alloy head swap for 4.1 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: alloy head swap for 4.1
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: '79 XD Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

I'm seriously considering removing the iron head and replacing it with an alloy head, along with the XF carb setup and extractors. I'll also be upgrading the dizzy to a early XF (non EST) so I can kiss goodbye to the points dizzy.

I've read that the piston dish is different in the iron head crossflows compared to the alloy heads, and that swapping to a alloy head bumps up the compression.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any more light on this.

http://www.xfords.com

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:52 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i'm not sure about the piston dish, but i'm sure it wouldn't be much. why not bang it on and see ? the alloy head and manifold should be a huge improvement.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

briney wrote:
i'm not sure about the piston dish, but i'm sure it wouldn't be much. why not bang it on and see ? the alloy head and manifold should be a huge improvement.
I'm going to anyway, I'm sure it will be a huge improvement, just not sure if it'll raise the compression enough to make it require 98 fuel or not, that's all.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED Fairmont

NSW, Australia

They SHOULD be run on premium anyway considering up to series 1 XF they were meant to. Other than that you shouldnt have any hassles.

While you've got your alloy head off the car, why not take it down to the local head shop & get them to do the valve seats in it so it can run on regular?? Maybe even get some other headwork done like springs, hone etc etc.

Myspace - www.myspace.com/theboss_290gt

MSN - theboss_290gt@hotmail.com

- Add me

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

SleeperEL wrote:
They SHOULD be run on premium anyway considering up to series 1 XF they were meant to. Other than that you shouldnt have any hassles.

While you've got your alloy head off the car, why not take it down to the local head shop & get them to do the valve seats in it so it can run on regular?? Maybe even get some other headwork done like springs, hone etc etc.

Get an 87 model XF cyl head from the wreckers, its unleaded already, just overhaul it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Thoughts of the day.

1. The alloy head 4.1's have two dowels to locate the head to stop them from moving around. You cant put them on a steel head block easily. Alloy head on works ok, but you may get issues with the head gasket.
2. From memory there is a water passage that is or isnt... I dont think it mattered.
3. The dizzy - The later ones (electronic) had a different shaft size. You may be ok depending on the year of your engine. I dont believe it will just fit properly.

Have you thought about just picking up a complete engine? - if we can get AU ones for $100-200, then surely XF engines arent expensive.

You'll also get one for ULP then

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Thoughts of the day.

1. The alloy head 4.1's have two dowels to locate the head to stop them from moving around. You cant put them on a steel head block easily. Alloy head on works ok, but you may get issues with the head gasket.
2. From memory there is a water passage that is or isnt... I dont think it mattered.
3. The dizzy - The later ones (electronic) had a different shaft size. You may be ok depending on the year of your engine. I dont believe it will just fit properly.

Have you thought about just picking up a complete engine? - if we can get AU ones for $100-200, then surely XF engines arent expensive.

Nigel

True that ^^^^. Get an engine that has "86DA" on the passenger side of the block.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Yep water jackets are different.
Id just look for an XF unleaded motor and slide her.
I have an XF unleaded block (no extras, no head) if you want it you can have it.
West of Melbourne.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
Nigel wrote:
Thoughts of the day.

Nigel

True that ^^^^. Get an engine that has "86DA" on the passenger side of the block.

84da can be unleaded aswell. best to look at the casting on the side of the head
E1 is EFI leaded
E2 is EFI ULP
C1 is Carby leaded
C2 is carby ULP

the 86da blocks were more used in the late 87 xf's and in the late utes/vans.

the 86DA blocks also use the same crank as a EA and uses the EA flywheel on them.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
3. The dizzy - The later ones (electronic) had a different shaft size. You may be ok depending on the year of your engine. I dont believe it will just fit properly.Have you thought about just picking up a complete engine? - if we can get AU ones for $100-200, then surely XF engines arent expensive.

Nigel
I've got a complete XF engine here, but the head needs to come off anyway on that because it's done the head gasket. I could always just rebuild that engine, and may end up doing that, but it never hurts to look at all the available options does it? :)

I know about the water galleries and locating dowels, neither of which are an issue, water galleries are close enough it makes no difference (compare an iron head crossflow headgasket to an alloy head one), and my understanding is that the iron head block doesn't have the locating dowel like the alloy head block does, which is no problem looking at these pics I took...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]