xh 5L exhaust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: xh 5L exhaust
Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont EF

WA, Australia

the old mans just bought an xh 5 litre, wants a nice exhaust note from it.
he's going for extractors and exhaust, but he's not sure whether to go for a 2.5 or 3" pipe.
i thought id come on here to see what some people are using? Which would provide the best note? And also which would suit the car the most?
btw the motor wont be recieving anyother performance mods.
thanks

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

single 3 inch should be ok i guess.

mine has a single 3 inch but admittedly has a fair bit of work done to it

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Manual or auto?

Does he only want a single pipe or is he willing to go twins?

If i was him i'd go for a twin 2 1/4" system with one twin in/out muffler in the centre, and depending on how loud he wants it, either twin straight through pipes to rear bar or have have resonators.

How much do ya reckon he will spend?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont EF

WA, Australia

the cars an auto, he is prepared to spend around the $1500 mark, im not sure if he would go twins tho, if he went with twins would'nt there have to be another hole cut on the left side of the bumper?
if thats the case he wont like that idea.
is there a noticable power gain/loss btween a 2.5 and a 3" single pipe?
and do they sound much different??
keeping in mind the engine wont be modded any further than this

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nah mate, i'd go a twin system exiting out the same side at the rear.
By far the nicest crispest sound for the std 5.0L IMO. I think the single 3" will drone too much while cruising, especially being an auto.
The single 2.5" will probly do, will be fairly quiet and i'm pretty sure wouldnt drone alot, if he was to only get a single 2.5" mandrel he could get that and a set of pacemakers for $1500.
I think you would also get pacemakers and a twin 2 1/4" press bent system for $1500 if you shop around.
All above estimate prices would be for mild steel.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:12 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

the xh xr8 actually comes with a twin system from the factory as described above. not sure on size on the standard xr8 system though.

oh an xh5lwepn, check out page 78 of the current issue of aussie brutes...

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Trikee wrote:
the xh xr8 actually comes with a twin system from the factory as described above. not sure on size on the standard xr8 system though.

oh an xh5lwepn, check out page 78 of the current issue of aussie brutes...

Std twin system size on the XH XR8 is 2", mine still had the standard system on it when i got it, but the centre mufflers had been been replaced with hotdogs, still had the 2 resonators in the tailpipe though and the standard 3" single chrome tip.

Dont usually get aussie brutes mag but i think i may just have to get this one Trikee :lol:

Oh and falcon_gt_351, is the old mans an XR8 or just a V8S?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: eb

VIC, Australia

ive got a 3 inch pipe with one mufler and a resinater in the back and its got a nice note too it, not to loud just right

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Dont usually get aussie brutes mag but i think i may just have to get this one Trikee :lol:

you dont usully get it cos its the first issue back in 18 months. all good though

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Trikee wrote:
XH5LWEPN wrote:

you dont usully get it cos its the first issue back in 18 months. all good though

Nah just dont usually get them, cant stand looking at all the commodores and poxy rural utes full of stickers and aerials, just not my cup of tea really.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fairlane

WA, Australia

My brother had an xh xr8 with a 2 1/2" exhaust and 1 straight through muffler no resinator it wasnt very loud the cats on fords do most of the muffling i had a mate with an el 5L with twin 2 1/2 inch no mufflers or resinators it was still quieter than most commodores with exhausts

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:10 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Nah just dont usually get them, cant stand looking at all the commodores and poxy rural utes full of stickers and aerials, just not my cup of tea really.

not as bad as you might think.....

nudge22 wrote:
My brother had an xh xr8 with a 2 1/2" exhaust and 1 straight through muffler no resinator it wasnt very loud the cats on fords do most of the muffling i had a mate with an el 5L with twin 2 1/2 inch no mufflers or resinators it was still quieter than most commodores with exhausts

standard cats are very restrictive. best off spending the money and getting some high flow cats to make it worth while actually have a bigger exhaust.

a bigger exhaust doesnt necessarily mean its louder. my brother has an SS ute with a 3.5 inch exhaust on it, and my xr8 with only a 3 inch on it is louder. all depends on muffler and catalytic converter selection and quality. you dont slways get what you pay for and dont go for the cheaper crap either.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2000 cobra R mustang

VIC, Australia

I will have to agree that cats do make a huge difference. Although there are many people who will debate this issue. Anyway i hated the exhaust tone from my car, it came with a catback exhaust 2inch leading into a 2 and a quarter inch tailpipe. For a V8 it sounded like a off tone f@rt :? . I slap on some pacemaker extractors, a little bit more difference in growl but it wasnt loud. No idle rumble at all. Then i replaced the cats with stainless steel highflow cats, and what do you know! big difference!

I removed the rear resonator and replaced it with a straight through pipe and it brang the car's tone up heaps. Although, the stainless steel cats and pacies will set you to about $1500 altogether (including installation). So this is a quest that i up to you.

heres a clip of my car still with pacies, highflow cats and that crappy 2inch exhuast (i have a clip of the car before the stuff was put on if you want to compare the difference)

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2yzk5yx

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]