Fordmods Logo

Xr 8 ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Xr 8 ute
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:57 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb

QLD, Australia

Hay guys im just after some help, im just wondering why there are so few xr8 xh utes for sale i have been looking every where for the past 2 months. Any opinions cheers.

Post subject: Re: Xr 8 ute
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Cougar

QLD, Australia

probably because they didn't make many - it wasn't much of a bargain compared to a VS or VT Holden ute

=================================
68 XR7 Coupe (302W) - 69 Convertible (302W) - 70 XR7 Convertible (428CJ)
70 Eliminator (351C 4V) - 2002 AU XLS Tickford Ute - 2010 FG G6

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Because there was very few made I believe, also only available in xh2's.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb

QLD, Australia

Ok cheers guys

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

leonbray wrote:
probably because they didn't make many - it wasn't much of a bargain compared to a VS or VT Holden ute

I reckon they were a heaps better bargain than a VT ute....

I wouldn't have paid anything for a VT ute considering they never existed. The first of that series was the VU which didn't show up until the VX platform in the Commodore. 2000 I think was the first year they came out, by which time the AU XR8 ute was available, 1999 being thier first year.

Having said that, the VS ute was a much newer platform than the XH (still based on 1979 architecture FFS), had a better motor and looked only about 1000 times better...... I know which one I would've and still would buy if I was looking!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

philaddis wrote:
leonbray wrote:

Having said that, the VS ute was a much newer platform than the XH (still based on 1979 architecture FFS), had a better motor and looked only about 1000 times better...... I know which one I would've and still would buy if I was looking!!

Not entirely true...
The whole front end, firewall forward of an XH is an EF/EL.
And i think XH XR utes look alot better than the VR/VS ones.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
philaddis wrote:
leonbray wrote:

Not entirely true...
The whole front end, firewall forward of an XH is an EF/EL.
And i think XH XR utes look alot better than the VR/VS ones.

That reporting is sort of like an episode of 'Today Tonight' hahahahaha

Nice use of emotive pictures..... One of the nicer looking XH XR's I've seen and possibly one of the worst VS utes...... Get a pic of a nice original VSIII SS and you'll have a hard time convincing too many people that the XH is a nicer looking unit...... The VS with it's smooth lines and integrated look just smashes it on the eye in my opinion Each to their own tho of course!

As for the architecture, the platform itself harks back to the late 70's. I admit there is a fair bit of contemporary engineering in the drive train and front suspension, but otherwise, she is pure art deco!! Anyone else notice the dash board is almost exactly the same as the XF??

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

djinsane.
There were only 624 XH XR8's ever made, all of which had the 185kw engine and the majority of them being autos. Yep they were only in series 2 aswell late 1997, 1998 and early 1999.
They very rarely come up for sale so when you find a nice one, snap it up.

Philladis, fair enough alot of the XH components are old school. They are a "bitsa" ute. Lets have a look what they get. EF-EL front end, EL mirrors, XF style doors (inc handles), EL seats, XF shaped dash with EL cluster, EL Steering wheel and column, ED centre console and XF style rear exterior (tray, tailgate etc).
Only differences on the body apart from front end, front fenders and mirrors are the piece surrounding the back window and the rear bumper also.

So yes the XH vs the VS ute as far as modernised design goes the VS had the upper hand, but get behind the wheel of one and tell me which one is better to drive. The commodore is still a commodore and will always be a commodore which means S#^% handling and drving comfort. The As far as the 90 model Falcons against the Commodores, the Fords have and always will be a nicer car to drive, full stop.

I may be biased though but in my opinion all EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-XG-XH falcons look and drive alot better than all VN-VP-VR-VS-VG commodores, sedans, wagons and utes.

Get the XH XR8 mate, you wont regret it. After all, they are THE FIRST EVER XR8 ute Ford made.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:49 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

And another thing;The SLAS front end of a falcon s**t all over the poxy mcpherson strut that commodes have and their whole platform is just superceded opel record...read s**t!
The Ford can also actually carry a load.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AUIII XR8

VIC, Australia

I own an XH XR8 and they are a great car to drive must say. Especially the steering it steers great. Yes they got the 185kw motor which is not a massively powerful engine but quick enough to keep up to and beet some SS commys, and others will leave you behind. Apparently there were only 22 manuals made, dont know if this is accurate. But most were autos. The bonnet and guards are unique to XH. The roof is also different to XF. XF's have a flat roof XH's have a slightly curved roof. Doors are same as XG which are different to XF in the lock mechanism, and handles. I think diff and springs are same as EL wagons. They did not come with GT40p's (good first mod on these cars) only E7's and for some reason the V8 didn't get an EGR if it had the Explorer manifold and some got the Cobra manifolt which was also found on the ED XR8 Sprint. So lots of parts used from other cars and lots of unique parts. Hope this is not too much info. Thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]