Post subject: Windsor oil leak!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi all
I have an oil leak in the windsor that I put in my Maverick and if I cant find it soon I am going to burn it!
I used a motor out of a NC Fairlane. To get it to fit I had to put a F150 4x4 sump on it. I have also changed over to a early spec timing cover so I could run a XY water pump. That is all I changed.
Now I have a leak coming from the drivers side of the motor , just in front of the engine mount bosses. The leak appears to be low. There is no sign of oil on the block running down ect. Run the truck in the driveway and there is no sign of a leak. Take it out on the road , load it up going up a hill or give it a hard bootful and it leaks that bad that smoke comes out from under the truck. When I get back a have a nice covering of oil over the engine mounts , alternator ect dripping on the ground.
I have thought it was the sump leaking. Have replaced the gasket 3 times and it always leaks in the same spot. I am at whits end with it.
Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or if it could be from elsewhere? I took it to one mechanic cause I am loosing the plot with it and he reckons it might be a rocker cover gasket. There are no signs of a leak up there.
Was there any difference between the EB blocks we used over here and the F150 blocks? I am wondering if I could of overlooked something when I put the F150 sump on.
At a fray here. ANy help is appreciated!
Matt

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Would it be worth steam cleaning the engine to get rid of all the existing oil stains then running the engine and watching where the oil is coming out from?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Would it be worth steam cleaning the engine to get rid of all the existing oil stains then running the engine and watching where the oil is coming out from?

Been there done that. When it is idling or being revved in the driveway the bastard wont leak. It seems only to leak when you load it up out on the road.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Then what about giving it some stick out on the road for just a brief moment then inspecting it?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

$10 its exactly what was wrong with mine a few weeks ago.
Check where the dipstick goes into the sump. THe o-ring probably hasnt sealed properly.
Mine was bellowing out smoke when i cornered or gave it a bootful.
When we put the sump back on, the dipstick hadn't been pusjed far enough into the sump, and because of that, the o-ring couldnt seal properly. So oil would spew out the side of the sump.
Easiest way is to undo the nut that threads onto the dipstick. Bit of a pain (you'll need a uni to get to it). Then lift it up and re-align it back into the sump.
If that is actually the problem! :?

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
$10 its exactly what was wrong with mine a few weeks ago.
Check where the dipstick goes into the sump. THe o-ring probably hasnt sealed properly.
Mine was bellowing out smoke when i cornered or gave it a bootful.
When we put the sump back on, the dipstick hadn't been pusjed far enough into the sump, and because of that, the o-ring couldnt seal properly. So oil would spew out the side of the sump.
Easiest way is to undo the nut that threads onto the dipstick. Bit of a pain (you'll need a uni to get to it). Then lift it up and re-align it back into the sump.
If that is actually the problem! :?

I wish it was that simple. The dipstick on mine goes thru the block on the passengers side as I am using a F150 rear bowl sump. The leak is on the drivers side :(

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Then what about giving it some stick out on the road for just a brief moment then inspecting it?

Yeah been trying that too mate. It either chooses not to leak or I am not quick enough getting to it before it is everywhere. I reckon it just likes upsetting me!
Im starting to thing the only way I will find it is if I can find an understanding dyno operator who will load it up on the rollers for me while I look under it to find it.

xr6turnip wrote:

Post subject: Re: Windsor oil leak!!!!!!
Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Hi all
I have an oil leak in the windsor that I put in my Maverick and if I cant find it soon I am going to burn it!
I used a motor out of a NC Fairlane. To get it to fit I had to put a F150 4x4 sump on it. I have also changed over to a early spec timing cover so I could run a XY water pump. That is all I changed.
Now I have a leak coming from the drivers side of the motor , just in front of the engine mount bosses. The leak appears to be low. There is no sign of oil on the block running down ect. Run the truck in the driveway and there is no sign of a leak. Take it out on the road , load it up going up a hill or give it a hard bootful and it leaks that bad that smoke comes out from under the truck. When I get back a have a nice covering of oil over the engine mounts , alternator ect dripping on the ground.
I have thought it was the sump leaking. Have replaced the gasket 3 times and it always leaks in the same spot. I am at whits end with it.
Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or if it could be from elsewhere? I took it to one mechanic cause I am loosing the plot with it and he reckons it might be a rocker cover gasket. There are no signs of a leak up there.
Was there any difference between the EB blocks we used over here and the F150 blocks? I am wondering if I could of overlooked something when I put the F150 sump on.
At a fray here. ANy help is appreciated!
Matt
you say alternator,is it mounted lh high as normal? all the bolts in the bracket and front cover,must be blowing back under high pressure,not at idle and up hills-how steep,engine mounts 1 or 2?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

didn't the dipstick go through the right side of the timing covers on the old timing covers? I cant 100% remember, if so did you plug that hole up?

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

jeffb wrote:
didn't the dipstick go through the right side of the timing covers on the old timing covers? I cant 100% remember, if so did you plug that hole up?

That is something I will be checking. I didnt plug anything up. It was a KC timing cover I bought. I dont remember seeing any holes in it. If someone can confirm if the dipstick did go through the timing cover on the front right it would be great.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

like this?

Attachments:
2eb3_12.jpg
2eb3_12.jpg [ 21.39 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Boo yeah!!!!! I just climbed under it and managed to put a piece of tie wire in through the hole you marked for about 75mm. Seems as though that either there was no plug in there to start with or it has popped out. Off with the alternator ect tomorrow to put a welch plug in it.
3 sump gasket kits , 15 litres of oil , numerous tubes of silastic , much agro and swearing for a 50c welch plug..................I am a d!ckhead!

Thanks JeffB much appreciated. I will report back once I have done it and checked that it has fixed it!

This is the second windsor I have owned. They were both post EB. All my early stuff was Clevo. Maybe I can clutch on to that as my excuse......................nah Im still a d!ckhead!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

It happens to us all at some stage...
haha
Well me anyway!

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well it is all fixed now. I wound up finding a bolt that was a nice tight fit , smeared it in ultra copper silicone and tapped it in with the drift.
Works perfect!

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Haha, good stuff mate, at least it was a simple fix!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next