WTF its illigal to have after market manifold 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: WTF its illigal to have after market manifold
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

ive got an au fairlane got defected the other day for to loud and tint, rang up regency where they go over the car and my elderbrock manifold isnt ilegal? so pretty much u cant have a car with engine mods in s.a
also any one know the hight requirement for the front of my car i know the rear is 337 mm from centre of wheel to the guard

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Post subject: Re: WTF its illigal to have after market manifold
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

ea_falcon wrote:
ive got an au fairlane got defected the other day for to loud and tint, rang up regency where they go over the car and my elderbrock manifold isnt ilegal? so pretty much u cant have a car with engine mods in s.a
also any one know the hight requirement for the front of my car i know the rear is 337 mm from centre of wheel to the guard

yes, you're correct, they don't like you to put aftermarket stuff on late model cars...its all down to the ADR (Australian Design Rules) relevant to your vehicle .. the newer it is, the more rules you have to adhere to - their concerns are probably around the pollution gear that you may possibly no longer have fitted....

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

ea_falcon wrote:

True.. technically you cant but i have aftermarket block, heads carb exhaust and police never bothered me so go figure.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

hmm it sucks big time now i need to look for a heap of stock parts just to go through..
its funny cant have a little upgrade like an aftermarket manifold but then u can have 330 kw GT out the factory cruzing on the street with no problems
even though my fairlanes mint and is just a cruiser i dont think shes going to come off defect witch out alot of money to return her stock :(

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Its not just SA of course, they're Australian Design Rules... but yeh it shows how many people don't really abide by them...with the pollution related ones you can be fined , I hear, up to 10 grand a day for a garage and a grand a day for individuals who have knowingly removed pollution gear.. now, if the aftermarket manifold or carby or whatever doesn't have or allow for fitment of all the original pollution gear they you could get done for it...I've said it before, its the best thing about owning and modifying a pre `74 (ADR 27 A) car - you can do so much more legally.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Do the Aussie law writers actually think there are hundreds of thousands of people just itching to modify their cars with the sole aim of deliberately sabotaging the environment? That is law making gone crazy. Who or what does it actually benefit? Over in NZ we have zero emissions laws - anything goes, so long as it's not a safety issue and it doesn't smoke for more than 10 seconds after start-up. But 99% (or more) of the population only use their car to get them around, they couldn't care less about modifying it. This demonstrates that the lack of emissions laws doesn't propagate a huge sector of the population to modify their cars from stock fitment. Most of the population are happy with what the factory provides them with.

It sounds to me like those laws are being written by uninformed people on some weird power trip.....

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

how many people mod their cars to an extent that it effects the engines emissions? Like <0.5% of all the driving population. How the f**k does it make any difference to the world?

EL Ghia

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:23 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Grind the Edelbrock off the intake and stick a Ford badge on there and they won't know what they're looking at...fixed!
btw, the Edelbrock Performer is C.A.R.B legal which is a much more stringent emissions law than ours. This is what you get when public parasites who know nothing are put in a position of power....just like a certain ranga!

p.s that 75mm t-body will actually be hurting your performance.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If you can find the CARB specs for your manifold, probably on the Edelbrock website, you might be able to show that it meets tighter rules than what the car was originally built to, and if you have a stock ecu, you should be able to safely say you at least meet, if not get even lower emissions than the emissions standards the car was originally built to = defect cleared.

Do you have a stock ecu?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'm no lawyer but I don't think the laws actually say you can't modify - more like you still have to meet pollution requirements or whatever it is that ADR refers to...the 1976 I think ADR talks about maximum amounts of CO2 or some other measurable pollution in the tailpipe - I don't know how that applies to later ADRs but my point is, if you can demonstrate that you meet pollution requirements then maybe you're OK? The only problem with that is it probably involves engineers signing off that it does comply, and that means dollars...

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

What if the car was on straight gas, would the laws still stand on the after market intake manifold?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

again I reckon it comes back to satisfying the ADR, so straight gas may allow you to be OK...

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

That intake manifold will not cause it to fail ADR's.
Besides, performance wise, there's no advantage to it over an AU Explorer intake so you may aswell put that back on and leave it on and use no bigger than a 70mm t-body and you'll be in front performance wise to boot.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

This is what it all boils down to.

By law your ECU should be locked interms of tuning. No fuelling adjustements, no ignition mapping adjustments. The only adjustment legally made is a base timing adjustment (if ther car has a dizzy). Even that should be a set and forget item out of the factory.

By swapping over the inlet manifold to a better breathing item you have altered the air flow through the engine. Because the ecu is supposed to be "locked" the fuelling has not been adjuested and your mixtures are slightly out. The chemical composition of this new leaner mixture when burned results in a different ammount of the various gasses coming out of the tail pipe. Even if you were to adjust the mixtures back to what they should be, this extra fuel has released extra carbon which is bad for the air (cause rhys.c said so).

Now this is where who ever wrote the rule book in this country should get shot.
Because the fuel requirements are ever so slightly different and some lazy f**k beureucrat could not be f**k organising a test (even if its paid for by the parts manufacturer) to show what the difference actually is and if its actually better/same/worse for the trees and bob browns in this world. Hell, said beureucrat is so f**k lazy that he/she could not even be f**k reading up on identical tests which have already been performed overseas with a more stingent testing regime.

Seriously, our public servants in this country are nothing more than brown nosing aspiring political kill joys. I bet they are so far out of touch with reallity that they don't even know who they are anymore.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

the only thing that surprises me with this whole topic is that some people are talking like its a new thing...been around since the mid 1970's...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next