Fordmods Logo

XF V8 Conversion 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XF V8 Conversion
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:37 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 95 EF XR8

QLD, Australia

Has anyone done a conversion on an XF to an efi 302W? I'm about to have a go at doing it but I'm unsure which engine mounts I'll need. I don't know if I need XE V8 mounts or whether I'll need AU V8 mounts as the motor came out of an AU Falcon. I've got a mate who's a mechanic thats gonna give me a hand - thankfully - but I'm wondering if anyone knows any obvious probs I will run into on this conversion? I've seen it done before so I know its possible but any ideas would be appreciated.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hey mate,
i think getting the engine in won't be too difficult, the efi system on the other hand may be abit tricky, with looms, etc. what transmission are you running? if you get a E series V8 auto or manual box would be good, not sure how well they would fit in the tranny tunnel though, unless your gona run a C4 or C10?

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

try and source a crashed xr8 xg ute or something then ya got ya loom ya computer ya gearbox and eninge

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:47 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i would say the best bet would be to use xa-e engine and body mounts. i have seen an xf with a clevo, and that's all it used. maybe dramas with the heater hoses ? the clevo head hits the part the hoses go onto on the firewall. windsor is more compact though. there is also a sticky in the v8 section about 351w into an xe. might be worth a look. also the x-series section.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

5.0L Windsor is an easier fit than a Cleveland, at least you don't have to take the dash/heater box out to change heater outlet.

XR9UTE stated once before the heater outlet is still a problem if you use tall rocker covers.

There would be luck to be 10mm clearance to the firewall on the left head with a Cleveland and if the firewall has the high series insulation it has to be removed.

Windsor and Cleveland use the same engine and gearbox mounts.

XA-XE engine mounts bolt straight on, unbolt the six cylinder mount and you will find there is four holes underneath for the V8.

Depending on what transmission and/or year model the XF is to whether the gearbox cross-member bolts straight on, late XF (series II?) done away with the C4 forward mounting holes, but this is easy to fix.

C4/FMX kick-down linkage will not fit, there is no firewall clearance like XE backwards. XA (maybe earlier) and some XB used a kick-down cable from firewall throttle linkage, maybe using the gearbox kick-down bracket and custom cable if you wanted to use a C4/FMX and have a kick-down.

I think 5.0L Windsor has problem problems with A/C compressor clearing shock towers, the member "SMICK" or something like that has or had a 5.0L fitted to a XF.

I have worked on a XF ute fitted with a 5.0L carby engine, plenty of clearance, on the other had I fitted a Cleveland to my XF I had back in 92 and there is no room, it isn't that hard except for relocating the heater outlet (I wouldn't call that hard these days, plumbing supplies are your friend).

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

The engine I have purchased is an AU III 5.0L (the 175KW motor), it has the original 5-speed gearbox with it so I'll be using that if I can fit it in. The motor comes with the ECU and wiring loom plus all the accessories ie. starter motor, ac compressor, power steer pump. I've also got a 3.27 disc brake lsd to put in as well. I've gotta sort out the conversion from rear drums to discs as well. I'll just be happy to get the motor in for now though.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

There is a memeber on here that has put an entire XH XR8 into an XF sedan. From memory he used XY mounts. Do a search there is a thread on here its a blueprint XF

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:27 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: any modeL fORD fALCON 6 or 8

New Zealand

Hey M8.. Check my gallery, have an XG.. EL 5L 4spd auto 3.27 d/brake LSD (original diff and driveshaft) XA engine mounts. Headers are ED stock items, 2 into 1 original single exhaust (yeah i know.. budget:) EL V8 radiator/thermos.. needed an ECU interface to make it all work, all rewired by a young talented friend:) my ute's bench seat column shift.. youll need an XG intank fuel pump. Front coils should do the job, I have fitted cobra super lows and gas shocks for comfort and look..

Have you driven a REAL Ford...lately?

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

G,day mate,

I've done the conversion u want to do. I used a XHII Xr8 donor ute. And yes i did have to smash in the passenger shock tower a little for A/C compressor to fit.....

i also used the BTR Auto box, but had to get custom crossmember made for it. Also custom exhaust (from Liverpool Ex.)

heres the link to my build:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

4RDPWR wrote:
Hey M8.. Check my gallery, have an XG.. EL 5L 4spd auto 3.27 d/brake LSD (original diff and driveshaft) XA engine mounts. Headers are ED stock items, 2 into 1 original single exhaust (yeah i know.. budget:) EL V8 radiator/thermos.. needed an ECU interface to make it all work, all rewired by a young talented friend:) my ute's bench seat column shift.. youll need an XG intank fuel pump. Front coils should do the job, I have fitted cobra super lows and gas shocks for comfort and look..

Thanks for the info mate, very helpful. Just got 2 questions - whats an ecu interface? And why did you need one?

xf84 wrote:
G,day mate,

I've done the conversion u want to do. I used a XHII Xr8 donor ute. And yes i did have to smash in the passenger shock tower a little for A/C compressor to fit.....

i also used the BTR Auto box, but had to get custom crossmember made for it. Also custom exhaust (from Liverpool Ex.)

heres the link to my build:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

Damn! Thats one tough looking XF... If I end up with something that looks half as good as yours I'll be happy.
When you say smashed in the shock tower???? Lol. Was it as simple as flogging some sheet metal out of the way? I always assumed that would make the tower weaker, but it looks fine in your car.

I can't wait to give this a shot now, fingers crossed it all goes well.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: any modeL fORD fALCON 6 or 8

New Zealand

Hey thanks for that.. the technical name for it is FORD B.E.M. SIMULATOR. A simple 3 wire hookup.. red-ignition. black-earth and white-smartlock data line. it bypasses smartlock.. my ute being early 93 wasn't fitted with smartlock but ecu from EL motor/trans is, hope this puts you on the right path.. maybe a '93 XG gearbox crossmember will get you around having modify yours:)

Have you driven a REAL Ford...lately?

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

jamesy3 wrote:
The engine I have purchased is an AU III 5.0L (the 175KW motor), it has the original 5-speed gearbox with it so I'll be using that if I can fit it in. The motor comes with the ECU and wiring loom plus all the accessories ie. starter motor, ac compressor, power steer pump. I've also got a 3.27 disc brake lsd to put in as well. I've gotta sort out the conversion from rear drums to discs as well. I'll just be happy to get the motor in for now though.

Let me know the catch code of your EEC jamesy. If you do not have the entire harness with the Key,ignition lock, BEM and EEC it will not start. Because this AU uses smartshield if you have any of that missing it won't start. I've started on enabling AU EECV support with tweecer so if you happen to have a catch code that I am testing you'll be able to switch smartshield off as well as recal the engine to suit your vehicle/mods. I am about to test this using my EFI 351C with a BTR 4spd in my XG van(yes I caved, I wasn't going to V8 the van but hey 4.0's suck!).

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
jamesy3 wrote:

Let me know the catch code of your EEC jamesy. If you do not have the entire harness with the Key,ignition lock, BEM and EEC it will not start. Because this AU uses smartshield if you have any of that missing it won't start. I've started on enabling AU EECV support with tweecer so if you happen to have a catch code that I am testing you'll be able to switch smartshield off as well as recal the engine to suit your vehicle/mods. I am about to test this using my EFI 351C with a BTR 4spd in my XG van(yes I caved, I wasn't going to V8 the van but hey 4.0's suck!).

Thanks man! If I run in to trouble I'll give you a yell. I havent got the EEC yet but the whole lot should be here next week. They have sent me the engine loom, EEC, BCM (they cut it out of the loom but left the plugs on as they reckon it was too hard to remove all the wiring from the dash), and also the ignition barrel and key (once again with the plugs but loom missing). I'm hoping I can reconnect the ignition to the BCM and the BCM to the EEC without major dramas. I'm hoping this should get me around the need of an aftermarket interface?
This job keeps getting bigger and bigger lol but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

hey guys i'm in the middle of doing this same conversion but i'm using and nc II engine with an au3 btr gearbox, used a set of xe clevo engine mounts and it fitted sweet (without the a/c comp.) but the auto mount is what is causing me grief!! has anyone got a pic of a mount done previously or know who would make one.. ps it going in an 85 xf panelvan.. cheers

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:57 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

RIDDO wrote:
hey guys i'm in the middle of doing this same conversion but i'm using and nc II engine with an au3 btr gearbox, used a set of xe clevo engine mounts and it fitted sweet (without the a/c comp.) but the auto mount is what is causing me grief!! has anyone got a pic of a mount done previously or know who would make one.. ps it going in an 85 xf panelvan.. cheers

Have a look at an XG 4.0L. Ive got an XG van that I'm going to fit my EFI Cleveland to with a BTR gearbox. I'll try to get a shot of the mount before(with 4.0L) and after.

Pete.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next