Whats involved in 351 conversion for an EF 4ltr 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Whats involved in 351 conversion for an EF 4ltr
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Just wondering on the major costing components...

How hard this conversion is if its possible etc im guessing it is with the below images altho this to an EL XR8 not a 6cylinder....

For now this is just a heads up as I plan to do this sometime in the near future if its going to be practical...the main concerns for me was Engine management , I would think im going to have to go aftermarket again, trans modifications what needs to happen in this way... etc.

Its something I really wanna do and have planned to for ages.....and if not 351 then 302 or combo 302W bottom end with Clevo heads etc

Cause if the costs outway immensely then im just gonna replace my exhaust, get some nice headers, a lil head work, stalli and an R6/R4 RPD cam

Cheers
Kev

Attachments:
BryansELxr8v3_JarvisBay.jpg
BryansELxr8v3_JarvisBay.jpg [ 61.38 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]
BryansELxr8v3_FR2.jpg
BryansELxr8v3_FR2.jpg [ 50.51 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Last edited by Big Kev on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Also if it all is easily do able...stroking etc option is it better to look at this from day dot and say go a 302 stroked to 347 straight off the bat and begin to mod along that path or get it done later.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

im guessing u talkin bout 351w and not 351c

hell i just modded my 302 shortblock out with some bits and it goes alrite now.. personally id stick with the 302w block(stroke it tho) coz its lighter. and do alloy heads coz they lighter. makes a difference in handling.

engine management is not a problem if u stick with the EL ecu and run a tweecer/capa-edit. the ford eec system is very underrated.

i hope u keep the xr8 and bring it over here! we want more hot xrs

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
im guessing u talkin bout 351w and not 351c

hell i just modded my 302 shortblock out with some bits and it goes alrite now.. personally id stick with the 302w block(stroke it tho) coz its lighter. and do alloy heads coz they lighter. makes a difference in handling.

engine management is not a problem if u stick with the EL ecu and run a tweecer/capa-edit. the ford eec system is very underrated.

i hope u keep the xr8 and bring it over here! we want more hot xrs

Unfortunently mate as much as I wish I could keep her and run to coons sadly I cant so even if i do finally get to perth I have to sell the XR8.....but I still wanna have a v8 so at some point I wanna convert mine....and either 302 or 351....id love a 351 in there with a full shaker setup be awesome...and both windsor/clevelands had their pros and cons...

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Why don't you sell the other one and keep the XR8?
Seems silly selling off a v8, then converting your 6 to a v8.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

It's a piece-o-piss cleveland or windsor. Do a search, this has been discussed many a time on here and there's a few pointers in my 351w into XE article above. Plus were in process of installing the 351 that was in my ute into an EB. A 351 based engine is the way to go...far more durable for starters plus you can turn em into a 392ci engine for less than the cost of a 347 kit.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
It's a piece-o-piss cleveland or windsor. Do a search, this has been discussed many a time on here and there's a few pointers in my 351w into XE article above. Plus were in process of installing the 351 that was in my ute into an EB. A 351 based engine is the way to go...far more durable for starters plus you can turn em into a 392ci engine for less than the cost of a 347 kit.

Cheers,
Pete.

Thanks Pete was hoping youd post ... how much are u looking at for the 392Kit sounds wicked :P

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

voxace wrote:
Why don't you sell the other one and keep the XR8?
Seems silly selling off a v8, then converting your 6 to a v8.

Cant unforunently the 6 ive spent too much on and theres now some new additions that are welded in and cant transfer :( ... plus all the audio gear is too big a headache to transfer...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]