hilux).

Wouldnt be too hard as you do see old hiluxs with v8 conversions.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the help guys.I used to have a 1985 2wd hilux with a 308 in it.It is not a simialr conversion.The engine mount plate are quiet different compared to the hilux.Also the cross member is located in a different area.I just didnt want to solid mount the engine and go cutting and welding everywhere.I wanted to get a best fit with proper mounting plates so it can be legally registered once engineered.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey guys just wanted to know did any XE falcon sedans come out with leaf spring rear ends???

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Nope - all XE Sedans are Spring. You might see an "XF" with leafs - but they are XD's normally to put an 8 in.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Is there much work to put a leaf spring rear end in a XE sedan?

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Another question with an early model 302 windsor carbi motor can you get a fuel injected setup off a later 302 efi and bolt the efi setup to the carbi windsor motor ?

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Im not sure about the EFI question - I believe its possible but I do think its much easier to buy a complete 302 injected.

As for the XE - Im not sure why youd want to convert it to Leaf spring. You cant do it - Ford changed the Chassis for the XE to move the spare wheel to the side - the chassis rails dont go that far back.

you *can* bolt the XE Bonnet, Lights, Guards, and Rear lights into an XD though and you will get the effect your after.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

you can retrofit the efi gear, but be warned a early 302 has a different firing order to the later model 302..

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Im not sure about the EFI question - I believe its possible but I do think its much easier to buy a complete 302 injected.

As for the XE - Im not sure why youd want to convert it to Leaf spring. You cant do it - Ford changed the Chassis for the XE to move the spare wheel to the side - the chassis rails dont go that far back.

you *can* bolt the XE Bonnet, Lights, Guards, and Rear lights into an XD though and you will get the effect your after.

One of my mates unstitched and restitched with a bit of mods an XF rear end into an XD, so reverse is possible, but why would you do it and what engineer is going to pass it.

Hardest part of converting an XD to look like an XE is drilling the rear panel to fit the tail lights and numberplate panel, it isn't hard, everything else is just bolt over.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The thing is i have got an XE falcon done up like a an ESP red on black with the ESP headligts bonnet and bumper the thing looks great but im only getting the rolling shell no motor or box.But i was told it had a leaf rear end but i will have to have a good look at it.
Can you put a carbi windsor into it and have it engineered then leagally register it??Windsors in the carbi version didnt come out in the falcons in that era except for the F series but im sure they were efi.I can get my hands onto a 302 windsor carbi version for nothing.
Can it the efi conversion work on the earlier 302 or does the firing order acfect it and what has to be done to fix this??Do you change the dizzy setup?

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The firing order change will affect which lead goes where from the dizzy - thats all.

As for the XE - if it has Leafs, then its an XD with the XE Gear.

They still go and look great, but if you want the best handling make sure that when/if you lower the car you dont use lowering blocks, rather go and pay for a new set of springs. You'll get heavier duty, no squeaks, and the handling will be so different.

If it has coils (you hope) then its an XE. Noice.

As for the engine : There have been a few engines/gearboxes on Ebay. You could look at an AU Series II which had from 200 to 220 kw with a gearbox and ecu etc. Would make an incredible cruiser and efficient to run (as efficient as an 8 gets). You could get LPG on it then for around $900 on top. I made the conversion money back in just 8 months.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:24 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

have figured out that the carbi to efi conversion all your have to do is chage the injector plugs around and also lengthen or shortened appropriate harness's.will get photos of the xe and put them up.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]