Fordmods Logo

XH XR8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XH XR8
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

QLD, Australia

I'm looking at buying a 98 XH XR8, and was wondering what to look for. It has 235,000km on the clock, the engine seems to purr nicely doesn't blow any smoke and the car overall looks well looked after. The big problem for me is that it doesn't have any record of service history. Also they have it advertised for $11990, which I believe is a bit high and obviously neg. Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:17 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2010 g6e turbo

SA, Australia

is it auto ? beware of the 4spd auto with more than 200,000 K's especially when it's bolted to a v8 with no service history

2010 G6E TURBO

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:53 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

check for rust particuarly the area where the fuel tanks are stored, can be accessed by a removable panel. If it covered in deadner be aware.

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

yeah the transmission would be the main concern. a windsor engine will probably outlive you! :P.
Make sure you check out suspension etc. Get it all checked out!

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Being 1998...is it an XHII?

The XHII had GT40 heads, and a Cobra intake manifold. They are sooo much better than the E7 and HO intake used previously.

Plenty of potential for big horsepower in that combo with just a cam change.

EDIT: sorry make that GT40P "Explorer" heads, and the ELGT intake (was that a tubular GT40?). Came with roller rockers too....More info here, http://www.fpv.com.au/theheritage/ute/1 ... ility.aspx

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I thought all the XR8's in the XH range were the XHII. Thre heritage site said that these XR8's were the first since the XD's.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

xr8ute wrote:

The XHII had GT40 heads, and a Cobra intake manifold. They are sooo much better than the E7 and HO intake used previously.

EDIT: sorry make that GT40P "Explorer" heads, and the ELGT intake (was that a tubular GT40?). Came with roller rockers too....More info here, http://www.fpv.com.au/theheritage/ute/1 ... ility.aspx

What do you mean GT40P "explorer" heads. What is the difference between them and E7's and the gt40p's found on the AU's. The heads on mine show no external signs of being gt40p's. Mine is a 1999(jan) XHII XR8 5spd. I havent had the rocker covers off as yet to have a squiz at the roller rockers.

And 90UTE $11990 isnt a bad price really if the exterior and interior are fairly immaculate. It is a fair few k's but these are pretty rare utes being only 624 of them made and the majority of that being auto. I picked up mine for $15000 but had only 107,000k's and that was with some paint damage to the bonnet and bumper aswell. I wouldnt mind seein some pics of the ute your talkin bout.

Cheers Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Dont let the Kays worry you. I did the heads on mine 2 weeks agao, and she has 210000 on the clock and it still had hone marks on the bores. I have had it since 135000 and i punish it hard. They take a lot of abuse.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I ended up getting it for $11000. The body and paintwork is immaculate. The suspension has also been redone. I have photos so I will upload them later.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Photos are now in the gallery.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

XH4LWEPN wrote:
xr8ute wrote:

What do you mean GT40P "explorer" heads. What is the difference between them and E7's and the gt40p's found on the AU's. The heads on mine show no external signs of being gt40p's. Mine is a 1999(jan) XHII XR8 5spd. I havent had the rocker covers off as yet to have a squiz at the roller rockers.

And 90UTE $11990 isnt a bad price really if the exterior and interior are fairly immaculate. It is a fair few k's but these are pretty rare utes being only 624 of them made and the majority of that being auto. I picked up mine for $15000 but had only 107,000k's and that was with some paint damage to the bonnet and bumper aswell. I wouldnt mind seein some pics of the ute your talkin bout.

Cheers Jeff

Probably won't have roller rockers. Only the AU 220 had roller rockers. The GT40Ps I bought were from a 200kw AU XR8 and they had the pressed rockers.
GT40Ps are the same as explorer heads so the same as AU V8s.
I believe the only difference in GT40P in the AUs were possibly some little porting on the 220s and porting on the T3 series.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

XH4LWEPN wrote:
What do you mean GT40P "explorer" heads...
...I havent had the rocker covers off as yet to have a squiz at the roller rockers.

I just meant GT40P's are otherwise known as Explorer heads, as they originally came out on Ford Explorers in the states (after the Mustang started using the 4.6L modular engine).

The FPV site mentioned this engine has roller rockers. They are probably the bolt-on Crane/FMS 1.6:1 rockers. The AUII 200kw engines got these roller rockers as well.

Pretty sure they got decent tubular 4-1 extractors, like the AU's as well.

The XHII XR8's are pretty nice utes. I almost bought one, but got distracted by the black AU1 XR8 ute at the other end of the car yard :P

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU Fairmont I6

VIC, Australia

Nice, do you have any plans of modding it or you just gonna keep it stock

Ford Fairmont AU
www.aufalcon.com/aujls

My Ebay items for sale

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Keep it stock for the time being, probably convert to dual fuel as it will be a daily commuter. Eventually will do some sort of mods like extractors and exhaust and then go from there.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:34 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

XH XR8's were only in XH2.

they came with a 5 litre not much unlike the AU 5 litre. all XH XR8's came with GT40P heads, where the standard 5 litre came with E7 heads. they also came with the explorer manifold we have al come to love.
and the extractors were the same items used on EL GTs

my XH XR8 is fitted with alloy SVO heads with !.73 ratio roller rockers, ford motorsport cam, adjustable vernier gear, difillipo headers(nice big 4 into 1's), plus a bigger throttle body, MAF and injectors.
also runs bilstein coilovers up front with reset leaves and bilstein shocks down back.
all the mods are easy to do to these.

plus mines extra special cos its the only one out of all 624 to come with a full factory leather interior.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next