Fordmods Logo

what is this and whats the best way to fix it? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: what is this and whats the best way to fix it?
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

sorry for the vauge description that i am about to give but the girlfriend has taken my digital camera away with her. I have an NC fairlane with a stock 5.0

while working on it the other day i noticed a pin hole in one of the hoses up the back of the engine. this hose is connected to the spacer between the throttle body and the upper manifold section. the spacer is about 1 inch thick and has something that looks like a valve of some sort on the front side of it.

my first question is what is this thing?

on the back it has two hoses, i think they are coolant hoses. the top one broke as soon as i touched it, there seems to be a fitting inside the spacer which the hose clamps over. this fitting was corroded and snapped of flush with the spacer.

i want tp know if its possible to drill that fitting out and seal a new one in there or if i just need one from the wreckers to replace it?

i also noticed that the au manifolds dont seem to have this part on them, the valve looking thing that is. i want to put an explorer manifold on eventually, do i need these coolant hoses or can i bypass them?

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

IS a TB heater, can be bypassed, by joining the 2 hoses, or following them to their original mounts and just running 1 hose between the 2. The spacer you refer to is the EGR mount, dont delete as it assists in cruise economy
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thats the EGR plate. The hoses at the back are coolant hoses and you can repair the fitting but you'll likeley have to remove the throttle body and the EGR plate. You could also just remove the other hose and use a joiner between them to bypass the EGR and T/B.

If you want to put an Explorer manifold on you can just use your current EGR plate. But if you are upgrading the T/B to a 65mm+ unit then you should get a machine shop to bore out your EGR plate to suit as the AU's had a plate between the t/b and manifold but it has no holes for the EGR system.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

ok thanks guys, so it will function correctly if i leave it there but without the hoses?

what is the purpose of heating the spacer? that seems counter productive?

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

heatiing the spacer is for emissions reasons.. it will function fine without the coolant.. you just have to make sure you link the hoses back into each other.

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:46 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

The coolant hoses are for COOLING the EGR spacer which has hot exhaust gases entering through it. If you bypass the spacer it will get very hot which is not good for either performance via heat soak into the intake and could cause damage to the t-body over time. Best put em back on.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont Ghia 5 litre

NSW, Australia

sounds like ur having a little problme like i had but lucky mine wasnt as bad as that
ive learnt quite alot about the cooling system on the 5.0l's
basically as stated jsut cools it down but can also be bypassed as i was going to do but ended up fixing it properly

good 2 see another fairlane :P
well hear u got 1 anyway :lol:

i miss mine

anyways good luck with it mate
if u need any more help just ask any of the v8 boys here or the v8 outlaw hehe aka me

Drifty

THE V8 OUTLAW

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
The coolant hoses are for COOLING the EGR spacer which has hot exhaust gases entering through it. If you bypass the spacer it will get very hot which is not good for either performance via heat soak into the intake and could cause damage to the t-body over time. Best put em back on.

How does the egr valve put exhaust gas back through the egr spacer?

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:

come to think about it thats true pete... good thing i blocked the exhaust pasage on mine aswell:) (well back before the current setup anyhow)

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

What exhaust passage and where?

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Its in the heads i believe its called a thermactor??, it sends the hot gases in back thru the manifold to help with emissions and economy during cruise.
Coolant is also run in inlet to keep it cool due to hot exhaust gases heating inlet up.
Trust me fix it coz your engine bay will be cooler and im guessing you wont lose power coz it stays cooler??.

Last edited by WARMACHINE on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I made up a steel plate to block the egr holes, but ended up putting the egr back on because the motor ran better with the egr and had better fuel economy than when it was run with a blanking plate.
Now im hearing this im having a rethink on fixing the coolant pipes on the egr spacer(both corroded and snapped)

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Its in the heads i believe its called a thermactor??, it sends the hot gases in back thru the manifold to help with emissions and economy during cruise.
Coolant is also run in inlet to keep it cool due to hot exhaust gases heating inlet up.
Trust me fix it coz your engine bay will be cooler and im guessing you wont lose power coz it stays cooler??.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Actually the Thermactor system is separate. These are small holes in the top of each exhaust port. There's a hole(manifold) that runs the length of the heads that feed into these little holes. Thermactor emissions controls are not required in Oz hence the holes at the ends of the heads are blocked up with threaded inserts that take the bolts for the front accessory brackets and nothing at the back of the engine.
On a U.S. engine there are pipes that feed these holes at the back of the engine. These are supplied air via the pump thats mounted where our bottom idler pulley resides. The EEC controls diverter valves that either dump air to atmosphere or into the heads via these holes.
Thermactor emissions are bascially a way to continue combustion in the exhaust further reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

I see, so how does egr work?.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next