Fordmods Logo

What does my computer tell ford about me and my driving? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: What does my computer tell ford about me and my driving?
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Just curious, when you go to Ford to get warranty work done, what can they pull out of the comp (au's mainly) in the event they dont want to pay up re: the driving styles used etc?

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

can't get s**t all. it only stores fault codes.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

In the E series and AUs I am pretty sure they cant tell s**t, no logging other than fault codes.

However in the BA I am pretty sure there is a data logger. I say that because Ford voided a warranty of a BA GT owner I know. They told him how many times he hit the rev limiter, maximum speed he had travelled etc.

He denied it to them, but he knew they were right.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Agreed. The BA can reportedly tell Ford that an edit has been used as well - also a warranty breaker I believe.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Isn't that a bit rich? I mean you can say that you've been to the Northern Territory where they have highways with no limits and whether you hit the rev limiter or not is irrelevant isn't it?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

If a tacho indicates safe reves to "redline" as indicated and the engine is factory rev limited and according to their own publicity documents this is to protect the engine from damage, then how the hell can they knock you back otherwise lower the rev limt to what is safe or are FPV scared of being laughed out of town by HSV.
Bad news boys your already walking down that road with the P**s poor service given by the dealers after purchase.
Just one mans opinion, please don't be offended.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

They can not knock back warranties if the max revs is equal to or below the EECs rev limiter, but even with the rev limiter you can still over-rev, mainly on downshifts which causes massive valve train problems. The logging is there to protect Ford, and the decision to void warranty would be made using a number of factors, not purely on max rev obtained.

paulhowes wrote:
Bad news boys your already walking down that road with the P**s poor service given by the dealers after purchase.
Just one mans opinion, please don't be offended.

As for piss-poor aftersales service, you obviously haven't dealt with holden recently, I still think ford is better in that regard but they seem to be getting worse.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

ford can check it out but if uve only ever reached maximum revs they cant do s**t... unless its consitant all the time and than its abuse or something i guess... but on E series and AU's its not possible.. im not even sure its possible in a BA

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A good friend of mine works at the hume plant and reguarly gets to take BA's of all kinds home, and they get warned about the data loggers. Ive heard that there have been atleast 2 sackings from that plant because of extreme abuse of their cars discovered because of the datalogger. If they are a standard equiptment or not Ive got no idea, but they do have the ability

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Well all of this datatlogger stuff is all fair and well for Ford, but unless i'm mistaken, apart from hitting the limiter in a BA and remembering exactly where it is all the time. It seems like s**t that they could void a warranty because of speed (it shouldn't matter) but there is no redline on the stupid tacho's in the BA's anyway. Sounds lately like Ford are making up more and more excuses for s**t that goes wrong. Not Good at all!!!

But hey, thats just my opinion.

Dave

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

i would have thought that ford and holden would have been using this idea already. i know that the american diesel companys such as cat and cummins have been using this sort of tech for at least 10 years.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xdv8 wrote:
i would have thought that ford and holden would have been using this idea already. i know that the american diesel companys such as cat and cummins have been using this sort of tech for at least 10 years.

Add Detroit to the list too, and you will probably find out it is greater than 10yrs for all of them.

The only reason large diesel producing companies bothered is because it sells engines, as those companies produce engines not heavy vehicles, they need to show companies why their engine/electronics are better than the opposition, as the customers want data logging to find out who is a good driver or not, different driving styles can save or loose big money for the heavy vehicle owner. This data logging is often sent back to base without even touching the vehicle.

As for light vehicles being slow getting data logging, there was no point to the extra cost and hassles related to it, in most cases there is still no point other than to play big brother, driving styles do not have the impact on economy as bad as it does in heavy vehicles.

Saying this I am currently researching GPS real-time tracking for a small taxi company (company owns all vehicles, including utes and trucks) that would also like vehicle data logging sent back to base, this may save the company big $$ if they can retrain or remove the bad drivers etc

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU-XR8

NSW, Australia

Do they put 2 and 2 together to discover the ABS light falut often = burnouts?
Is there a way to disable this so the ABS fault isnt detected during a burnout??

She'd be a lot more modded if I didn't have to keep wasting cash on repairs.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

ebbes wrote:
Do they put 2 and 2 together to discover the ABS light falut often = burnouts?
Is there a way to disable this so the ABS fault isnt detected during a burnout??

No and yes :lol:

Nah, i think its pretty rich if they try and accuse you of doing burnouts due to an ABS fault. The ABS codes are more along the lines of 'this sensor doesnt work' or 'my ECU is shagged, replace me'.

Yeah if you wanna do burnouts without ABS knowing about it, just pull the ABS fuse.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

regardless of how hard you thrash the car they can't void the warranty because you are driving within the designed limits of the vehicle.
so in this case, the rev limiter and speed limiter are actually working to your advantage by not allowing you to exceed factory specs.
if they try and get out of the warranty work, jump up and down, scream, yell, threaten to go to ford head office in melbourne, basically do whatever it takes cos you're in the right.
they don't have gps so they can't prove you didn't go to NT which means the excessive speed claims are void.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next