Fordmods Logo

Wont start HELP!!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Wont start HELP!!!!!
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:14 pm 
Got a 5L ef with the usual smartlock - BEM problems. Last night car refused to start after tapping the dash for an hour. Replaced the BEM unit today with a used one from the wreckers ( tested and ok ). done the learning mode with the key turned on for 30 mins. went to crank and the motor still wont turn over. Fuel pump primes etc etc but it refuses to turn over? Any sugestions as to what it could be? Thanks in advance

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Blown fuse, fuseable link or relay.
Faulty ignition switch.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

SA, Australia

Mate the smart lock systems use an encoded key, had many play up when i worked on light vehicle. One common problem we found was a build up of oils from your hands blocked the signal from the key. The quickest way was to buff the key and try that. The other problem can be your transmission neutral start switch if an auto. Try starting in neutral instead of park. hope that helps mate

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:49 pm 
RedRoo wrote:
Blown fuse, fuseable link or relay.
Faulty ignition switch.

Had a quick check of all fuses and relays. Cleaned the ones under the bonnet but still no go. Thanks anyway mate. Is there any way to check ignition switches?

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 pm 
sazelxr8 wrote:
Mate the smart lock systems use an encoded key, had many play up when i worked on light vehicle. One common problem we found was a build up of oils from your hands blocked the signal from the key. The quickest way was to buff the key and try that. The other problem can be your transmission neutral start switch if an auto. Try starting in neutral instead of park. hope that helps mate

Thanks mate. Tried the key buffing, no go and tried the shifting into neutral/park but no go also. Pulling my hair out here. Thanks anway matey

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ignition switch,

Remove the shroud from the column, check the backing plate of the ignition barrel, The contact board is staked in, these can come loose and can do the symptoms your describing.

I'm sorry but the tibbe key doesn't even get near the electronics of the smartlock circuits.

Starter motor could be jammed, try tapping it with something heavy, a good old whack may free it and presto, but be carefull as you'll need to be under the car and hitting near where the power terminals are.

After a few taps, try the key.

Under the recovery bottle theres a starter relay, this could be cactus too.

also check fuses in the engine bay.

hope this helps

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8

NSW, Australia

try hitting the dash just above the lock/unlock doors button there is a solenoid of sorts there and they play up hope it works mate

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 am 
Krytox wrote:
Ignition switch,

Remove the shroud from the column, check the backing plate of the ignition barrel, The contact board is staked in, these can come loose and can do the symptoms your describing.

I'm sorry but the tibbe key doesn't even get near the electronics of the smartlock circuits.

Starter motor could be jammed, try tapping it with something heavy, a good old whack may free it and presto, but be carefull as you'll need to be under the car and hitting near where the power terminals are.

After a few taps, try the key.

Thanks for the tip mate. will try the ignition switch later on this morning and see how it goes.

Under the recovery bottle theres a starter relay, this could be cactus too.

also check fuses in the engine bay.

hope this helps

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 am 
xrsteve wrote:
try hitting the dash just above the lock/unlock doors button there is a solenoid of sorts there and they play up hope it works mate

Thanks mate. Will try this too. i will try any bloody thing before i douse it in petrol and set it alight lol

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

Check interior dome light - if blown.

Richie

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

sazelxr8 wrote:

AU's 10/99 above has encoded keys (smartsheild)but below dont. S1 AU's got smartlock (same as EBII-EL) til 10/99 when they got the updated smartsheild

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]