Whats this manifold off? (V8) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

AUGhiaV8 - you've done a good job if its the same manifold, awesome finish without the 'bling' look to it. Am looking in to costs of phenolic spacer.

slimau2 - inlet hole measures 69mm

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Personally I don't like the look of smooth polished bits and pieces myself... too 'rice' for me, however a moderate sparkle to a genuine look is more my taste which is why I kept the cast look and added a little shine... 'tis pretty easy to do and didn't take as long as I expected. I have an Edelbrock Performer intake now and will respray with a cast alloy look paint. To be honest it was very hard to sell and if not for the Edelbrock blowing me away and the need to pay for mods away I'd have kept it.

Funnily enough, I had a 'monty' like yours a couple of years ago (even the same colour) which my better half wrote off in a head-on. This led to me buying 'AUdrey' so the doner manifold seems to have found a righteous home.

Check out the phenolic spacers at High Performance world - search for part numbers TFS51520017 to TFS51520020 from memory. My advice would be to stick with the 3/8" and avoid bonnet clearance issues.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, sorry to butt in. What chrome aftermarket rocker covers can you buy that will fit on? I looked at a few Ford Racing ones, but i dont know which ones would fit on these EB-EL V8's.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

All Windsor style chrome rocker covers will physially fit but if it doesnt specify for EFI use then they wont have the provision for the breather hose and the oil filler will e reversed (have to fill from the passenger bank). If you want to maintain a proper PCV system (which you should) then you can just use a push in oil cap which has a breather hose fitting. I just fitted some chrome rocker covers (see pic), cost around $70 for the covers and $15 for the push in cap wiht breather hose. I like the Ford Motorsport ones but they are just so damn expensive.

Attachments:
rockercover.JPG
rockercover.JPG [ 69.38 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

AUGhiaV8 - sounds like you had a great car, bit of bad luck with the mrs writing it off, hence why very rarely other people drive my car.

Grant where did you get those from, I have been looking at the ones on ebay but not sure what look I want. I have been told aluminium is the way to go.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

I used EFI truck Ford Racing rocker covers. That way the filler is on passenger side in front of TB.

Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr8

NT, Australia

Thanks for the measurement....i have an AU2 XR8,iv'e got an Edelbrock 70mm throttle body i was going to put on,i realise that the EGR spacer has to be milled out to 70mm.............but was told it would be a waste of time because the inlet on the manifold was only 65mm.....but as you said it's 69mm.........any advice or input would be appreciated...........cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'd say it will need to be milled out, depending on the rest of your setup. If it's stock, then I wouldn't think there would be many gains to be made going from the already 65mm throttle body to the 70mm throttle body.

I am going to be running a 65mm throttle body, which will be more restrictive than the inlet on the manifold, although I am told that the 65mm throttle body will flow more than enough air for 200rwkw+. Not sure what your power aims are, just as long as the spacer doesn't restrict airflow.

As for EGR, I am going to piss it off and if I run into pinging problems just back the timing off a couple of degrees.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

offyaguts wrote:
Grant where did you get those from, I have been looking at the ones on ebay but not sure what look I want. I have been told aluminium is the way to go.

I got mine form ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-Chrome-rock ... dZViewItem), the guy was good and took measurements of them before I purchased and shipping was quick. The quality of the covers seem really good and they fit quite nicely. I picked up the rubber gromets and breather cap from a local auto parts store.

slimau2 wrote:
but was told it would be a waste of time because the inlet on the manifold was only 65mm.....but as you said it's 69mm.........

The opening is usually 67-69mm but that suits 65mm TB's because they flare out a bit after the throttle blade. From memory a 70mm TB needs around a 73mm opening, easy to do with a die grander though. Personally I would just stick with a 65mm TB, they are big enough to support big power and give better throttle response compared with the 70's.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr8

NT, Australia

Cheers guys............will probebly just leave it as it is then

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
All Windsor style chrome rocker covers will physially fit but if it doesnt specify for EFI use then they wont have the provision for the breather hose and the oil filler will e reversed (have to fill from the passenger bank). If you want to maintain a proper PCV system (which you should) then you can just use a push in oil cap which has a breather hose fitting. I just fitted some chrome rocker covers (see pic), cost around $70 for the covers and $15 for the push in cap wiht breather hose. I like the Ford Motorsport ones but they are just so damn expensive.

Thanks heaps for that champ.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

EDXR8 wrote:

It took me a moment then to realise that your rocker covers were already on but they were just so damn clean and shiny and reflecting the rest of the engine bay that I didn't even see them.

Also, I have been checking eBay worldwide and Australia for some nice EFI covers in various forms but haven't nailed down any particular style yet. I'm keeping my eyes open...

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the link Grant....1 set of chrome rocker covers purchased!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2