Fordmods Logo

250 crossflow 

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

For towing a turbo is a pain in the a**e. It all depends on where the boost kicks in though. Crossflows are hard to set the boost in the rite spot.

Superchargers are much better cause they give power across the board.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

id rather have a turbo anyday with towing. i wouldnt care what type it is or when the boost comes on. Ive towed with a turbo deisel 4b and a BA xr6 turbo. and my mate tows with a celica turbo... i dont see how it will be unreliable either.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

for a custom setup tuned for a quick street car, it'd probably be more unreliable.
but yes i agree a turbo probably would be better for towing, hence why there is so many turbo's and not many supercharged 4wd's

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

The reason i said that it wasn't good for towing is cause thats what i was told by a no it all guy at work who has since been proved wrong by my boss's son who now drives one and tows a boat.
I'm not happy, i've been filled full of s**t again. Anyway

Now the turbo option looks a bit more feasable, where do you start planning a turbo setup.

What size turbo? 2 or 1? Intercooled or not?

Has anyone got a setup that they could recommend, pics?

Cheers

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

personally id start planning by either saving up around 4g first or slowly buying items when the cash comes in... i tend to have heaps of different ideas and then end up blowing my money doing other stuff... im saving up for a supercharger kit now and am not gonna worry much til i got the dosh to equal my dreams. a couple of searches will get you some good info on what you need for a turbo setup. everyone is pretty helpful around here and they all tend to be on the same wavelength with setups and what you need etc.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I would love another chance to do another 250.

Use an XE/F EFI Motor, and EFI Runners.
The Throttle Body already on it is a good start, but you need the XF ISC as it works the same way as the EA/B one.

BUild your 250 correctly : Last time for me that meant a good bottom-end, the head off to Gatt Bros in Sydney (Alloy head with XC Steel-head sized ports!?) and a decent cam (I was heatseeker 2 - didnt need more). Good set of headers, and change the Injection gear over to EEC-IV using an XF TFI Dizzy and the sensors from an EA/B Multipoint and the same ECU.

That takes care of the airflow problem with the flapper air box, and they are a nice engine to drive. incredible torque.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Nigel

Is that what you did with a turbo setup or naturally aspirated?

Sounds good either way, i think i will do that mod when i build the engine.

What model turbo should i use? I can get a guy to do the manifolds for next to nothing.
Do i need to run an aftermarket ecu if i run a turbo or can i get away with just running the eec-iv

Cheers

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

my understanding was that turbos were invented originally specifically for towing??

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the only problem with the XF TFI Dizzy is you can only adjust the base timimg and if you run a preformance cam there is no way of adjusting the rpm/ramp for advance timimg. i have a mild 250 crossy runs a 350 holley and the xe/ef reluctor type dissy, i have been thinking of using xf efi manifold and TB with the EB sensors and ecu the only thing stopping me is the TFI Dizzy, the cam i have needs a graphed dissy.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You can use an XD/XE/early XF dizzy, they can be regraphed easily, have done it to several over the years. If you go injection, you will need a piggy back ECU or similar.
My boss at work has a 600 vac sec Holley on his 250, and goes pretty hard.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
You can use an XD/XE/early XF dizzy, they can be regraphed easily, have done it to several over the years. If you go injection, you will need a piggy back ECU or similar.
i run a early dissy and it has been graphed, why the hell does ya boss need a carby that big on a 250 ? struggle to need a 500 holley on a 250.

Post subject: 250x flow
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

WA, Australia

Hi the original motor in my coupe was this same beast a 250x flow.nothing flash bog standard just freshened and i used to tow a double horse float with two horses onboard plus camping gear. Used to leave the turbo patrols and big toyotas for dead. You can do a heap to these motors just in the standard trim they haul a***.

XC 396 Scat stroker

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fastleno wrote:
cjh wrote:
i run a early dissy and it has been graphed, why the hell does ya boss need a carby that big on a 250 ? struggle to need a 500 holley on a 250.

Because he said make it go, so i did, i picked the cam package, ported the head, port-matched the in. manifold, and the extractors, set up the 600 with centre float bowls, another power plate at the rear, made the fuel pump into hi-flow unit, and split the fuel lines, so it has f & r pipes to the carby. He is happy with it. The next job with it is to build an alloy airbox for cold air intake. I'll try to put pics on here when finnished.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have a fairly warm 250 and i had a 450 spreadbore on it an it just made it lasy, put the 350 on jetted it up to suit and it runs like a diffrent motor heaps more responce and just runs better alround. here is a genaral rule i use, engine cubic inch multiplied by the maximum RPM and divide by 3456.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fastleno wrote:
i have a fairly warm 250 and i had a 450 spreadbore on it an it just made it lasy, put the 350 on jetted it up to suit and it runs like a diffrent motor heaps more responce and just runs better alround. here is a genaral rule i use, engine cubic inch multiplied by the maximum RPM and divide by 3456.

The boss even put a 3" exhaust on it too, to see how it went over the 2&1/2" one that was on it. I forgot to say that I regraphed the dizzy, and fitted roller rockers ( adjustables), and it has 10:1 comp ratio. The valves have a 3 angle cut to them and the inlets are back cut as well.
It has a reasonable idle, not too lumpy, and starts to pull at about 1800 rpm, has 4sp B/W HD, and 2.92:1 LSD. This is getting changed soon to 3.27:1 LSD.
Anyway, it runs fine with the 600 on it.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next