Windsor 302 Engine modifications 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Windsor 302 Engine modifications
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia 5.0 V8

VIC, Australia

im thinking of getting more power out of my ef v8 5.0. what type of engine modification can i do and what would they cost.
also does anyone know of any places in melbourne where this type of work can be done.
i know of mick webbs and flowcraft, anymore would be a help thanks.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

how much do you want to spend?

Banned

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Mick Webb will be honest with you and do a good job.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
Mick Webb will be honest with you and do a good job.

Exactly, I found Mick Webb excellent even if you are just after info, his prices are also quite reasonable for his reputation.

As for the mods, it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what power you want. If you only want to spend $1-2k, then it is exhaust extractors, roller rockers, thermos & CAI but you will only be looking at 200fwkw max. Any more power requires a change of heads and intake which are fairly expensive, you can still keep the costs down by using AU GT40P heads and explorer intake which do flow fairly well, then a nice cam etc will get you to around 240-260fwkw.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

So far I have Pacemaker headers (PH4000) and PowerCat Cats. That was $1200 fitted.

On the list: (prices are parts only and estimates)
Edel. Alloy heads: $1800 (with valves and springs) (or AFR but too exp.)
YT roller rockers: $600
Prof. Products intake: $700 (similar to Edel. RPM)
Prof. Products 70mm TB: $400
Pro-M MAF and 24# injectors: $1000 (if you know the right people)
Cold Air & K&N filter: $200 (maybe even a shaker $???)
3" single system exhaust (too low for twin): $300
Cam: $???

Probably have to add a Unichip at some stage to improve drivability: $1500 or so with dyno time.

After all that I think my auto will give up so next on the list is a Tremec 6 speed.

Expensive but can be done is stages. Have a look at XR8Chics webpage. It is a good guide to what you should buy and what to expect from it. I am hoping for 200rwkw

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Sprint/Fairmont

VIC, Australia

best place i could think of would be to start with cam and exhaust - if you really want to make a difference

depends what you're driving.

I started out with that and then modified the heads and manifold and throttle body. Now my cam isn't big enough.

If you're running an ED or above, most i think you can go without having to re-map you ECU is about 220Kw AU series 3 equivilent. Better if you do it anyway, but if you do you may as well get a larger cam.

I am looking for any reccomended cam grinds and brands that anyone can offer.

Currently running roller cam and lifters pushing 170rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dpb06 wrote:

What heads are you running? That would help in deciding on cam.

Cam change with stock heads won't get you great results. The stock cam is quite a good grind and matches the stock heads reasonably well.

Post subject: Windsor 302 Engine modifications
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My 5.0 has lukey extractors, factory cats, 2 1/2 single exhaust from cats back. 4 in cold air intake( hole cut in bottom of airbox and ducting to the front left spotlight mount), these mods cost 1200, but i did the fitting. Then i had it unichiped( 995 from C+V fitted and tuned). This returned 141rwkw's. I have also ordered RPM performerII intake maniforl, and a Pro-m Maf and 24lb injectors form Mr Laundau( need to contact him soon sorry shane). Have also fitted DBA gold's at Bendix ultimate pads for 250 per corner. These mods have so far transformed the car. Next is a 347 bottom end and AFR heads, as well as the edel RPM PerformerII Nos kit. with current mods has run a 15.2@94, when stock ran 16.4@87 at WSID. Will advise when MAF, Injectors and manifold is fitted as to the power/times

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Sprint/Fairmont

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
dpb06 wrote:

What heads are you running? That would help in deciding on cam.

Cam change with stock heads won't get you great results. The stock cam is quite a good grind and matches the stock heads reasonably well.

Running GT40 heads ported and matched - not sure why i can't get any more power... i can only put it down to the cam

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

That is getting close to the max you will get with those heads , with a decent can you can probably push it to around 190-200rwkw, aftermarket alloys may get you another 20rwkw but then you need to look at a stroker or forced induction if you want more power while keeping it streetable.

IMO look at a crane 2030 or a TFS1 cam, both have shown to give excellent power while reetaining a fairly nice idle and drivability.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
That is getting close to the max you will get with those heads , with a decent can you can probably push it to around 190-200rwkw, aftermarket alloys may get you another 20rwkw but then you need to look at a stroker or forced induction if you want more power while keeping it streetable.

IMO look at a crane 2030 or a TFS1 cam, both have shown to give excellent power while reetaining a fairly nice idle and drivability.

What sort of gains could dpb06 see with an aftermarket ECU? I realise the heads are reaching the end of their flow potential, but could the factory ECU be a slight bottle neck? Is there 10-15RWKW hidden away and fogotten? Not just peak power, but also power gains across the whole range, which aren't so impressive on the dyno, but could mean 0.2-0.3 on the 400m

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

You could see 5-15rwkw improvement with aftermarket computer or retune of the factory EEC, and obviously you will also pick up some mid range power too. But I do think the factory tune is quite good, fuele mapping is pretty good, timing is safe and could do with a bit more advance in most places especially with a new cam.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah. I would imagine there would be 5-10RWKW available on a stock engine. Assuming the ECU is happy with your choice of cam, injectors, maf, etc - you should get the same sort of gains on a worked engine, and possibly more if the ECU is not quite so happy about certain changes.

What sort of potential do the E7 heads have ? Is there any point doing much with them, or is it better to look at the GT40P and aftermarket.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Yeah. I would imagine there would be 5-10RWKW available on a stock engine. Assuming the ECU is happy with your choice of cam, injectors, maf, etc - you should get the same sort of gains on a worked engine, and possibly more if the ECU is not quite so happy about certain changes.

I think that's a reasonable comment and probably holds true for most EFI cars. I guess it wasnt in ford's best interest to squeeze the maximum out of the engine when it could detune slightly and replace fewer of them.

Personally i think tweecer would be ideal. EEC's a great ECU and the potential with a good editor would easily compare to an aftermarket job.

Quote:
What sort of potential do the E7 heads have ? Is there any point doing much with them, or is it better to look at the GT40P and aftermarket.

Ive known a couple of people port them out with OK gains. Barry_v here in SA did his own and i think ported out the HO manifold to suit. I doubt it would be worth spending much money on.

Im not sure what the inherent limitation is with the E7's - ports/valve size/combustion chambers etc. Perhaps someone could provide some insight for us?

It seems like just one restriction after the other with the HO engine - heads/manifolds/TB/MAF. Fuel consumption must be frightening once all this is replaced, lol.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Even fully ported (around $1000 worth of work) they will only flow the same as GT40P's so IMO it isn't worth putting any money into the E7's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next