Fordmods Logo

What mods can be done on EL 5.0L? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: What mods can be done on EL 5.0L?
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I own a BA XR8 and my missus don't touch that cos it is a manual... hehe but now she wants a v8 so ripped offf thinking that I getting a manual XR8 and the missus who can't drive it cos she only has auto licence was the answer.. But now I had to purchase her own personal V8 auto which I had to pay for...
So I found a nice EL falcon 5.0L from our friends at ford. Only done 135,000 klms and has stripes like mine and same rims as mine. She changed the exhaust to a twin 21/2 inch and the note on it sounds bloody awesome.
Any other quik mods I can do for the EL?? Anyone give me some ideas. Pleez :cry: [/b]

Attachments:
File comment: My wifes newww personal 5 Litre.. God Dammit!!
Photos 5-8-06 033 (Small).jpg
Photos 5-8-06 033 (Small).jpg [ 70.44 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Welcome to the site!!!!

Mate there are plenty you can do with the 5.0L falcons... just depends how much you wanna spend.

you can get a snorkel, AU XR, but prob wont do a great deal. $50

You can get a shift kit, makes the shift changes in the auto's quite quick. $50

Maybe some pacemaker headers. $600 or so

then you can go crazy with the engine, manifold (your current manifold is very restrictive), Heads (also very restrictive), larger T/B, Cam, underdrive pulleys, But these are getting a bit on the exspensive side i would say if it is only for the missus. But the list could go on and on.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hey mate

Nice looking car - sounds like the Mrs has good taste in cars.

Well a cool, simple mod for an EL auto is the electronic shift kit. There's plenty of threads about them kicking around. Basically a simple electronic circuit (build it youself) that makes the auto box change gears really quick and really firm.

Engine mods are unlimited for these engines. Exhaust is a good start. Did you get extractors? The standard exhaust manifold is terribly restrictive.

The performance robbing aspects of these engines are primarily the heads and intake manifold. Heads can be expensive and tricky to change, but a good intake manifold can be found for around $600 and will give you lots more breath up in the higher RPM.

Got anything in mind? Or an idea of what you want to spend?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

as a few people have asked already, did you get extractors with the exhuast?, if she wants a bit more go then extractors is one of the 1st things needed on those cars, even some cheap tri y's from walker, pacemaker, genie, HM, etc will help alot over your originals.
your exhuast may have given you a little more power but headers/extractors need to be fitted to your exhuast will only be as good as your weakest part in it, so if your got stock extractors, not going to do you much good, i see you got a 2.5 inch system they are good till about 160-170 RWKW on those engines so you won't need to change that if you don't want to go over that, But im guessing you have a stock Cat on that exhuast aswellif you want to get a every little bit out of your exhuast then you could get a hi flo cat (about $300 for a good you), OR!, go get a stock cat out of a AU they are better flowing cats, and should last you unless you get a supercharger or NOS or something if shes that keen for speed :D

but on other mods those engines as a few people have said here thier main down fall is heads, intake manifold, TB and MAF.....let me shorten that....all intake system, lol.
how to fix this i hear you ask?.......ok maybe i didn't hear you but i try to fortell everything :P

Heads: you can go grab some GT40's or GT40P's (price GT40's maybe $800-1000, GT40P's $1000-1500, just an estimate, havn't looked into prices of these for a while)

Intake Mainfold upper and lower: An Explorer intake manifold off an AU/EL series 2 XR8 is fine flows alot better then your factory one, and if you do need more flow out of it you can go and get it proted and worked on, but an explorer intake is probley the best bang for your buck intake manifold for these engines out there IMO, and thats why i have one on my car.(pricing about $600)

MAF/Injectors: you could find a larger one from a AU XR8 220 from wreakers or something, not to sure how much they will charge, or you could go aftermarket 70mm as that is all you'll most likly need, but you'll need to reclabrate your sensors for your injectors when MAF is put on so it can detect the right about of air going in and put more fuel to suit, may be a good time to get bigger injectors to save you money in the long run if you want to get them later(i'd say go it least 24 lb like on AU's, call a few wreakers find out best price)(aftermarket non polished is about $300-350 depends where you go)

Snorkel: you could probley go to wreakers again get a EL tickford snorkel (about $20) give you a little extra airflow depends how much mods you have at the time.

Air filter: to go with the Snorkel you'll also need at least a cotten K&N/BMC panel filter to go in your airbox your engine will be able to suck a little easyier with it and give your mods a little more to work with.

Take stuff above is the main things you want to look into, but if you want to go a little more then read on.

Throttle Body:could go one from wreakers again thats a little bigger 65mm is a good size, or go aftermarket (about $300-400)

Underdrive pulleys: you can get some underdrive pulleys from BPT one of our sponsers from memory(i also have BPT Street pulley set) or have 2 to choose Street or Race but i would say get go for then street comes with a Cranksharft pulley and a belt, ment to give you about 7 RWKW, mine gave me 5 RWKW and a bit more torque, but that could have been due to different dyno's and weather conditions on the dyno.(about $200 or so)

Roller Rockers: for what you'd want all's you would need is yella terra Street rockers (from memory last time i checked about $400)

Cam/Lifters: you could go get a cam from a AU XR8 220 or something but i would rather go get a Cam from wade cams or Crane or something like that at least that way you'll get more power if you go a bigger cam not just a baby cam from a XR8 in comparison and you'll also need some new lifters, could use the same ones, but not recommended.

ECU/Chip: If you start doing cam heads, roller rockers etc you really need a ECU or a chip common one's to use, WOLF 3D/ UNIchip etc, me personally i'd go Wolf 3d lately i've thinking about a chiptorque, but im going to do the pros and cons and choose leaning towards a Wolf 3D Plus V4 (chip you'll be looking at about $1200 installed depends where you go a wolf 3d on it's own without install about $1100 depends where you go again)

There's also alot more i could be here all day fuel pump, pressure reg, valves, valve springs, if you wanna go really far 347 Stroker, supercharger/ twin turbo, NOS etc etc it's a never ending story, if you want any more advise let me know, but my guess is you don't wanna go to far with the wifes cars, lol

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Almost the makings of a sticky there storm :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

indeed.... very nice.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

And then there is the Coast High Performance 427 injected VENOM, or the World Products 427, or even a 351W from a late model Ftruck. Depends on budget i spose.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Almost the makings of a sticky there storm :)

lol, yeah i know i was thinking that as i was writing it

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
And then there is the Coast High Performance 427 injected VENOM, or the World Products 427, or even a 351W from a late model Ftruck. Depends on budget i spose.
Brett

this is for his wife/partner brett, lol

im thinking about buying a 351w block and stroking it out tho...........would be very nice!

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Storm wrote:
may be a good time to get bigger injectors to save you money in the long run if you want to get them later(i'd say go it least 24 lb like on AU's, call a few wreakers find out best price)(aftermarket non polished is about $300-350 depends where you go)

Be careful that you don't end up with AU injectors cause they are an EV6 style plug whereas E series are EV1 style. Don't be fooled by 24lb Magna blue top injectors or Bosch 766 blue tops cause they flow that at higher fuel pressures, only run around 21lb at ford's fuel pressure......the ones to go for are 24lb Ford Motorsport Injectors (FMS) ones as their flow rates are rated at fords fuel pressures.

Storm wrote:
Underdrive pulleys: you can get some underdrive pulleys from BPT one of our sponsers from memory(i also have BPT Street pulley set) or have 2 to choose Street or Race but i would say get go for then street comes with a Cranksharft pulley and a belt, ment to give you about 7 RWKW, mine gave me 5 RWKW and a bit more torque, but that could have been due to different dyno's and weather conditions on the dyno.(about $200 or so)

BPT race series are $280 and doesn't require a different lengthed belt, stock belt is used, quoted 7 - 11 rwkw

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
Be careful that you don't end up with AU injectors cause they are an EV6 style plug whereas E series are EV1 style.

There really isn't such a thing as EV1 plug and EV6 plug. Both EV1 and EV6 injectors come with the more common Jetronic and USCAR connector types, as well as some non-standard manufacturer specific connector types.

EV1 injectors are pintle type with a fat body.

EV6 injectors are newer orifice style with a thin "pencil" type body.

Injector plugs should be pretty cheap and easy to source from an auto electrician. If you can find 24lb EV6 injectors from an AU for a good price (like the ones on eBay at the moment for $150), then they would be a very good option IMO.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
offyaguts wrote:
Be careful that you don't end up with AU injectors cause they are an EV6 style plug whereas E series are EV1 style.

There really isn't such a thing as EV1 plug and EV6 plug. Both EV1 and EV6 injectors come with the more common Jetronic and USCAR connector types, as well as some non-standard manufacturer specific connector types.

EV1 injectors are pintle type with a fat body.

EV6 injectors are newer orifice style with a thin "pencil" type body.

Injector plugs should be pretty cheap and easy to source from an auto electrician. If you can find 24lb EV6 injectors from an AU for a good price (like the ones on eBay at the moment for $150), then they would be a very good option IMO.

Thanks for that......wasn't dabbling into specifics obviously but merely pointing out that they aren't a straight swap :wink:

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: E series V8

New Zealand

hey Storm, be keen to see what ya reckon I should do next to my ride, looking at changing the snorkel then was going to get an ECU fitted & tuned up, not sure what to do from there...

Attachments:
IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG [ 71.11 KiB | Viewed 214 times ]

EA Fairmont with 94' EB XR8 engine & running gear. Lowered on 17" rims with 255's all round, tints, GT stlye front spoiler, clear indicators & rear lights. Headers & 3" Rage exhaust system.
K&N filter,Colour coded "charcoal" paint job. Big sounds. Work in progress...

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

crazy-88, damn man that thing is hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]