Fordmods Logo

Windsor Dizzy on Clevo ??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Windsor Dizzy on Clevo ???
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fit a Windsor TFI dizzy to a black Cleveland ???

The black cleveland is in the XD/XE, ZJ,ZK vehicles. I have a ZJ 351C in my XB Coupe that I am fuel injecting. I also want the ECU to do ignition and the easiest way to do this is use a TFI dizzy. As far as I know TFI wasn't used till the Windsor.

If anyone has a TFI dizzy they are looking to get rid of I'd be interested.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I think I have found it guys. I need a 460 EFI dizzy or I can use a 351W EFI dizzy and change the drive gear to a cleveland.

Anyone suggest where I can buy either of these animals ????

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

But wait, there's more.

It looks like the 351W had the same size hole in the block as a blue cleveland. The 302HO windsor has a smaller hole, as does the black cleveland, so I might just be able to use a HO dizzy out of an E-Series Falcon.

If anyone has the dizzy out for any reason could you please measure the diameter where it sits in the block.

Talk about confused

Adrian

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:27 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Yes you need to change the gear on the 351w dizzy and if for a black block you need to grind the tip down to suit....This is what I did for my EFI Cleveland(I'll measure the actual diameter). The 460 dizzy only needs to have the tip ground if used in a black block.
Summit sell the Accel TFI 351w dizzy for about $240 U.S. You can also get a remote TFI type if you care to go that way.

Pete.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XD 351, FG Ute

NT, Australia

i had to change the drive gear on my dizzy to get it in my clevo

WINNER:
Best modified car 1980 - 1989 Shannons show and shine 2006
Best XD-XH Darwin All Ford Day 2011

There is no substitute for cubic inches :twisted:

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:44 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ok lads,

The 5.0L block has a smaller hole in the block where the distributor body sits in and it only has a 1/4" oil pump drive shaft hole therefore it cannot be used in anything but little windsors 289's,302's.
The 351w,351c and 460 all have the larger hole for the distributor body therefore any distributor from these engines can be interchanged with two exceptions;
1. the 351w distributor must have the drive gear changed to use it in Cleveland or 460 or vice versa.
2. Any of these distributors must have the pilot portion(the part below the drive gear) of the shaft precision ground smaller if used in a late XD/XE cleveland block.

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks Pete.

I'll take out my dizzy and measure the diameter, then machine down the new one to suit.

Now I need to get the 351W dizzy so I can start work.

Adrian

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:57 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

No wuckers Adrian,

As I say if you can't find a second handy anywhere the Accel is a good choice because a genuine one will cost about $800 and it won't even have a cap or a TFI module!?!?! If you get a 460 one it will most likely be the remote TFI type which is no biggie to hook up and of course the gear is already correct for a flat tappet 351c.
Here is the 351w one;

http://www.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails. ... Name=ACCEL

If you are using a steel or austemepered iron roller cam you can get the steel dizzy gear from Ford Racing M-12390-J.
Don't use an ally/bronze one...they last literally about two weeks!

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Pete, thats the perfect dizzy. On that site they also tell you the gear needed to fit it to a Cleveland.

So far so good, however there is still one question. Is the TFI a push start model or is it CCD ???? The grey case, if it was OE, measns push start and that would be perfect. Problem is after market I am not sure.

Adrian

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:49 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yep it's the one you need..it'll push start.

Pete.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:30 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

LOL, I love your sig there Pete!

EL2 XR8 Auto 13.64 @ 100.76 MPH with a 2.05 60ft. Now sold!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Thanks Trick flow,

The Silent Majority has to speak up now and again.

Pete.

Post subject: Re: Windsor Dizzy on Clevo ???
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

raiki wrote:
Does anyone know what needs to be done to fit a Windsor TFI dizzy to a black Cleveland ???

The black cleveland is in the XD/XE, ZJ,ZK vehicles. I have a ZJ 351C in my XB Coupe that I am fuel injecting. I also want the ECU to do ignition and the easiest way to do this is use a TFI dizzy. As far as I know TFI wasn't used till the Windsor.

If anyone has a TFI dizzy they are looking to get rid of I'd be interested.

I don't profess to know much about Ford V8's, but I am building up a late sixties 302 for my XP Coupe, so I have had to eek out some parts. The dizzy thing is a trap for novices, but I eventually found the right combo for my needs.

I ended up retrofitting the autolite dizzy with a motorcraft duraspark I setup, including the large cap:

It is a reluctor and pickup combo, which are very robust:

So to get to your query I have a TFI (Duraspark II) large cap type that has the small oil drive and long stem, but one of the teeth on the pinion gear is broken. It has a new GM806 rotor still in the box.

I also have a Duraspark I with the large oil pump drive and short stem. You would need to source a large cap, spacer and rotor if you wanted to go single coil HEI spark. The rotor you can get in Sydney and the rest on Ebay.

I'm guessing I won't need these so might consider selling.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Wally, this TFI dizzy you speak off ?? Is it hall effect pickup with the pressed steel rotor ??? Is the TFI module mounted on the dizzy or remotely ???

Will the long stem and small oil drive suit the black cleveland or a 351W?? If you can answer yes to most of these questions could you please post a couple of pics (one external and one inside the cap) so I can have a look??

How much would you be looking at recieving for this $$$$$.

Adrian

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The DurapsrkII has the TFI module on the side and has the chopper wheel:

This is it's namplate:

This is the large drive Duraspark I

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next